Started Propecia - Side Effects

sparky1980

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got a prescription from my doctor for Propecia and have been on it for almost 4 weeks now. Since starting it I have been experiencing some "side effects" that I haven't noticed anyone else mention before.

The first side effect I have been experiencing is sort of like a very slight weak or numb feeling throughout my body, though I notice it mainly in my arms. This is very slight and I only really notice when I stop and think about it. It's almost like the feeling you get when a limb "falls asleep" but it's far less pronounced.

The next thing I have been noticing since starting Propecia is kind of strange and harder to explain. It feels almost like very short, abrupt "pulses" or "twitches" in random parts of the body. These occur quite infrequently and for a very short period of time (about the length of 2 or 3 fast "pulses"). It's hard to tell if they are a muscular twitch or something else.

The last thing I have been experiencing, and what I am probably most concerned with is that I have been having aches in my sides and lower back. They are very minor and aren't really bothersome. Sometimes it almost feels like a light burning sensation. I'm worried that it may be my kidneys(?) having a bad reaction to the medication and don't want to damage them.

Other than that, I haven't been experiencing any of the side effects other people mention.

Also, I went the first two weeks on 1mg / day and then switched to taking only half a pill / day after that. Since halving the dosage the "pulsing-thing" has decreased a lot, though I haven't noticed a decrease in the other side effects.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced any of these things and if they cleared up after some time.

I will be seeing my doctor at the end of the week to check in with him and see what he has to say about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

Stingray

Reaction score
You might be allergic to the stuff. Try getting off it for a couple weeks to see if they subside... if not, then it might just be in your head, if they do, then talk to a doctor. You know your body better than anyone else.. any time a red light pops up, don't sluff it off.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Muscle twitching is common when the body is slightly stressed. When I get very very fatigued or a stress is happening on my system, I get muscle twitching. Some people get it in the fingers. Mine, oddly enough, happens on my right eyelid. Its funny and irritating at the same time, but it goes away when I get rested and strong again.

Several of the side effects I had when first going on Propecia surrounded that general theme. Strain on the body. You've induced a change that has caused the pendulum of hormones to start swinging, and your body may be a little stressed... thus the aches and twitches. Dont know if you've also been feeling a little tired too. This is common.

The worst thing you can do right now is start modifying your dosage. Going from 1mg to 0.5mg is only going to kick things off kilter a little more. The goal here is reaching equilibrium again. You've inhibited DHT in your system, and your hormones are going to swing like a pendulum a little now. The body will overcompensate and undercompensate with Testosterone production until its reached an acceptable equilibrium. This is why its well known that propecia related side effects actually *decrease* with time.

My advice is to stick with 1mg and give it at least 4 weeks. Chances are all of this will completely go away in 1 or 2 at the most. Its that initial change that you're experiencing. Make sure you get lots of rest and eat right for a few weeks, take care of yourself, dont burn the candle at both ends, and you should be fine after that.

If it keeps up or worsens after 1 month, consider dropping to 0.5mg and giving it another month. If things still do not resolve, just drop the treatment. You'll be fine under all scenarios.

HairLossTalk.com

Joel

Reaction score
Sparky, it is highly possible that the things happening to you are a complete coincidence.

Why I think this: I just started taking Proscar (1.25) today. I am 25, and I have experienced the muscle twitching/pulsing that you described for years. However, I also recently started feeling the soreness/burning in my lower back and sides. Don't have a clue what it is, but it can't be anything related to my hair. It usually happens in the morning while getting ready for work (in the shower or getting dressed). Almost seems like the muscles down there are complaining because they aren't getting enough sleep. :wink:

About the numb feeling... I can't say I get it randomly, but it does happen to me sometimes. Usually it is a direct result of poor posture or extended periods of time at work using the mouse (happens to my wrist a lot). Long road trips and spending more time on the toilet than necessary will cause my butt to go numb too. :oops:

Cassin

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Muscle twitching is common when the body is slightly stressed. When I get very very fatigued or a stress is happening on my system, I get muscle twitching. Some people get it in the fingers. Mine, oddly enough, happens on my right eyelid. Its funny and irritating at the same time, but it goes away when I get rested and strong again.

