Smoking & alcohol

larsb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was wondering how much these two items affect hair loss. I've been researching a bit and some sites say it is the devil to smoke cigarettes at all and it screws your hair no matter what the intake is....the same with alcohol. I smoke maybe 5-10 cigs a day during the week and maybe a little more on weekends depending whats going on. As for drinking I have 2-5 per weekday, maybe 24 on a weekend depending.

Any thoughts...I eventually want to quit smoking, but I don't want to be rushed due to this.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure how much cigs and alcohol affect hair but I will tell you if you are only smoking 5 cigs a day i would quit now. Putting it off will only lead to you smoking more and make the withdrawals harder. I'm not trying to preach but take it from a smoker who went through hell quitting, it sucks when you have done it for a long time and hit almost 2 packs a day.

larsb

Reaction score
yeah i used to smoked about that much (2 packs a day) a couple years ago...working at a non-smoking facility and not smoking inside has really cut me down.

i did recently get on propecia due to noticing some scalp in the lights in the bathroom mirror. i don't really get it...sometimes it looks like i'm so thin, others it doesn't at all...i hate not knowing what's going on 'up there'. been staring at it for years freaking myself out...sucks when it overtakes your life.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hey Lars,

If you have a big lightbulb, or florescent bulb over your mirror, it will not be a true reflection of the condition of your hair. Take a mirror outside, or by a big window, in day time with the light on, and this is a pretty accurate view of your hair, or take a video of your hair outside.

As for smoking and drinking, I do both, for years now , and it has not had any effect on my hair.

PS been on propecia and minoxidil for 8 years now, still holding steady, even when I drink and smoke a lot.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The skin issue alone is enough to not smoke imo. If your balding atleast do it with style looking young :whistle:

Flipperdipper

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to smoke and drink. Don't become a slave to this, because in reality, small things like drinking and smoking wont effect you if you have male pattern baldness. I know alcohol brings up estrogen levels, so if anything it might slow it down. :whistle:

johnbbbb

Reaction score
I don't if there's any correlation between alcohol/tobacco and male pattern baldness.

But for your own well-being I would strongly encourage you to stop smoking. Smoking is terrible for your heart and is a major risk factor for developing cancer.

As for the alcohol, I believe research shows that moderate drinkers (1-2 drinks per day) actually on average live longer than non-drinkers.

andysutils

Reaction score
Flipperdipper said:
Don't be afraid to smoke and drink. Don't become a slave to this, because in reality, small things like drinking and smoking wont effect you if you have male pattern baldness. I know alcohol brings up estrogen levels, so if anything it might slow it down. :whistle:
it would make your hair worse, not the opposite lol

DHT and hairloss is even more extreme where high estrogen is present, I dont believe DHT alone causes hairloss, only in a high estrogen environment.

marklee

Reaction score
Yes Smoking,Alcohol,everything you consume not only affects your hair but can be found in your hair for months and sometimes years later. And obviously they can affect your skin as well. Particularly smoking.
I'm not going to lecture you, in comparison to some your antics are quite tame just remember the point of doing drugs and drinking is supposed to be about enjoying yourself, if it stops being fun then there's no point to it. :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
This cracks me up, stop drinking and smoking for your general health but dont think its some way to combat hairloss because it is'nt.
I never drank or smoked during or before the time I lost my hair and my hairloss was about as early and aggressive as you can get, and its funny how street bums and wino's always have the best heads of hair.

Stop looking for excuses for your natural m.p.b.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
If you "eventually want to quit smoking"...then why not do it right now? You'll feel better and you'll have more money in your pocket. Plus, it can't hurt your hair to not be a smoker.

s.a.f

Reaction score
FredTheBelgian said:
Of course they affect hair loss, especially alcohol, do some research on the subject, anyway I thought these ones were common sense :dunno: .

Care to give me a brief explanation?

s.a.f

Reaction score
So there you have it....
Bald men of the world you bought it on yourself. Yes folks if you've ever jacked off, smoked, drank, eaten meat, drank milk or worked out you've only got yourself to blame.

See that NW1 next to you? he's never so much as touched his weiner or tasted a beer.

But help is at hand just take those vitamins say your prayers every night and it'll grow right back.

[attachment=0:mqw6puvv]homeless.gif[/attachment:mqw6puvv]

I guess this guy must be wearing a piece?

Does'nt alcohol lower testosterone levels???? :whistle:

Attachments

• homeless.gif
    homeless.gif
    74.5 KB · Views: 295

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Fred there showing he's not good at handling being outwitted.

I think somehow I'd much rather have saf on my quiz team than you Fred you bipolar hippie loon. :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Strange that I find it annoying when people come on here preaching about their own 'theories and cures' especially those who are hairloss newbies but think they know it all. You dont realise that I've seen countless guys spouting the same crap as you over the years and the outcome is always the same.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, there are some articles on smoking and hairloss, but I haven't heard about the connection with alcohol.

Indeed, those articles on the connection of smoking and hairloss do make sense. It's a well known fact that smoking clogs up the arteries, so it's possible that smoking contributes to hairloss.

Martyn

Reaction score
Well smoking and alcohol both are not good for health. These things effect our hair also. We should avoid the use of these things because smoking and alcohol both are dangerous for health.

Dion

Reaction score
Hi larsb,
Both smoking & alcohol are bad for health and effects health and might cause hair loss.
Some effective tips to quite smoking and alcohol:
Makeup your mind and stick to your goals,
Do consult your doctor and follow his advice,
Keep your teeth clean,
Make your quit day special,
Put money you would spend on cigarettes and alcohol in a saving box and plan for a treat tomorrow,
Avoid going to places where you might find smokers and drinkers,
Do start exercise and try to be regular,
Do sleep for 8 hours daily.

atomic

Reaction score
If I am what is considered a social smoker, how much of an effect does smoking in my case have on my male pattern baldness? I give myself that classification because it is not often that I smoke, I've only been smoking this year and the most I've had was 6 in a week, and this was only once or twice. I also went through periods where I wouldn't smoke for at least a month.
I know that it is implied that if you start smoking occasionally then it definitely leads to regular smoking, but personally I think it is different for everyone, as I am the case.
It is very difficult for me to find an answer because usually research is assumed for regular smokers. Is anyone else here in the same boat as me? If it is of any importance I also jog about 2-3 times a week. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
I think if you're going to lose your hair, you're going to lose it...smoking or not.

I used to work for a guy who was 57 years old, smoked nearly 2 packs a day for 30 years, had a drink every night and was still a NW1

I'm in my 20s, don't smoke, i get drunk MAYBE 1 time a year (any other time I drink, which is rare, i might have about 3 beers tops) and I'm losing my hair.

Lifes a b**ch hah.

I do notice though that when I do drink, If i have like 3-4 drinks/beers in a night, the next day I will shed a bit more in the shower. but i'm not sure if this is just me linking 2 things together in my head that arent necessarily related or if it really is the alcohol that makes me shed more