Shedding Weird Hairs On Antiandrogens After Years

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, after finasteride at one year, my hair went haywire. Developed scalp issues/pain/itching/tingling all that. Stuck finasteride out til two year mark, took a two month break and now I've been on dutasteride for almost 8 months..

Anyway, my hair sheds like crazy still and a lot of the hairs I shed are tapered at the ends and also tapered and thinner toward the root bulb. Not sure if I'm just still minaturizing or what.. Also, at least 70% of my shed hairs have a type of keratin build up that WILL NOT GO AWAY. I've literally tried everything for seb derm or psoriasis. No treatments work. No steroids, nothing..

So, here are some pictures.. Maybe one of you guys have had this issue and can help me out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    697 KB · Views: 954
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 917
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 934

Lito2

Reaction score
I have not experienced any hairs with bulbs that size. Have you seen a derm or hair surgeon? Have you lost ground in regards to your hair? Receeded any further, or have you thinned more?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all, after finasteride at one year, my hair went haywire. Developed scalp issues/pain/itching/tingling all that. Stuck finasteride out til two year mark, took a two month break and now I've been on dutasteride for almost 8 months..

Anyway, my hair sheds like crazy still and a lot of the hairs I shed are tapered at the ends and also tapered and thinner toward the root bulb. Not sure if I'm just still minaturizing or what.. Also, at least 70% of my shed hairs have a type of keratin build up that WILL NOT GO AWAY. I've literally tried everything for seb derm or psoriasis. No treatments work. No steroids, nothing..

So, here are some pictures.. Maybe one of you guys have had this issue and can help me out

I am wondering if these treatments are inducing chronic Telogen Effluvium in you. Those look like Telogen Effluvium hairs. You say most of them are like this? Are you still having the scalp issues?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not experienced any hairs with bulbs that size. Have you seen a derm or hair surgeon? Have you lost ground in regards to your hair? Receeded any further, or have you thinned more?

I've seen four derms, none of them know what is happeneing. Derms are useless unless you have something simple happeneing like acne or something. And I've receded more, yes. Hair became more diffuse as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I am wondering if these treatments are inducing chronic Telogen Effluvium in you. Those look like Telogen Effluvium hairs. You say most of them are like this? Are you still having the scalp issues?

The bulb is under that keratin looking build up. When I pull the build up off, it looks like a normal hair, however, some hairs I shed are stuck together and one looks normal and the other will be small and thin.. I still get some itching and pressure feelings on my scalp.

I thought about the chronic Telogen Effluvium thing, but when I took those two months off of finasteride, my hair was still shedding profusely and my crown started losing ground..

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen four derms, none of them know what is happeneing. Derms are useless unless you have something simple happeneing like acne or something. And I've receded more, yes. Hair became more diffuse as well.

- - - Updated - - -

The bulb is under that keratin looking build up. When I pull the build up off, it looks like a normal hair, however, some hairs I shed are stuck together and one looks normal and the other will be small and thin.. I still get some itching and pressure feelings on my scalp.

I thought about the chronic Telogen Effluvium thing, but when I took those two months off of finasteride, my hair was still shedding profusely and my crown started losing ground..

Well, Telogen Effluvium would take a lot longer to subside than just a couple months... perhaps you took two months off in the middle of a Telogen Effluvium cycle, then when on dutasteride and bam a few months after it was initiated again. The white, keratinized bulb is a product of Telogen Effluvium.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, Telogen Effluvium would take a lot longer to subside than just a couple months... perhaps you took two months off in the middle of a Telogen Effluvium cycle, then when on dutasteride and bam a few months after it was initiated again. The white, keratinized bulb is a product of Telogen Effluvium.

Where have you read that the keratin issue is a product of Telogen Effluvium? I've never seen such literature in reading.. All I have read is that it could be psoriasis or seb derm, but I've never responded to ANY of the treatments for these. Acv helps a little actually..

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where have you read that the keratin issue is a product of Telogen Effluvium? I've never seen such literature in reading.. All I have read is that it could be psoriasis or seb derm, but I've never responded to ANY of the treatments for these. Acv helps a little actually..

My derm told me that a thicker white bulb around MOST of the hairs falling is because of an abrupt end to the anagen cycle or something... idk anything about hair, so I apologize if this is wrong. I know that I had Telogen Effluvium a few times and every hair that fell out in the sink had a pretty thick white club at the end. Now a days, if I look at the normal Androgenetic Alopecia hairs, it is much much smaller, if there at all...

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
My derm told me that a thicker white bulb around MOST of the hairs falling is because of an abrupt end to the anagen cycle or something... idk anything about hair, so I apologize if this is wrong. I know that I had Telogen Effluvium a few times and every hair that fell out in the sink had a pretty thick white club at the end. Now a days, if I look at the normal Androgenetic Alopecia hairs, it is much much smaller, if there at all...

Your derm is full of it man lol. What I have isn't just a thick white bulb. It's a substance that I can pull off to reveal the bulb beneath it.

Anyone have any experience with this?!?!

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairs started to taper towards the root end after I started finasteride. It's unfortunately an acceleration of the hairloss process. I bet no one mentioned this common effect to you. My guess is that this thinning towards the root is very gradual and not noticeable unless the process is speed up somehow, like massively upregulated AR's, which after 25 years of finasteride use no one seems to ever acknowledge or admit even though it's pretty effing obvious what's happening. The double whammy now, as I have found out recently the hard way by reducimg my finasteride dosage, is once AR's have upregulated, they probably don't downregulate to normal levels of DHT anytime soon. Check out what happened to my hair in four weeks time slowly reducing my dose from .5 mg to .25 mg on the 'discussion about AR upregulation' in the antiandrogens section. I'm sorry I sound so cynical about this but I feel let down by the promoters of AA's without regard to who and who should not be taking them. I would bet that there is a sizable percentage of men who are losing hair because of highly sensitive AR's and not high DHT levels. Men in this category are flirting with disaster when they start on hairloss meds.

wannamyhairback

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
and you never came back and told what happened you. I almost found all your post in every hairloss forums and asked what you did to overcome these issues, how long it took to get rid of club hair shedding and if you ever recovered. its been 6 monthst that i am shedding club hair and thinking its chronic telogen efflivium . Please come back and tell me what you did

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Ziggyz123, did you found any solution?

Have exactly the same problem and I’ve already opened a thread almost a year ago. It went away, now it’s back again.

Shedding increasing, inflammation is coming back, hairs are looking shitier, hairline is going south... almost when I though I won a battle for at least a couple of years.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me just say that it may really be telogen effluvium or that could just be my wishful thinking. My stress is through the roof right now and it always comes back when something bad is going on in my life.