Shampoo question, shedding question

kono23

Reaction score
Hey I really need some help with shampoo's. In fact I need help with everything but the chief complaint is with shampoo's right now.

So my current situation is this I started on propecia 3 months ago, Aug 2003. I'm 20 and I noticied my hair thinning about 6 months ago. I went to see a derm and got on propecia, and intend to stay on it the rest of my life if it works. I'm pretty comfortable with the way my hair looks dry, but I need to maintain every bit of my vertex or its going to be real noticeable.

I know this a long post but if you could reply to any of my 3 questions it'd be a great help, the stress is definitely there some days.

1) I started off using Nizoral 2 times a week, felt some irritation and now use it once a week. I think I'm allergic a bit and I need to switch. I was thinking of trying T sal, or the neutrogena brand, but I've also heard of nioxin. Before Nizoral I never had any scalp irritation whatsoever, but I don't want to neglect my scalp since I've read all the great things about nizoral and similar products in hair maintenace. Also what regular shampoo should I use( currently head and shoulders).
I'm looking for a thorough plan about what I should use day by day.

kono23

Reaction score
some more

2)I'm wondering if I should start on 5% minoxdil. I wasn't too concerned about regrowth before, but now with shedding, I think I may need it on the vertex. The scalp on my vertex is showing slightly more than it did 2 month ago, and definitely more than it did 4 months ago. I wanted to wait a year after I began propecia, because of all the work involved but would that be a mistake.

kono23

Reaction score
final question

3)For the last month or so I think I've been seeing increased hair loss, shedding I know, but is this a bad sign or neutral.2 I've also grown my hair out for the last 2 months, and I've read this may make thinning on the vertex more prominent. Is that right, should I get it cut.

So those are some of things on my mind, I'd appreciate any answers and of course will be checking similar topics on the board(I saw one about nioxin and young men). If pictures of my hair would help with advice I can do that.

unicron73

Established Member
Reaction score
the general concesus will probably say go with a DHT inhibitor for the shedding, because as you said minoxidil is regrowth ---

i will let the others comment on their DHT inhibitor of choice

Cassin

Reaction score
I think your best way to go about it would be to give it more time with the propecia alone.

Your gonna shed, get over it. Most people have to go through it. Probably by the time the the minoxidil would start to work is about the time that the shedded hairs would grow back anyway. It's not like your gonna shed 10% of your hair.

Save minoxidil for later should the Propecia stop working. No need to use all of your ammo up.