ShineyDome's Story

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing this site and others since early 2000 when I made **another** attempt to combat this disease I've had since 1978. Back then, I was just 16 and had to deal with all the jokes, the quick looks at your hairline from the guys and the girls, etc. etc. As my hairline vanished, my social life seemed to go with it. Anyway, we've all been there, I'm sure. It just seems to hurt more when it hits at age 16!. My first real attempt to combat this stuff came in 1985 (now 23) when they discovered that minoxidil could help with hairloss. Right out of college, I didn't have much cash but managed to handle (for a while) the $100 per month pharm 2% crush-pills-in-a-bottle routine for a while. I even started working for a pharmacy to get a huge discount to handle the expense...that brought it down to 'round $35 a month. I had great success with minoxidil back then..too bad I stopped. I had an "identity" crisis and went into a tailspin for a few years and finally woke up around 1989. Got married, had some kids and by 1993, briefly considered a transplant, I was norwood 5. Just hated it so I decided to go the hairpeice route...like my father, but that didn't work so well. Seemed like I was more self concious than ever. By 1994, I dumped the peice and shaved my head and started using OTC 2% minoxidil. Which by the way, didn't work at all as well as the 2% pharm crush-pills. Hairloss continued to Norwood 6 until around 2000 when I started *again* to do something. Went crazy with everythin, finasteride, saw, zinc, b6, green tea, minoxidil 5, and again, had great results but terrible side effects! The side effects really bummed me out, could barely get a stiffy and the loads, when I could ejaculate, were 10% of norm. Having no idea of what was causing all of this, I dumped the whole thing and, again, lost all I had gained. It's sad, but I do respond very well to minoxidil, just not very well in the temples, which I resent the most, of course. Well, if you've got this far, thanks for reading my intro, I serioulsy hope to stick with it this time, try not to get discouraged and stay confident.

Cassin

Reaction score
shineydome said:
I've been browsing this site and others since early 2000 when I made **another** attempt to combat this disease I've had since 1978. Back then, I was just 16 and had to deal with all the jokes, the quick looks at your hairline from the guys and the girls, etc. etc. As my hairline vanished, my social life seemed to go with it. Anyway, we've all been there, I'm sure. It just seems to hurt more when it hits at age 16!. My first real attempt to combat this stuff came in 1985 (now 23) when they discovered that minoxidil could help with hairloss. Right out of college, I didn't have much cash but managed to handle (for a while) the $100 per month pharm 2% crush-pills-in-a-bottle routine for a while. I even started working for a pharmacy to get a huge discount to handle the expense...that brought it down to 'round $35 a month. I had great success with minoxidil back then..too bad I stopped. I had an "identity" crisis and went into a tailspin for a few years and finally woke up around 1989. Got married, had some kids and by 1993, briefly considered a transplant, I was norwood 5. Just hated it so I decided to go the hairpeice route...like my father, but that didn't work so well. Seemed like I was more self concious than ever. By 1994, I dumped the peice and shaved my head and started using OTC 2% minoxidil. Which by the way, didn't work at all as well as the 2% pharm crush-pills. Hairloss continued to Norwood 6 until around 2000 when I started *again* to do something. Went crazy with everythin, finasteride, saw, zinc, b6, green tea, minoxidil 5, and again, had great results but terrible side effects! The side effects really bummed me out, could barely get a stiffy and the loads, when I could ejaculate, were 10% of norm. Having no idea of what was causing all of this, I dumped the whole thing and, again, lost all I had gained. NOW, my hair loss continues to progress, and my avatar, is an accurate depiction of how I look today.
It's sad, but I do respond very well to minoxidil, just not very well in the temples, which I resent the most, of course. Well, if you've got this far,
thanks for reading my intro, I serioulsy hope to stick with it this time,
try not to get discouraged and stay confident.

Interesting story. Hmmmmmmm.

Bizarre reaction to minoxidil.

Perhaps just try 5% minoxidil on it's own and try propecia, and drop the other crap.

Goto http://www.hairlosstalk.com/photogallery/pgjonr.htm

You are not lost. There is still hope!

A

Administrator

You're taking 2 Mega Man vitamins per day. Thats too much, even though they suggest it. These vitamins are intended primarily for libido supplementation if finasteride makes you go limp, and to be used only temporarily. They contain saw palmetto and taken for long durations will compound the hormonal modulation you're doing significantly, and unnecessarily, increasing potential for side effects, and .... as everyone knows... the infamous nonstop shedding that saw palmetto tends to cause.

I would drop the Mega Man vitamins and only use them when you absolutely need a kick in the pants libido-wise. After a few weeks you may see better results and less shedding.

Also, why are you custom dosing your treatments? half a milligram of finasteride in the morning and half a milligram at night? At best, the suggestion for doing this came from someone on an internet discussion forum who isn't educated enough on this topic to make such a suggestion. If you want to optimize your chances of results, take 1mg daily. If side effects are an issue for you, consider getting proscar custom compounted to 0.75mg or 0.5mg and take that once daily.

5% minoxidil in the morning and 10% minoxidil at night?

Admin

G

dude shiny dome, you are like an inspiration. Some days i feel really down like i am just gonna lose it all but then i remember your crazy results. I think,"damn if shiny dome can grow back significant hair, why the hell wouldn't i be able to maintain what i got?" After that thought, i just go on with my regiment and hope for the best. Man those results you have are nothing short of amazing. You have gone from being a bald man to a regrowing man. People can't even descirbe you as a bald guy anymore, they would have to say the regrowing guy.