Shampoo DOES NOT CAUSE BALDNESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael barry

Reaction score
Warning............Im going to post this over and over....

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Darwin, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin, didn't use shampoo.

President John Adams, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_adams
, didn't use shampoo

Hippocrates, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrates , didn't use shampoo

Francis Galton, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Galton , didn't use shampoo.

Benjamin Frankilin, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_franklin , didn't use shampoo.

Socrates, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates , didn't use shampoo

A balding Roman senator wrote a book about baldness. Baldness, and thinning hair, was very prevalent amongst Rome's ruling class. The first known remedy for baldness found in history was a mixture of crocidile fat and hippopotamous dung in ancient Egypt. Egyptians often wore wigs. Other ancient cultures featured wigs to hide baldness. George Washington, our first president, wore a wig to hide his baldness.

You can view pictures like this one,
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200509 ... _106.jhtml , that show TWO IDENTICAL FEMALE TWINS, with one twin using testosterone, and her ensuing male pattern baldness. This pic, http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200509 ... _107.jhtml , is very telling about what happens when girls take testosterone.
Note, ..........its funny how her new beard does not fall off like her temples despite being washed with soap. For those of you who dont know, soap is much stronger on average than shampoo.

Studies of women who take testosterone show that they go male pattern bald at the same incidnece statistically as men, with the same pattern. http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/c ... /180/1/107

Here is a picture of a woman before and after she got on testoserone therapy, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN
She shaves her body and head now (her head is bald now, and she shaves it), has a beard, and chest hair if you take the time to read about her. Note the facial ageing. This is a common feature of women who get on testosterone therapy. Testosterone ages the dermis. Hair is a dermal tissue.

Testosterone therapy produces body hair, facial hair (real beards) and hairloss in the male pattern in females if they have baldness genetics in their family histories. Women have all the genes necessary to go bald like men do, the just dont have the testosterone.

Androgen receptor blockers that act locally or systemically can halt baldness. Spironolactone creams are used by physicians to successfully treat or halt the progression of male pattern baldness. Finasteride and dutasteride have been shown to increase hair counts drammatically. Men born without the alpha five reductase type two enzyme that converts testosterone into the eagerly-binding subform, DHT, never go bald or develop a great deal of body hair.

Sprionolactone creams have an opposite effect on body hair as they reduce it. They are used clinically in women who have hair on their faces they want to lessen or thin out with success. Ketoconazole tablets also have an anti-androgenic effect (block recetors and inhibit androgen formation) and are used in female hirsutism (excessive body and facial hair) with medical success. Flutamide, a receptor blocker that acts systemically, is often given to female transexuals. It drammatically decreases their body hair and saves their head hair from further loss, but has extreme effeminizing side effects.

Male pattern or androgen baldness can best be summed up by describing it as a process where androgen male hormones bind to head hair's androgen receptors (mainly DHT) and the hairs grow weaker because the dermal papilla's of the hairs release growth inhibitors instead of growth factors to the rest of the follicle. We have been able to identify many of these inhibitors. Some are thrombospondin, Fiberblast growth factor five, TGF_beta 1, 2, and 3. We have idnetified some of the growth factors that the papilla's release to the rest of the follicle also. For some reason, after a time, the immune system seems to get interested in the hair follicle, and marker cells gather around the papilla (hair root) in larger than normal numbers, and the immune system begins to have a moderate attack on the follicle. The immune system sends inflammatory cytokines like Protien Kinease C, TNF-alpha, and Interluekin 1 at the follicle as well as superoxides. Oxides are the primary ageing factors in human cells. Dermal fibroblasts seem to produce excessive collagen around individual follicles, and restrict their enlargement in the early anagen phases (there are eight substages of the anagen or growing phase). The collageneous deposits crosslink and become hard. The dermal papilla cannot enlarge and multiply keratinocytes, and small wiry hairs are produced. Collagenous "streamers" appear underneath the follilce in the next rest phase, and prohibit the downward migration of the follicle in its next growth phase attempt. The follicle is effectifvely boxed in and pushed near the skin's surface, where it will remain.

