some dermmatch ramblings and applicator dysfunction

stevemcqueen

Reaction score
dermmatch after two weeks has given me hope, despair, delusion and finally back to hope. I am definitly working on the technique, and have been working on styling the hair in conjunction with applying it. taking many many hours but my girlfriend is away and i have the time. when she returns ( i have shaved it for a yr) she will see my hair. Its been growing now for about a month and I can just about style it and my aim is to have it like i used to, abit liek Jude Laws in Alfie. but i have dark hair.Ive definitly lost alot of hair since stopping rogaine last yr and shaving. I have some major thin patches. Im now using rogaine once a day, boots generic nizoral and proscar img a day.
Ive orderd some hairsoreal, but when my hair grows more its better to style and doesnt look so thin and patchy. The dermmatch has been hard to perfect as I cant figure out how not to have my hand run through and leave them black.
I have gone through 3 applicators though as they keep fallling off the stick thing. Am i being too aggressive? does this happen to anyone else?
You can definitly see a metallic blue colour in sunlight too. Im using Fish shaping cream and Tigi bed head to stle. Not sure which i like best, probably the fish cream when it grows out more.
anyway at 23 i thought i was done. I shaved the f*****g hair and resighned myself to a shaved head. Im lucky that i am blessed with some pretty good looks, but with my head shaved my ears sticked out big time. And i guess i missed the creativity of styling the hair.
from reading these posts, taking the pluge and investing I once again am having a go at having hair. And it's going well. Thanks for everyone for posting infomation.

PS Big up the Gonzo King, hunter S thompson who was the craziest bald man alive.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
stevemcqueen said:
I have gone through 3 applicators though as they keep fallling off the stick thing. Am i being too aggressive? does this happen to anyone else?
That happened to me too! I do think they have to work on making those applicators better.
I think the sponge part fell off on mine because I also was being too aggressive and pressing too hard when rubbing them in the Dermmatch container. Now I make sure the applicator is thoroughly moistened and lightly rub it in the product. Works well!

stevemcqueen said:
You can definitly see a metallic blue colour in sunlight too. ?
Do you use the Black color? I don't know which two colors you chose(since you get one color free if you are a first-time buyer), but I first tried black and found it did not look natural so I switched to my second color(dark brown) and it works much better.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Vinton Harper said:
stevemcqueen said:
You can definitly see a metallic blue colour in sunlight too. ?
Do you use the Black color? I don't know which two colors you chose(since you get one color free if you are a first-time buyer), but I first tried black and found it did not look natural so I switched to my second color(dark brown) and it works much better.
I use the dark brown color as well. If I either apply too much or use Dermmatch without a "wet-look" mouse afterwards, then I have the metallic blue-look as well.

Therefore:
1) 5 minutes after application, then take a paper towel or toilet paper and rub it in your hair gently. This way you will distribute the powder more evenly (naturally) and remove excessive powder.

2) After this, you take a mouse or other styling product that gives the hair a bit of a wet-look. Use it all over. This way it eliminates contrasts between Dermmatch-areas and your normal hair. It's important that the styling product isn't a strong hold one. If it's strong hold, then your hair stick together, making your hair look thinner than it really is.

BTW. Doing the above, will also eliminate the risk of getting excessive powder on your hands when running through because 1) You have removed the excessive powder and 2) you have "locked" the powder with the mouse (now the powder is captured inside the mouse on each hair).

Good luck mate.

And yes - you are doing it too hard!

In general you might benefit from my application tips in this thread:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... sc&start=0

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
I am also experimenting with Dermmatch. I'm a bit of a painter and going from oils to a water based medium like Dermmatch is an easy transition. :)

But I am still trying to get it to look natural. I use light brown, which has matched my hair pretty well, but it lacks the shine and feels "greyish" because of the pigment in the dermmatch. I have some mouse I will experiment with and hopefully that will help.

I'm debating which color I will get next for the free canister I have coming to me. I could go either way: platinum blonde or medium brown..