Scalp can't handle Rogaine?!

BugScreen1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I've been losing my hair for about 3 years not (26 now) and I'm probably a Norwood 3. All my hair loss tends to be concentrated on my temples, none in the middle or back of my head (pretty thick). However the temples are pretty pronounced (moved back about 1.5-2 inches, and another 1-2 behind that it has thinned a lot.

Anyways, I started my treatment back in 11/03 using Rogaine 5%, and stayed on that until ~8/04. I didn't really see results, although I guess things didn't get siginificantly worse. Stupidly, I started using it once a day, and then by 11/04 not at all.

Of course, around 12/04 I noticed I was losing hair again, so I tried to start up a regiment again. This time, the rogaine was causing my scalp to itch horrendously. Pretty much in the general areas I was applying it. It honestly felt like a mosquito was biting my head, that type of itch. So I tried using Nizoral, TGel, TSal, etc. Nothing seemed to calm it. Even tried Scalpicin, and Cortisone topicals. Nothing. So I figured, something must have changed in my scalp, because I can't handle Rogaine anymore!

By now its 2/05 and I'm losing hair like crazy (presumably, the hair I had kept on Rogaine, plus some). I went to my derm and got a prescription for Propecia. Started that up and have been on it since. Not sure its done anything, except give me oily skin.

I've tried using rogaine since I've been on Propecia, and I can't tolerate it still. Does anyone have thoughts on what I might be doing wrong, what I can do? Will 2% make a difference? I'm also wondering if the Propecia is ever going to have an effect. Should I have noticed something by now? (2/05-8/05)

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is more than likey that the PPG in your minoxidil is causing your trouble.

Around 1 person in 10 has issues with PPG irritation.

First try Dr Lee's Standard Minoxidil (Product 500) from http://www.xandrox.com, then if you still experience some problems try his 'PPG free' formula.

The reason I say go for Product 500 first is that the reduced PPG content may be enough for you and it makes the minoxidil extremely fast drying as a bonus (it will be dry in around 10 minutes). The 'PPG free' formula replaces the PPG with Glycerin and takes even longer than Rogaine/Kirkland to dry (if such a thing is possible!!!).

BugScreen1

Reaction score
Thanks for the help TynanW. I just don't understand why I could tolerate Rogaine for over a year, and now I can't. It doesn't add up.

I went ahead and put in an order for #500. Hopefully that works.

Anyone else share my experience?

Jon_e

Reaction score
Hey, I went through a similar thing... I used rogaine for almost 1 year with no itching, then I got horrible itching. I stopped using rogaine, and the itch temporarily went away... The itch came back, even though I had stopped using Rogaine.... Therefore, I conculded the itch wasn't being caused by Rogaine.. I ended up starting on Rogaine, using Nizoral shampoo, and something called Fluocinonide, my dermitologist perscribed for itchy scalp... The Nizoral and Fluocinonide have stopped my itch...

I'm not entirely sure why my scalp was itching so severely... I think it was an alergic reaction or something... It's like my body was rejecting the hairs on my head, and treated them like foreign bodies or something... Oh well, I don't know if the hair loss caused the itch, or the itch caused the hair loss, but I'm very thankful the combination of Nizoral, Fluocinonide, Rogaine, and Propecia seem to be working.

Good luck...