The skin's appearnace is altered by this point. A man is usually "shiny" bald by now. The fibrosis, or scarring of the skin, has made his scalp harder and thinner, with a fatty and water layer lost. After a long time of baldness, the shiny appearance "breaks" and the skin really gets aged looking, often resulting in liver spots and discoloration.

Human baldness is slightly differentiated from ape baldness by the immunological events that take place therein. Many apes commonly bald. Stumptailed Macaques, orangutans, Gorillas, Bonoboos, Chimpanzees, and others go bald on their heads in recurring predictable patterns. But they don't have the inflammation and fibrosis, and treatments like finasteride can bring back alot more hair in them than it can in us because the tissue around the follicle isn't microscopially scarred and the capillaries therein not irreversibly damaged. As much as a transexual who gets off hormones will see her body hair regrow, these apes can "get their hair back" with finasteride, RU58841 (topical receptor blocker), and other anti-androgenic topicals, where humans only regrow what was lost in the last couple of years and stop losing more hair with these treatments for the most part.

Baldness is an emotional occurence when it happens to young men, and in the rare case that it happens in women. Our diets may induce more androgens in dermal tissues by upping the activity of alpha five reductase, upping receptor expression, lowering production of sex-binding-hormone globulin (that carries about 98 percent of testosterone around in a "bound" and unusable form in most instances), and adding inflammation to our tissues. High glycemic index diets that produce insulin resistance (and thus more insulin) are probably to blame for increasing early onset baldness in Insustrial societies and in the far east. Less phytoestrogenic foods in traditional eastern diets like green tea, soya, phytosterols, fish oils, rice oils and the like may also remove some protective dietary influences against androgens. Foods that induce excessive insulin secretion are pastas, white breads, sugars, fructose syrups, processed foods, excessive starches, and synthetic fats.....which is pretty much the Western diet.

Shampoos are typically only on the scalp for less than one minute, the laureth sulfates and foaming ingredients therein are surficants and are not designed to penetrate the dermis and to rinse off cleanly with water. They certainly never damage body hair on males, and to suggest they damage head hair is ridiculous with traditional usage. Shampoos are much milder than body and hand soaps. Two shampoos have been shown to increase diameter of hairs and anagen percentages of hairs growing as well as decreases in sebum in tests. One were a class of shampoos that contain the aforementioned ketoconazole and the other contains an ingredient called piroctone olamine. Both decreased sebum. The Piroctone olamine is also a strong anti-oxidant. Pirictone olamine does not seem to have anti-androgenic effects in male rats, so its probably not anti-androgenic, and must inhibit sebum secretions by some other means http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co ... ct/16/1/31

Here is a copy of the study describing how ketoconazole and pirictone olamine shampoos can help you grow MORE hair,

Titre du document / Document title
Nudging hair shedding by antidandruff shampoos. A comparison of 1% ketoconazole, 1% piroctone olamine and 1% zinc pyrithione formulations
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
PIERARD-FRANCHIMONT C. (1) ; COFFIN V. (1) ; HENRY F. (1) ; UHODA I. (1) ; BRAHAM C. (1) ; PIERARD G. E. (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Department of Dermatopathology, University Medical Center Sart Tilman, 4000 Liège, BELGIQUE

Résumé / Abstract
Hair shedding and hair thinning have been reported to be affected by dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis. The present study was conducted in 150 men presenting with telogen effluvium related to androgenic alopecia associated with dandruff. They were randomly allocated to three groups receiving each one of the three shampoos in the market containing either 1% ketoconazole (KTZ), 1% piroctone olamine (PTO) or 1% zinc pyrithione (ZPT). Shampoos had to be used 2-3 times a week for 6 months. Hair shedding during shampoo was evaluated semiquantitatively. Hair density on the vertex was evaluated on photographs using a Dermaphot. Trichograms were used for determining the anagen hair percentage and the mean proximal hair shaft diameter using computerized image analysis. The sebum excretion rate (SER, μg cm[-2] h[-1]) was also measured using a Sebumeter [R]. The three treatments cleared pruritus and dandruff rapidly At end point, hair density was unchanged, although hair shedding was decreased (KTZ: -17.3%, PTO: -16.5%, ZPT: -10.1%) and the anagen hair percentage was increased (KTZ: 4.9%, PTO: 7.9%, ZPT: 6.8%). The effect on the mean hair shaft diameter was contrasted between the three groups of volunteers (KTZ: 5.4%, PTO: 7.7%, ZPT: -2.2%). In conclusion, telogen effluvium was controlled by KTZ, PTO and ZPTshampoos at 1% concentration. In addition, KTZ and PTO increased the mean hair shaft thickness while discretely decreasing the sebum output at the skin surface

