Six years on finasteride

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a long time, but thought I'd stop by with an update. (Pardon me for posting info about finasteride that most of you probably already know.)

I started finasteride almost six years ago -- in July 2000 -- at age 21 to combat a thinning vertex and temples. As of right now, I have almost all the hair I started with. The vertex has thinned out a tiny bit more than when I started, as has one of the temples. But most of that minor thinning happened within the first couple years I was taking finasteride (2000-2002). I have almost everything I had in 2000 and pretty much the same as I had as of one, two, or three years ago.

I've been taking 1.25 mg/day of Proscar (a 5mg Proscar pill quartered) almost the entire time. My very first batch was a month's worth of Propecia (dumb, but I didn't know any better), but then I learned in August 2000, from this very website, about Proscar as a cheaper alternative, and switched after just a month paying the higher Propecia price. (BTW, the last time I mentioned being on this site in 2000, all these people wrote comments saying that HairLossTalk.com wasn't around then; well, it was, but all the posters' registration dates were moved forward when it switched to new software; plus back ca. 2000 you didn't need to register in order to post.) Quartering the pills has been extremely easy, and I've only lost a couple of doses over the years through accidentally crushing a pill into powder instead of getting a clean split. My insurance picked up the cost for most of the period (a lot will cover Proscar but not Propecia, since Proscar is meant for BPH), until I switched insurance more recently. But even so, a year on 1/4 of a Proscar pill per day doesn't cost that much at all.

My first year had shedding, even at the nine month mark -- which, I gather, is unusual though not unheard of. When I was still having periods of shedding as I approached a year on finasteride, I was totally freaked out, and thought I was damaging my hair, making the male pattern baldness even worse, etc. Well, the shedding subsided and the vertex thickened back up. (By thickened up, I mean that the additional thinness from the shedding went away as hairs cycled through, not that I gained vertex hair above and beyond my July 2000 benchmark.) The first year was tough, but I'm really glad I gave it that amount of time even when I was frustrated.

Nothing dramatic happened along the way in terms of regrowth. I probably didn't get any regrowth at all. But since I caught it early, and started early, I'm in pretty decent shape. I'd definitely like to get back more vertex and temple thickness, but if I can just continue to maintain -- as I've been doing for almost six years -- I'll count myself lucky.

Now I do get nervous sometimes, wondering if, as I move farther and farther past the five-year mark, my hair will start to slide again. I know the peak effectiveness -- in terms of haircount measured against baseline, is at two years -- and it slides on the graphs after then. So I'm still apprehensive, and really hoping for advances in all the cloning, etc., just so I have some more options. But finasteride has definitely gotten me closer to the date when these technologies will be a reality. I know I could add topicals if things go downhill again, but the one time I tried them (a two-month span with topical spironolactone before I gave it up), I was terrible at adhering to the regimen. I don't know if I could stand doing the minoxidil once or twice a day, so a one-pill-a-day routine has worked out really well for me thus far.

I'm not trying to be a Finasteride Evangelist, but I did just want to mention that it's worked for me over a reasonably long time period. I think people on this site get frustrated sometimes because people who have success stop thinking about their hair so much, and hence stop visiting this site and posting about their experiences. I used to check HairLossTalk.com discussions several times a day, back in late 2000 through early 2002, but now I come here very seldom. I just don't worry about my hair as much, except for the occasional annoying moment when I'm combing it and wishing that even the minor temple/vertex thinning were gone.

Anyway, good luck everyone! Glad to read all these other success stories in here, and congrats to those who've found effective regimens.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Wow, a GREAT post from a HairLossTalk.com veteran.

We are not worthy :)

Thanks for coming back and relating your experiences to us.

This is another proof that Propecia DOES work long-term.

Users using Propecia who have shedding their FIRST year and unto their SECOND year should REMEMBER this post.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
awesome. who knows if i will get the same results as you, but it sounds promising. glad to see someone coming back and sharing! i always wonder if everyone goes away because treatments work, or because they say f it and shave their head....

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that great post. I think you will give a lot of novice hair loss patients some confidence, and also help with people who are freaking out about shedding.

Good stuff, and I'm sure you'll keep your hair for a long while.

Thanks again

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the supportive replies, guys!

Yeah, even though I think about "hair issues" a fair amount still (though without that sense of panic and doom that used to pervade my thoughts 24/7), I haven't stopped to remember the shedding angst in a long time. Now, looking back, I remember all kinds of consuming fears -- where, say, I'd vigorously tousle my hair with my hands over a desk for thirty or forty minutes, just so I could count all the tons of hair that fell out and compare the number with the day before. Wish I'd been more laid back about it at the time.

The big shedding, if I remember right, was the end of first month to mid-third month (with minor acne), then around month six, and then an extra big shed in months ten and eleven. That last one really had me bothered. I completely would have quit finasteride had I not read HairLossTalk.com posters reassuring nervous shedders every time I went to this site.

One of the annoying things that bugs me now is that, with my hair slightly longer (like three inches long), and styled kind of messy, the temple thinning isn't noticeable at all, but the vertex thinning is more noticeable. With my hair shorter (tapered using a #3 guard on sides and back), the vertex thinning isn't very noticeable, but the temple thinning is. So I gotta choose which I want to show, and which I want to make less visible. Irritating choice to make!

But that's no big deal compared to what a lot of guys here are going through. Anyway, I'd guess that quite a few guys who disappear from this site have just stopped posting because they've had enough success that they're no longer obsessed, day and night, with the science of hair loss. (And I totally know what it feels like to be that obsessed!)

Reaction score
ropcat thanks for sharing your story. did you have any issues with gyno symptoms? i am now on 1/4 proscar but i do have itchy nipples and i think i don't have gyno but instead have excess fat deposits on my cheat as i do have in my stomach. do you suffer from any of these?

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the update and goodluck

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Ropcat, good info.

I was on the site in 2000 also, and ordered propecia from it, or thru it. I cannot exactly recall. I gave it a try for about five weeks, and my sex drive went thru the roof! I was shooting loads powerful enough to split a turtle, and then at about week 3, I went limp.

I quit taking finasteride at that time. Shaved my head and gave up. Then in 2003 I started with minoxidil, consistently (and had regrowth) and then on Jan 2005, I began proscar and have been on it since, with no sexual sides.

Always wondered why I had sides at the age of 29 but not at 34, when starting the drug.

Anyhow, the site WAS here and we were on it, back then. It looked different though.