Serious question: Should I just give up the fight?

Chadman

Reaction score
Ok, so I honestly haven't been fighting that long. I ignored the situation for quite a few years, and only in the past few months have I really started doing something about it.

I've been on Propecia for a few months now, and so far no sides or anything; of course, no real results either, but I wasn't expecting any.

I read a lot of threads on here with guys that seem to be horribly depressed, and a lot of it seems to come from the transition period between "balding but no one notices" and "balding and everyone can tell." Once you feel like you're not hiding anything anymore, what's the damn point?

So, I'm 26, and I'm probably at a ridiculous NW3-4. My hairloss is obvious; there's nothing to hide. I don't comb it weird or doing anything that tries to conceal anything. I've only had a few comments from people, and it's never been a "eww, you're balding (or bald)!" Usually it's something along the lines of, "who cares!" and usually only when I ask them the question.

I'm not trying to make myself feel better. Overall I've been successful despite my hairloss. I run a successful small-business, a business that requires I spend a lot of face time with clients, and I've made a lot of great friends over the years. Honestly, I thought about just taking a month off, buzzing my head and then just seeing how it looks.

Sorry, this is getting long. The main point was, once you've transitioned to the point where people would probably start identifying you as bald/balding, wouldn't that help with acceptance?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
never give up - never surrender.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
How much is your hair worth to you? If it is not worth much, great! I wish I could have that kind of attitude and not care. Unfortunately, my hair means more than college to me right now. I would rather fail out and have a full head of hair than get a degree and be bald. I know everyone is going to say I am ridiculous for saying that, but it's true.

Everyone places values on things and I place a high value on my hair. Hell, I'd even eat less if it meant spending it on something that could give me more hair!

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Chadman, you definitely have perspective. Glad to hear it. Like Tainted said, it all depends on what hair is worth to you. If it's no big deal, I don't see any reason to keep up the treatment. Hair doesn't define your success or happiness in life, despite what some guys on this forum think.

Congrats on your continued accomplishments! Keep it up!

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
chadman,

if these pills and potions really work, then why dont the manufacturers offer you a money back guarantee?

something along the lines of, "a full head of hair in 12 months or your money back" would seem to me to be reasonable and might tempt me to put my hand in my pocket.

but no....there is no such guarantee....so what does that tell you?

save your money, chad and join the rest of us buzzed baldies.

you know it makes sense!!

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
"but no....there is no such guarantee....so what does that tell you".

It could tell you it does not work at all or it works for some. For it to work on some various complex processes must be involved. If it works for some they can not give a guarantee it will work for all.

CCS

Reaction score
I think a buzzed head with a thin landing strip looks a lot better than a buzzed head with a parking lot on it.

don't bother with rogaine or spironolactone or anything else greasy and time consuming if you feel this way. But at least take finasteride if you don't get side effects. Why not? it is just a pill a day, and you can miss a day or two in a row now and then and not have problems.

tainted meat,

i do care about my hair a lot. and if i had to choose between being bald and being an engineer, or having a NW0 and doing construction, i'd take the later. But I don't think i have that choice. I think my choice is "focus on school and just take dutasteride and folligen while my hair does what it does, or do a lot of research at the expense of my grades and maybe degree and perhaps regrow twice as much hair but maybe not all of it back." In that situation, the degree seems more important, but i'm trying to do a halfway point, at least for now, until I get ahead in my classes.

people with college degrees earn an average of 1.7 times as much as people without degrees. college grads are paid less today than 5 years ago, after expenses. But chemical engineers are paid much more than they were 5 years ago. And I love the field. And my professor just hired me to do paid work now. This will help my resume, and will mean I don't need loans, which is good because I will run out of loans in another year if i don't work more, and I have 2.5 years left after this one.

and women like guys with a car. sure, i could buy a car if i were not spending the money one hair. But with a college degree, i could take her skiing, ski diving, travelling, and a bunch of other stuff i'd have to save up for a long time to do without a degree. money won't help ugly people get dates, but as long as i look good, but just not as good as the guys she can get, the money can definitely help me compete.

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
i do care about my hair a lot. and if i had to choose between being bald and being an engineer, or having a NW0 and doing construction, i'd take the later.

Me too.

That sounds boarderline insane. It might sound all rosey in your 20s, but once you hit 30, and your body along with everyone else's at that age goes downhill-- hair isnt going to mean as much.

To each is own I suppose, but I would rather be a totally bald doctor with burns all over my head instead of some 35 year old construction worker with long, but aging hair. Hair doesn't last that long in most people unless you are rather lucky. A profession that you love can last a lifetime. I think its more important to wake up in the morning to go do something you love to do, instead of waking up to go do something you hate doing, but knowing you will be a pretty boy doing it.

but thats just me.....