Summarizing, its my position that shampoos simply clean your scalp, and remove sebum which contains DHT that can be reabsorbed back in the scalp. Shampoo does not cause male baldness, male hormones, as shown by hundreds of experiments, and the belief of the entire scientific research community, causes male baldness. Indications that lessen male hormone's interaction with androgen receptor sites in head hairs or agents that overcome androgens effect and attempt to counteract skin damage caused by the immune system or provide growth factors to the follicle are what have been proven to help men's hair. Sebum secretions are not effective even when washing hair in alchohol as Klingman's research in the seventies show, so washing the hair does NOT MAKE MORE SEBUM.

Loony, kooky alternative baldness theories by neo-luddites is a regular feature of baldness websites. They recur from time to time. Some people have a hard time accepting that their genes are not "perfect" and go off looking for something to blame for their acne, weight gain, baldness, hirsutism, etc. As toothpaste does not cause cavities, as soap does not cause zits, as q-tips dont cause ear wax, as mouthwash does not cause bad breath, as razors dont cause whiskers,........shampoo does not cause baldness

docj077

Reaction score
Both sides of this argument seem to be filled with idiots. Of course shampoo doesn't cause male pattern baldness baldness directly. That requires hormones. Of course a lack of shampoo doesn't cause male pattern baldness directly. Again, that requires hormones.

male pattern baldness is a multifactorial process. There is no one single causative agent besides hormones that can cause the process. Other environmental triggers can accelerate it, but they are never the cause. So, the wrong shampoo can potentially accelerate male pattern baldness, but it will not cause it. Especially, shampoos that cause inflammation or oxidative stress.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
male pattern baldness is a multifactorial process. There is no one single causative agent besides hormones that can cause the process. Other environmental triggers can accelerate it, but they are never the cause. So, the wrong shampoo can potentially accelerate male pattern baldness, but it will not cause it. Especially, shampoos that cause inflammation or oxidative stress.

Thanks for the voice of reason docj077 :D

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

All these recent theorists are using this website as there basis:

http://www.getitback.us/

I could not take the disjointed presentation of the website and could not find any real science.
I still believe there is value in a discussion as to whether there could be value in the overall health of one's hair by using natural shampoos. All this idiotic talk about shampoo actually causing hairloss or destroying our follicle hinders what could be a constructive discussion on the value of natural shampoos. Perhaps there could be some small value in using shampoos without (or perhaps with) SLS, but this issue goes unresolved because people cannot take there focus off of the ridiculous idea that shampoo could be a cause of hairloss.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: re:

Johnny24601 said:
Perhaps there could be some small value in using shampoos without (or perhaps with) SLS, but this issue goes unresolved because people cannot take there focus off of the ridiculous idea that shampoo could be a cause of hairloss.

Of course shampoo is harmless Johnny :roll: but what would you say to this?
http://www.rense.com/general63/nerv.htm

docj077

Reaction score

Diamond Dave said:
Johnny24601 said:
Perhaps there could be some small value in using shampoos without (or perhaps with) SLS, but this issue goes unresolved because people cannot take there focus off of the ridiculous idea that shampoo could be a cause of hairloss.

Of course shampoo is harmless Johnny :roll: but what would you say to this?
http://www.rense.com/general63/nerv.htm

Your arguments are interesting, but you have the problem of time and concentration. There is no proof that shampoo stays on the skin long enough to cause such damage. Also, there is no proof that the concentrations that are absorbed through the skin are high enough to cause damage. One CAN NOT just assume that these products are harmful in such a situation. Maybe, if you drank an entire bottle of shampoo every few days for a year you'd have a problem.

