Shpuld I quit finasteride 8 months in hair is worse than ever

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
Well been on finasteride for 8 months now at .5mg everyday and my hair has gone to hell espically the front ..wasnt that much a problem before finasteride now its a disaster. temples were receded into a norwood 3 before finasteride of course but noqw my frontal hair is very thin. And I lose more hair daily..I figure i would have noticed something by now by its just getting qworse and worse faster honestly since starting finasteride..so should i quit?
use topicals?

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
did you notice a decrease in shedding since you started...?

times like these, you should follow guidelines and take before and after pictures...nothing would point out treatment success or failure like pictures. not people on this forum.

you should give it a year...it might've helped you maintain. it wont make things worse, thats for sure. i'm not a big finasteride-fan , due to the sides i've gotten from using it for just a month...oily skin..weak beard growth...extreme shedding...zero libido....but from all that i've read...it wont makes things worse...UNLESS..it increased your usual shedding with its t.e and that hair hasnt grown back.

add nizoral shampoo and minoxidil ...

after a year if you still dont see results..i'd dump finasteride and latch onto dutasteride.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jason566 said:
Well been on finasteride for 8 months now at .5mg everyday and my hair has gone to hell espically the front ..wasnt that much a problem before finasteride now its a disaster. temples were receded into a norwood 3 before finasteride of course but noqw my frontal hair is very thin. And I lose more hair daily..I figure i would have noticed something by now by its just getting qworse and worse faster honestly since starting finasteride..so should i quit?
use topicals?

what's in your regimen? Im convinced that hairloss can be caused by a few different factors and if it's not DHT, it's something else, or a combination of DHT and something else. It's better to have alot of bases covered when trying to recover hair and to have your multivitamins, MSM, Grape Seed, and all those things in your regimen is the way to go.

MSM itself deals with cell function and blood circulation among other things. Maybe it's possible that the severity of the blood circulation or hair cell health is more severe than the DHT attacking your follicles (which is covered by finasteride) which is why things arent working for you.

Remember! Alot of people thought and still think that just taking Rogaine will regrow their hair and keep it maintained and alot of people got discouraged from seeing no or minimal results. These people weren't and aren't informed enough on the subject to know that DHT is still killing those follicles. So try to cover all possible reasons why a person can lose hair and add these different things to your regimen.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
yes there is an increase in my daily shedding
and my hair has gotten worse faster in the 8 months I been on finasteride as i stated in my post
i wasnt as much hair or as fast my front has just gotten so damn thin alot thinner than before finasteride i will tell you that

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Surely by comming off finasteride you garuntee you will go bald.Moreover if you stop taking finasteride is there any chance your hair will improve when dht can now do what it wants?At least on finasteride,no matter how bad it is,there is hope.Review at the 12month mark

MOUSE

Reaction score
For what its worth i was on 1/4 proscar for over 12 months and my hair went real bad real fast.....idont know what i was thinking at the time, perhaps it would get better. Well it didnt, oily skin and hair that i was afraid to touch as it was continually falling out. At the time i thought my hair was receeding and after 12 months on proscar it thinned severly and my recession was not the issue from this point on. The crown and top of my head became thin.
Been of it for 9 months and i am much happier with my hair thickness, no pimples and oily skin and my scalp is much healthier too.
I am nolonger stressing about being a human guinnea pig (its a hamster type thing) :D
fish oils and american crew products will do for now

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
so your hair improved mouse after going off of finasteride after being on it for a full year?
please respond

MOUSE

Reaction score
Sorry man been away for a while with work....i still have issues with my hair however i am better off now. In hind sight i wish i never got on the finasteride.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness can come on strong and in waves. You cannot attribute additional loss while on finasteride to the finasteride. It is most likely that finasteride is having little to no effect and you have aggreesive loss, not that finasteride is causing you to loose hair. When you post such nonsense, or seem to imply it, you are unnecesarily scaring off people who are coming here for help. So please stop it.

Reaction score
Thousands of people have had success using propecia....these thousands aren't here posting all the time, they don't take the time because they are happy, their treatment is working.....majority of people that are here posting seem to be those struggling, impatient, feeling unsuccessful..... You've probably read it time and time again on these boards, when using propecia, wait at least 12 months before coming to a conclusion if it works for you or not. Be careful of yourself as well, i find myself thinking at times, dang my hair looks a lot thinner, in all reality i am focusing way to much on it and im seeing things other people around me don't see...take the pill, let it do its job, then do your part, eat right, stay healthy, and forget it about for a while. Good luck peace!

MOUSE

Reaction score
I am not preaching or promoting this drug. i regularly read these forums as they are both informative and entertaining. I did feel obliged to respond to the originator of this topic as his thoughts and observation we exactly as i had experienced...Alot of people state that what works for some may not work for others.
This all seems like some sort of unknown / grey area as there are so many variations in treatments, recommendations etc......I saw 3 derms and got 3 conflicting opinions, this is my 2 cents worth