"Slave to Minoxidil?"

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm always reading post from people who are reluctant to start minoxidil because they don't want to be a "slave to minoxidil".

Are there any treatments out there other than hair transplants that you can use for a period of time, regrow the amount of hair that you want/can and stop?

If finasteride works for you aren't you a "slave to finasteride"?

If you find a combination of products that work it seems that you need to keep using them to maintain, correct?

Basically what I'm saying is that Minoxidil seems to have the worst rep in this area and I wonder why. All the other treatments pretty much have the same requirements (daily use), right?

Mer

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
guess its because its a effort putting it on and waiting for it to dry as oppose to taking a pill daily, which is far easier.

The Gardener

Reaction score
minoxidil takes me a few extra minutes twice a day. About the same time as is required to brush my teeth.

Am I a slave to minoxidil? Well, no more so than I am a "slave" to my toothbrush.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
minoxidil takes me a few extra minutes twice a day. About the same time as is required to brush my teeth.

Am I a slave to minoxidil? Well, no more so than I am a "slave" to my toothbrush.

I find the preparation, timing, and proper application all takes time. Making sure my head is properly clean, at the proper oil and hydration levels, at all times, takes a lot of experimentation.

In other words, avoiding itching while maintaining a good level of absorption takes a lot of work. I'd definitely say it's like being a slave. But it's been so damned effective for me, I'd be stupid to complain.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep -- being on Minoxidil is a LOT like being a slave.

Being wrenched from your home and family, some of whom were killed in the process. Being transported across an ocean and watching fellow slaves drop like flies around you because of disease and starvation. Getting picked to work for free for a rich family because your gums looked healthier than the guys before you. Toiling away on back-breaking labor all day with little food and water. Retiring at night to living quarters slightly more presentable than the family dog's.

The similarities are uncanny.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Freestyle said:
Yep -- being on Minoxidil is a LOT like being a slave.

Being wrenched from your home and family, some of whom were killed in the process. Being transported across an ocean and watching fellow slaves drop like flies around you because of disease and starvation. Getting picked to work for free for a rich family because your gums looked healthier than the guys before you. Toiling away on back-breaking labor all day with little food and water. Retiring at night to living quarters slightly more presentable than the family dog's.

The similarities are uncanny.

I don't get it, or your agenda. Why the mocking tone? At least someone happening upon my post -- wondering about taking minoxidil for the first time -- is going to gleen a lot more information from my words.

Incidentally, when people talk about being a slave to minoxidil, it's in a figurative sense. In other words, once you start taking minoxidil, you are forced to continue in order to maintain proper results. And the amount of time needed, in a certain way, robs you of your freedom. This isn't rocket science.

mattj

Established Member
Reaction score
Freestyle usually makes me laugh. This outburst was just preachy.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Freestyle meant to say that we seem really spoiled over something so trivial as applying minoxidil twice daily as opposed to waht other people have and do go through in their lives

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
wangho75 said:
Freestyle meant to say that we seem really spoiled over something so trivial as applying minoxidil twice daily as opposed to waht other people have and do go through in their lives

Exactly.

Relax. It was all very tongue-in-cheek.

In fact, I had my slave type that up.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wangho75 said:

Although, I would have welcomed something like this. At least it would have been a lot less extraneous, and far more relevant. I don't have the time to waste, much less the time to apply minoxidil twice daily.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
wangho75 said:

Although, I would have welcomed something like this. At least it would have been a lot less extraneous, and far more relevant. I don't have the time to waste, much less the time to apply minoxidil twice daily.

I have no idea what you just typed.

You really struggle to find the time to apply Minoxidil twice a day?! Really?! Like, one minute in the morning and one minute in the evening?!

Wow.

Are you one of those guys who has to shake thirty times after having a piss, and takes forty minutes to iron a "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt?

Minoxidil and slavery? No comparison whatsoever.