Personally, anything but baby shampoo make my scalp and hair feel like crap. But, I don't blame that on all the other shampoos.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Women use just as much shampoo as men do, if not more. If shampoo causes hairloss, why aren't they suffering male pattern baldness on the same scale that men do?

If shampoo causes hairloss, why does the hairloss only affect the "pattern" area of the scalp that is associated with genetic changes, namely the male pattern baldness area that hormones affect? If its the shampoo, then there would be no male "pattern" baldness, the hairloss would occur all over the scalp wherever the shampoo was used.

If shampoo causes hairloss, why did hairloss and male pattern baldness occur before the use of SLS and chemicals in shampoos? male pattern baldness has been recorded as a male annoyance going back to ancient Greece.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score

docj077 said:
Maybe, if you drank an entire bottle of shampoo every few days for a year you'd have a problem.
Finally a shred of intelligence but it isn't necessary to drink shampoo to cause a problem. We've all been shampooing with it daily since childhood. The damage is already done.

docj077 said:
Personally, anything but baby shampoo make my scalp and hair feel like crap. But, I don't blame that on all the other shampoos.
Baby shampoo (which is SLS free) doesn't bother you BUT you don't blame the other shampoos???
Give me back my "shred of intelligence" remark.

Just kidding Doctor. :D

The Gardener

Reaction score
What about all the people who were bald before shampoos were used?

And what about this fine fellow?:

orangutandy4.jpg

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Diamond,
The idea that shampoo "causes" hairloss has absolutely no scientific basis and that was the initial point of the recent discussions on the subject. Could shampoo have an adverse effect on our hairloss, perhaps, but again where is the evidence. In fact, someone could just as easily theorize that shampooing every day actually helps to clean the scalp and improve the look of your hair as I have not seen anyone present evidence to the contrary.
Again, I am not trying to definitively say that shampoo's that contain chemicals such as SLS are good or bad for men with hairloss because I do not know, I am just asking for evidence either way and not conjecture and quotes from some random website. I shampoo my hair everyday and would be willing to try an all natural shampoo if there was evidence that it was better then my current shampoo. Instead all I read is nonsense and bickering. Doctor as the first person to put together some clarity on this issue, I'll ask you this simple question...."If I use baby shampoo (or any other chemical free shampoo) do you believe there is a chance that the health of my hair will improve? Why or why not? If so, what degree of improvement would you anticipate?"

Pondle

Reaction score
The record for SLS on the National Library of Medicine Hazardous Substances Data Bank states, "SLS has shown only slight, acute, subchronic, and chronic toxicity when administered orally to experimental animals. SLS caused mild eye irritation at concentrations of 1.3 to 15.0%, and moderate to severe eye irritation at 17.5 to 30.0%. SLS at 30 and 60% caused severe skin irritation. In rabbits, SLS caused no skin irritation when tested at concentrations of 5.0 to 5.6%, minimal irritation at 6.0 to 10.0%, and severe irritation when tested at 25.0%. SLS was a sensitizing agent in guinea pigs. SLS did not induce reproductive toxicity or carcinogenicity in experimental animals. The Expert Panel concluded that [SLS] is safe as a cosmetic ingredient as presently used."

Someone else posted a study in another thread that indicated SLS had some negative effects on skin at high concentrations when applied for several hours. However, this is very different to using a rinse off product which contains a low concentration of SLS.

Basically, Diamond Dave/Cutsinger (they are the same guy) won't listen to reason or scientific evidence. He's irrational.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
Basically, Diamond Dave/Cutsinger (they are the same guy) won't listen to reason or scientific evidence. He's irrational.

Nice try Poodle.
I am hardly Cutsinger with an alias. The real Cutsinger has a water-only regimen.
I have a very effective topical as well as internals to correct the shampoo damage.

