Some clarifications please

maroon

Reaction score
I ordered some minoxidil (kirkland) but I am yet to pick it up.

Getting a bit frustrated as I'm seeing so many mixed "facts" about it.

Please respond to each question preferably with a link to a reliable resource as proof:

1. Minoxidil is only proven to work at vertex & crown area? But I have seen statements saying it also works for recending temples/hairline. Which is true?

2. Minoxidil on it's own or only combined with nizoral won't do much good in the long run.? (I am only 20 so I'm looking for something that will maintain my current hairline/temples until my 40's/50's)

That's it for now. I have some more questions but I'll add those when these main two have been answered.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate this community.

beaner

Reaction score
1. Minoxidil is only said to work at the vertex and crown area because that is the location on the scalp that it was tested during the clinical trials. It can work in all areas however, it just cannot be claimed to do so by the manufacturers because of this reason.

2. minoxidil probably will not do you any good in the long run unless you are also using something that addresses the underlying cause of male pattern baldness, which is the miniaturization of the hair follicles caused by DHT. While minoxidil will stop your hair loss for a while, thicken up your existing hair, and perhaps grow new hair...your hair follicles are still being attacked by DHT and eventually will succumb.

Now you can get some extra years out of using minoxidil without also using a DHT inhibitor such as Propecia...I've been using it for 4 years with excellent results...still seem to be "maintaining" and am still seeing new growth...I definitely have more hair than I did 5 years ago....but I don't expect to have it in say 10 years unless I do something to address the DHT issue. That is why I've recently started on spironolactone 5% and am probably about to go on Propecia.

As far as you now being 20 and having the same hair in 30 years...its highly doubtful that you will be able to do that with any existing treatments including propecia or dutasteride.....but for long term maintenace you should consider the propecia.

Sorry I didn't post any links to "prove" this to you...I think anyone here can attest to my statements. I could have gone into much greater detail regarding DHT etc....I've learned a lot from this forum. You shoud browse old posts and you'll see what I mean.

maroon

Reaction score
Thank you, that really helped :) I'll take what you said pretty much as facts unless anybody else here disagree with you. I have done a fair amount of reading myself, but obviously I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as you veterans that have already been using these treatments for quite some time.

I am just wondering what is best... Wait for my hairline to recede more (it seems to be moving pretty slow, but i have noticed a difference especially the past year) and then get on both min & propecia when things are starting to look worse (as I am still quite happy with my hair at the moment) OR start the minoxidil straight away to maintain what I have and then maybe add more things to my regimen fro DHT blockage down the line (after a couple of years maybe?).

I'm just not sure. Start now or wait?

A quick summary of my hair:
- Dark blonde, thick with good coverage. However when I shampoo my hair etc it feels "thinner" at the frontal region. This didnt use to be the case.
- Recession started at temples... "Thinner" on the left but "receeded" more on the right. I guess it can be called a "semi-mature" hairline as it's uneven and not very dramatic.

I do have some concerns about minoxidil...
- If i'm out I am likely to come back drunk, and so applying minoxidil to my temples would probably end up in my eye(s) or worse (use your imagination). How would I fit it in with my lifestyle?
- I hear it's greasy and I really like the dry/textured look. Will this conflict when trying to style it?

beaner

Reaction score
I would suggest you should probably do just the opposite of what I did. I opted to start minoxidil because I really did not have much of a clue regarding other treatments as well as DHT etc. (and they used to advertise that Rogaine will "keep the hair you have"...so I figured as long as I used minoxidil, I was in the clear. Not true.)

You should probably beging your treatment with Propecia/Finasteride or another DHT inhibitor/blocker and save the minoxidil for later if you think you would like some extra growth. I guess it's best to start at the "root of the problem." If you don't want to take meds there are other alternatives, that while may not be clinically proven do have scientific backing to them....products such as Revivogen, Crinagen, or maybe Spironolactone (prescription topical).