CCS

Reaction score
if your life is missing something, the other stuff will not make you happy. i love chemistry, but I can't focus on it because i can't get a girlfriend. The same would be the case later. And that is BS that your body goes downhill by age 35. It will go downhill if you abuse it for 35 years out in the sun or drinking or not eating right and not exercising or sleeping enough or drinking enough water. I sell junk food and beer and cigarettes all day long to people I know will look like sh*t in 10 years. The older ones already do. I think I will be just as good looking at 35, if not better since i will have more muscle by then.

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
if your life is missing something, the other stuff will not make you happy. i love chemistry, but I can't focus on it because i can't get a girlfriend. The same would be the case later. And that is BS that your body goes downhill by age 35. It will go downhill if you abuse it for 35 years out in the sun or drinking or not eating right and not exercising or sleeping enough or drinking enough water. I sell junk food and beer and cigarettes all day long to people I know will look like $#iT in 10 years. The older ones already do. I think I will be just as good looking at 35, if not better since i will have more muscle by then.

Thats why I think you should make priority #1 doing what you love, priority #2 having fun with friends, and priority #3 hooking up with chicks for a serious relationship.

From my experience-- You do that and #3 sorta just naturally falls right into place. If you actively pursue the whole chick thing: a) it ends up being un-natural and that turns a lot of people off or b) you hook up with someone that ends up being a nightmare.

And once again, thats just me. It could be a lot different for other people. Thing is, most of my friends follow a similar pattern and it tends to work.

I know what its like not being able to find a chick, or just generally being frustrated with women in general. Its not fun, but you have gotta get your mind off of it or else you just end up miserable and spiteful. And not even the most friendly of people will bother speaking to a miserable, angry person. Its a vicious cycle, but you gotta break it.

Ill type this one last time, and you can listen to it or not. I dont think it would cause any problems if you did listen/read/absorb/whatever to it though.

You have got to stop obsessing about chicks. Its one thing to be actively pulled to them, but its another to be in never ending minute by minute misery over whatever problems you may have with relationships.

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
GIRLS OR HAIR?

HAIR OR GIRLS?

GOOD JOB OR HAIR?

HAIR OR GOOD JOB?

seems like you obsess after everything you cant have.

is this a syndrome?

if you had all the above hallowed three you would only find something else to obsess about.

G

ginald, I must say that your most recent posts are making me quite angry. I thought only I had the wisdom to wake these poor young guys up to the reality of permenant baldness and the hopeless futility of illogical snake-oil promises to "grow hair". Grow hair. Excuse me while I laugh. In fact, your blunt, true, honest, and quite accurate observations on the stupidity of believing that weaves, creams, pills, plugs, and drugs, could ever do anything other than make the "wearer" of such degrading and humiliating hairsystems look anything other than a total jackass, are beginning to make me feel like I've come accross as wishy-washy. In fact, if you don't stop making such sense, I might begin to steal your posts, and claim them as my own! Poor Appleunk 1, and all the other bald guys on this board, who insist on thinking they are the first balds to discover that one true cure. Ever seen the rug-wearing dork President of The Hair Club For Men? Wow! That's like Rosanne Barr endorsing Weight-Watchers! These poor balding guys have to learn the hard way.[/b]

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
my dear dukshyboy,

far be it from me to suggest that we form a mutual admiration club, however i do feel that perhaps we could join forces and together with the simple sword of truth fight through the mists and myths of the hair regrowth industry.

we could be bearers of light to these poor misguided souls who pour their hearts out on here each night.

i would say that you are far better than i at playing the hard man so if a double act it is to be, then i'll be good cop and you be bad cop.

you give 'em the bruises and i'll apply the plasters.

whaddaya say pardner?

G

ginald, you're great at trolling this website. this is a hair loss treatment forum. and douchey boy is proving to be a most admirable protege of yours.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ginald said:
i would say that you are far better than i at playing the hard man so if a double act it is to be, then i'll be good cop and you be bad cop.

In my experience the good cop is invariably bald. Hence dukshytwat is laughing at you...

G

IBM said:
I would love to have open book hairstyle (david beckam) at 55 with a perfect thin body if i could trade my career.

you can get beckham's body with hard work. only a very miniscule part of his body is genetics. he works out in the gym a ton with cardio as well as strength training and a good diet. you don't have to wish for it-make it happen. if i misunderstood and you just want beckham's hair and not his body then that's obviously harder since it's not a certainty like the gym body is. but if you just want to be thin then that's much much easier than going to the gym. just stop eating so much food and exercise a little.