Not to odd. This is actually a common thing for people who get twitches at all to have them in the eye or even mouth. I was under extreme stress over a year ago and this started happening to me. I remember this same thing happened to my mom when she was going through her divorce. I have read a few things about this, and their are many theory's about it. None sound to reasonable and the next article I read seems to be just wash out the other, just seems to be a side affect of body stress be it mental or physical. Anyway, look it up and you seem to mostly come across sites offering Botox as a cure.

It's odd because it would last a minute or so. And stop suddenly. This maybe happened 5 or 6 times a week for about 6 months when things were totaly out of control with stress.

Anyway, I wonder if it is some sort of muscle memory, because it still seems to happen from time to time for me when I get a little stressed, even though I havent been remotely stressed for a long time as I was a year ago.

Anyway Sparky, I am just saying it probably isn't the Propecia. Just life.

pkpkpk!

Reaction score
Another side effect I have experienced is ACNE and oily face.

I thought my acne was gone for good, but propecia just brought it back. Hormones are getting out of whack.

I have been on it for nearly 5 months.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Joel -

Yup, being tired is probably a big factor. Lower back aching/pain could also be a huge indicator that your mattress is too soft, or you've developed a bit of a "concave" in it. The lack of support while sleeping, or the odd way in which the bed positions you can always do this.

Pkpkpk! ... very common side effect - acne and oily skin.

Again it goes like this: First couple weeks, DHT is inhibited - this leaves a lot of excess testosterone floating around, because it cannot bind and create DHT anymore. That excess testosterone almost immediately shows itself in traditional ways - puberty like symptoms. Oily skin, zits, etc. The body will then start to metabolize that testosterone in the liver and convert it into estrogen. Your oiliness should then dry up quite nicely (for some, it dries up way too much and they develop flakiness in the T area of the face). This usually happens in the 3 to 5 week mark.

If you dont modify your dosage at all, and keep things as consistent as possible, you will help your body reach equilibrium once again, faster.

HairLossTalk.com

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Joel -

Pkpkpk! ... very common side effect - acne and oily skin.

Again it goes like this: First couple weeks, DHT is inhibited - this leaves a lot of excess testosterone floating around, because it cannot bind and create DHT anymore. That excess testosterone almost immediately shows itself in traditional ways - puberty like symptoms. Oily skin, zits, etc. The body will then start to metabolize that testosterone in the liver and convert it into estrogen. Your oiliness should then dry up quite nicely (for some, it dries up way too much and they develop flakiness in the T area of the face). This usually happens in the 3 to 5 week mark.

If you dont modify your dosage at all, and keep things as consistent as possible, you will help your body reach equilibrium once again, faster.

HairLossTalk.com

Just the answer I was looking for too. Great post. :)

random32

Reaction score
sparky1980 said:
Hi everyone,

I got a prescription from my doctor for Propecia and have been on it for almost 4 weeks now. Since starting it I have been experiencing some "side effects" that I haven't noticed anyone else mention before.

The first side effect I have been experiencing is sort of like a very slight weak or numb feeling throughout my body, though I notice it mainly in my arms. This is very slight and I only really notice when I stop and think about it. It's almost like the feeling you get when a limb "falls asleep" but it's far less pronounced.

The next thing I have been noticing since starting Propecia is kind of strange and harder to explain. It feels almost like very short, abrupt "pulses" or "twitches" in random parts of the body. These occur quite infrequently and for a very short period of time (about the length of 2 or 3 fast "pulses"). It's hard to tell if they are a muscular twitch or something else.

The last thing I have been experiencing, and what I am probably most concerned with is that I have been having aches in my sides and lower back. They are very minor and aren't really bothersome. Sometimes it almost feels like a light burning sensation. I'm worried that it may be my kidneys(?) having a bad reaction to the medication and don't want to damage them.

Other than that, I haven't been experiencing any of the side effects other people mention.

Also, I went the first two weeks on 1mg / day and then switched to taking only half a pill / day after that. Since halving the dosage the "pulsing-thing" has decreased a lot, though I haven't noticed a decrease in the other side effects.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced any of these things and if they cleared up after some time.

I will be seeing my doctor at the end of the week to check in with him and see what he has to say about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

Did you get it sorted? I thought I was going mad, it is so relieving to hear other people in similar conditions!

G

Do you make exercise?

If you follow a sedentary lifestyle, that could be the explanation...

But better get checked with your Doctor.