Or if you wish to use minoxidil as well, I hear the use of propecia and minoxidil combined provide the best results as far as maintenance and regrowth. minoxidil can be used only once a day as well if you chose and would more than likely still be beneficial. Just remember, once you do start minoxidil your hair will become a junkie. If you stop, anything maintained or grown by the minoxidil will fall out within 6 months.

My advice would be to start with something to inhibit/block the DHT...give it a year and see what happens. You always have the minoxidil to fall back on.

As far as using minoxidil. and your lifestyle...well like I said you can use it once a day and probably see a benefit....so during the work week you can use it at night so it wont matter if it makes your hair look like crap and on weekends, just use it when you're sober, lol. Dr Lee makes a very non-greasy minoxidil formula as well...check out http://www.minoxidil.com for his products. You need to email him for a "consultation" He will email you back some forms which you need to fill out and mail back to his office. (this is california legal stuff I guess..needs your signature) Then you can begin ordering his products....there will be a 20 dollar consultation fee with your first order. (note this is for USA residents only....this procedure is not required if you live outside the USA.)

maroon

Reaction score
This makes perfect sense.

However, I have read rather concerning things bout propecia and how it's actually accelerated hairloss at the hairline region for some instead of offering maintenance (?) I'd hate to take the plunge, and then suffer a shed that "never stops" until im NW2/3 (permanently), and then only maintain something I wasnt losing in the first place.

Appart from that, there is the sides... But if these occur & persist i'd just have to drop it - no permanent damage done.

Then there is the cost of propecia & the fact I will need a prescription to actually get hold of it.

Hmmm. So what IS actually the "best" DHT blocker for temple/frontal regions?

beaner said:
I would suggest you should probably do just the opposite of what I did. I opted to start minoxidil because I really did not have much of a clue regarding other treatments as well as DHT etc. (and they used to advertise that Rogaine will "keep the hair you have"...so I figured as long as I used minoxidil, I was in the clear. Not true.)

You should probably beging your treatment with Propecia/Finasteride or another DHT inhibitor/blocker and save the minoxidil for later if you think you would like some extra growth. I guess it's best to start at the "root of the problem." If you don't want to take meds there are other alternatives, that while may not be clinically proven do have scientific backing to them....products such as Revivogen, Crinagen, or maybe Spironolactone (prescription topical).

Or if you wish to use minoxidil as well, I hear the use of propecia and minoxidil combined provide the best results as far as maintenance and regrowth. minoxidil can be used only once a day as well if you chose and would more than likely still be beneficial. Just remember, once you do start minoxidil your hair will become a junkie. If you stop, anything maintained or grown by the minoxidil will fall out within 6 months.

My advise would be to start with something to inhibit/block the DHT...give it a year and see what happens. You always have the minoxidil to fall back on.

beaner

Reaction score
I can't say what the best is, to be perfectly honest with you, but I've just started the 5% spironolactone cream from Dr Lee and from what I hear on these forums, a lot of guys are using it on their hairline and temple region. I, myself am using it on the crown as my temples are doing beautifully with the minoxidil and my hairline hasn't budged in years. I can't attest to the results because I've only started it a couple of days ago but I'll let you know in 6 months.

As far as your concerns with propecia and accelerated hair loss, especially at the hair line, I can't say based on experience, but it's my belief that if this happens at all, it's very rare. From what I've heard it is a possibility that you will go through periods of shedding and regrowth, but in the long run...meaning a year or more....your gains will outweigh your losses or you will have at least maintained.

As far as other side effects, sexual or otherwise...I believe these are rare as well. I tend to think that a lot of guys that start Propecia begin looking for side effects immediately, and any little thing that seems out of the ordinary is being blamed on the drug. My libido, for one, tends to have its ups and downs and I've never touched the drug. My balls also ache on occassion, and again, I've never touched the drug. (I'm in perfect health, by the way) I plan on starting it soon and am not at all worried about side effects. I don't think I will get them.