Pondle

Reaction score
Diamond Dave said:
Nice try Poodle.
I am hardly Cutsinger with an alias. The real Cutsinger has a water-only regimen.
I have a very effective topical as well as internals to correct the shampoo damage.

Gardener says you guys have the same IP address....

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
Diamond Dave said:
Nice try Poodle.

Gardener says you guys have the same IP address....

You are a liar.

If this was true you would have "quoted" it a million times to make us look like frauds.

Nice try Poodle.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Poodle..I am sorry for calling you a liar. You are indeed correct.

Gardner is "claiming" that Cutsinger and I have the same IP.
Gardner is the liar.

My apologies Poodle.

Cutsinger is God

Established Member
Reaction score
Diamond Dave said:
Poodle..I am sorry for calling you a liar. You are indeed correct.

Gardner is "claiming" that Cutsinger and I have the same IP.
Gardner is the liar.

My apologies Poodle.

I kind of agree. At first I thought it was very odd we would have the same IP's but I am guessing he's lying. Why would you suppose he would do that Diamond Dave? Oh, just so you know I said I despised you in another post but actually I don't. I actually enjoyed our little disagreements we had at GIB.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Gardner is trying to discredit us in a very amateurish way.

He's tried to weaken our message with a bunch of nonsense posts that no one reads so now he is trying to discredit us by playing this silly IP game that no one can question him on b/c we don't have access to it.

Nice try Gardner.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Let me get this straight. Diamond says he knows the "truth" yet he provides no evidence, no peer reviewed studies and only promotes some amateur website that has cartoons and is basically one really really long page. I have only been part HairLossTalk.com for a few years, but IMO this sort of junk science cannot be tolerated.
A simple search of this site will reveal many peer reviewed studies on the correlation between androgens and hairloss. Before the name calling begins, I will ask another time, where is the evidence that shampoos are so bad for our hair. No more opinions from some internet jokesters but real studies as to the effect of shampoos on hairloss.
Your presence on this site is starting to really annoy those of us who want to find REAL solution to our hairloss and not to discuss what appears to be old wives tales. I will go so far as to state that part of me is starting to believe you are a salesman and I would like to point out that this site is not intended to be used for sales presentation. I hope this is not the case.

Cutsinger is God

Established Member
Reaction score

Johnny24601 said:
Let me get this straight. Diamond says he knows the "truth" yet he provides no evidence, no peer reviewed studies and only promotes some amateur website that has cartoons and is basically one really really long page. I have only been part HairLossTalk.com for a few years, but IMO this sort of junk science cannot be tolerated.
A simple search of this site will reveal many peer reviewed studies on the correlation between androgens and hairloss. Before the name calling begins, I will ask another time, where is the evidence that shampoos are so bad for our hair. No more opinions from some internet jokesters but real studies as to the effect of shampoos on hairloss.
Your presence on this site is starting to really annoy those of us who want to find REAL solution to our hairloss and not to discuss what appears to be old wives tales. I will go so far as to state that part of me is starting to believe you are a salesman and I would like to point out that this site is not intended to be used for sales presentation. I hope this is not the case.

Johnny, Diamond Dave did not start this topic. A guy named Michael did. Now after he wrote what he did don't you think he wanted Diamond Dave to respond? Of course he did. Now if this subject annoyed you as much as you say it did, why did you respond to it? Why not just forget it about it and post something on the HUNDREDS OF OTHER TOPICS.

The shampoo theory was moved to the Experimental area and I would think the shampoo causes hairloss topic is definately something that needs to be discussed and it certainly is something I would call "experimental" and thus needs to stay here. Now again, if you and anyone else don't like talking about it, DON'T READ IT!! Simple.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score

Johnny24601 said:
I will go so far as to state that part of me is starting to believe you are a salesman and I would like to point out that this site is not intended to be used for sales presentation. I hope this is not the case.

What an impressive stand you're making Johnny.
You're annoyed with me and you're not gonna take it.

I have absolutely nothing to sell and you know that.
The website has nothing to sell and you know that.

How can you sell "don't use shampoo"?
I'm just here to educate.

You'll have to look elsewhere to have your "website hero" moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.