Those that make the comparison are idiots. Plain and simple.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I am 100% certain that you have 4 minutes per day to devote to minoxidil application. I'm 100% certain that you're being dramatic about how much time you have and don't have. Stop your silly "I don't have time" BS. It's not the case. If you don't want to use it, don't use it....but don't make it sound like you don't have the time...because friend, I'm 150% certain that you're not that important.

joseph49853 said:

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
I am 100% certain that you have 4 minutes per day to devote to minoxidil application. I'm 100% certain that you're being dramatic about how much time you have and don't have. Stop your silly "I don't have time" BS. It's not the case. If you don't want to use it, don't use it....but don't make it sound like you don't have the time...because friend, I'm 150% certain that you're not that important.

I guess it depends on how able you are to prioritize your day. You would have to factor in time, between: work, school, chores and activities, exercise, eating properly, recreation, family and social life etc. to determine whether minoxidil is right for you. I know a few people who have trouble fitting weightlifting or general exercise into their daily lives and routines.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Freestyle said:

You really struggle to find the time to apply Minoxidil twice a day?! Really?! Like, one minute in the morning and one minute in the evening?!

Wow.

Are you one of those guys who has to shake thirty times after having a piss, and takes forty minutes to iron a "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt?

If you're thinning or balding and using minoxidil, you are dependant on its results. But that dependance can certainly be called or compared to whatever you choose.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Freestyle said:

Wow.

If you're thinning or balding and using minoxidil, you are dependant on its results. But that dependance can certainly be called or compared to whatever you choose.

No.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
hairwegoagain said:

I guess it depends on how able you are to prioritize your day. You would have to factor in time, between: work, school, chores and activities, exercise, eating properly, recreation, family and social life etc. to determine whether minoxidil is right for you. I know a few people who have trouble fitting weightlifting or general exercise into their daily lives and routines.

Yes, but weightlifting and general exercise can take anywhere from 20 minutes and up per day.

We're talking 2 minutes a day here.

And not even in the one strenuous and ultra-long two minute block -- we're talking one minute at a time.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing the counterpoint now. I don't think you really believe what you're saying. Because that would make you a grade A jackass.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:

Those claiming they can't exercise are just making excuses too. I'll admit, I've made them re: exercise, but they were completely false. The leader of the free world has time to exercise daily. We can too. Like minoxidil, it may be INCONVENIENT at first, but you quickly make it a part of your daily routine. Don't confuse "don't want to" with "can't."

In the time it took you to type the above reply, you could have applied minoxidil. Get up 2 minutes earlier than you usually would and go to bed 2 minutes later. If you say you can't do that, you'll be tellin' a story.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What are you guys even arguing about anymore? That you have more time in your day than me? Or that you enjoy applying minoxidil? Or that hardly any time is devoted to your hair restoration regimen? Seems like a lot of incivility and aggression over nothing.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
No, my statement is pretty simple.

There are a lot of reasons one might not want to use minoxidil, and they're legitimate. Itchiness, messiness, irritation, flaking, systemic side effects, etc.

However, "not having time" is not one of them. If that's the reason someone isn't using it, then what he's really saying is that he's 1) not that concerned about regrowing hair (which is fine if that's the case!) or 2)is too lazy to make minor changes in his schedule to accommodate 2 minutes in the morning and bedtime.

If someone doesn't want to use it for whatever reason, that's fine...but don't use time as an inhibitor.

joseph49853 said:
What are you guys even arguing about anymore? That you have more time in your day than me? Or that you enjoy applying minoxidil? Or that hardly any time is devoted to your hair restoration regimen? Seems like a lot of incivility and aggression over nothing.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Fine. That's a lot more reasonable statement, which is all anyone could ask. Although, rectifying the admitted "Itchiness, messiness, irritation, flaking, systemic side effects" does take time. There's a learning curve involved that's specific to each individual person.

And those few minutes you devote to routinely prepare your head for minoxidil application, and *everything* associated with its usage, *really* start to add up over a period of years. So if it's minutes daily for minoxidil vs. seconds for finasteride, I think most reasonable people would opt for the latter. I don't believe it has anything to do with laziness. There comes a point where taking on too many tasks becomes a detriment -- a decision of quality vs. quantity.

Maybe maintaining your hair is a major focus, and maybe the three hours a week maintaining my fitness is of paramount importance. We're all a 'slave' to a certain extent to some influence, object, task or person in our lives. And for every individual the decisions over needs and wants are going to be different. But all I would suggest is that people have enough real-world information to weigh the pros and cons of minoxidil application.