sheri's story

G

hey...i'm a 19 year old female who has thinning hair. i would have never thought I would be saying that, even a year ago. I have recently noticed a lot of thinning in my hair since september. I can definetly notice a difference in density, and I am always wearing my hair up since I am always afraid people are looking at my scalp. i know it only makes it worse. i used to be unstoppable. now i feel like i check out my hair every ten minutes. god help me. anyways, around 2 months before I started thinning I got my 4 wisdom teeth removed, the only "stressful" thing I went through since moving away for college. but independence is fun, not scary for me. i have been maintaining a 4.0 gpa and for a while, i was parting my hair right down the middle for months and running a straight iron through it, not caring about pulling hairs out accidently here and there. i also didn't get trimmed for some time with dyed hair, geez I thought it wouldn't do anything to me. Now I know there is a problem because my Derm said there was a slight one, but that it might be temporary. i am hormonally normal and I have had all my blood work done and checked. the derm gave me rogaine to try but said it would be a good idea to wait and see if my hair is just in t e and grows back in two months. will it grow back that fast? the back is starting to get worse. i want to henna it to make it healthier but I'm scared it will just make it look drier. will highlights kill new growth? so many questions, all this anxiety. I'm scared to start rogaine now b/c it might change my hair's ability to grow back without it. what to do? waiting is torture....... i want to be beautiful again. thx for hearing what i would normally only share with the ones i love

G

Hi Sheri!

Welcome to the board. I too am 19 years old.

As for your hair loss, sorry you have to deal with this. Are you on any birth control, medicine, bad eating habits (anorexia/bulemia)?

As for your other posts, moving out and going to a new school wouldn't produce hair loss. Neither would using a flat-iron or dying your hair, although it certainly wouldn't harm your hair to not highlight it :) If that makes sense.

When you had your wisdom teeth pulled out, were you under general anesthesia or local?

You mentioned you had blood tests, did you check your iron and ferritin levels too?

If you help to answer these it would help us provide you with better advice on the Rogaine question,

Take care!

Laura

G

thanks laura...i'm gonna call the derm and ask about the iron and ferritin. other than that, i'm healthy and have decent eating habits. as for getting the wisdom teeth removed, i was totally knocked out, i don't remember the procedure at all. i'm not on birth control. no medicine. my hair started shedding around a month and a half after the widom teeth removal, and i am starting to see the part in the front getting a little better, but the back is getting a little worse. i'm scared. i ask my boyfriend about it all the time, it's enough to make HIM go bald. thanks again.