Scared As f*** About finasteride's Initial Shed

ElTioLaBota

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been 2.5 months on finasteride, and right now im scared af about the initial shed. So far it's been great, i've experienced ED the first 2 weeks, ball ache the last week but all sides have banished now, however... I was looking at my hair yesterday and omg... My crown is a lot worse...
You can se my crown 2 weeks ago here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...l-cowlick-or-a-bald-spot.110523/#post-1596164
And now some picts i've taken 30 min ago...
IMG_20171231_141241.jpg
IMG_20171231_141259.jpg

Is this due to the initial shed?! I'm scared af, 4 months ago my crown was perfect... Before i started finasteride i had itch on Telogen Effluvium cowlick area, now it has gone for the last 2.5 months...
Any idea?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait what? Your crown looks better now than 2 weeks ago in my opinion.. I cant' even see any thinning dude

ElTioLaBota

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It actually does look worse, but to be honest I can't tell if its your scalp or just highlights in the hair. If you are suffering from Telogen Effluvium, I can tell you from experience it can rapidly thin your hair in a matter of months. I also experienced this form of hair loss the entire two and half years on Finasteride. So my advice to you is if your Telogen Effluvium doesn't stop in the next 3 to 4 months then Finasteride is most likely the cause, especially if there's scalp pain and itching that wasn't present prior to using it. This drug has been known to cause and has with me a chronic form of Telogen Effluvium which does not stop until you discontinue the drug. Telogen Effluvium should only be a temporary reaction due to the hormonal changes the drug causes, anything longer than that and it's safe to say you are a non responder.
Finasteride has completely stopped the itch for me. So i doubt thats the case. What other things might indicate i have telogen effluvium due to finasteride?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
am I the only one that thinks it looks better? i clicked on ur 2 week old pic and i saw almost no difference and maybe even slightly less thinning

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP can you please post a picture with the same lightning as the first one? It might just be the lighting after all ..

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
the only hair thinning is the usual thinning in that spot in the crown, your hair look pretty much the same just with some a bit different hair arrangement that show a little bit more of your scalp. even young girls can reveal some of their scalps in different hair cuts so there is no need to panic. anyway if you want to detect some slight hair thinning you need to stretch your hairs from each other and see how much scalp is revealed and not just compare two different pics with different angle and hair arrangement.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your pictures look just the same. If finasteride fixed your itch then I think it's fair to say it's at least doing something positive. For me personally I got a really bad itch (that I still have) when I started finasteride. Give it a few months and reassess. finasteride works best on the crown anyway so you have a good chance of doing well :) How is your hairline? NW1 I presume?

SimonC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, guys just read about Telogen Effluvium. I'm really interested in it.
I have diffuse thinning (crown and left temple a bit) but overall my hairline looks fine. Have can I know that cause of diffuse thinning is Telogen Effluvium? I was confident that I experience Diffuse Androgenic Alopecia.

Please, help :)