saw pametto and propecia

phonebooth

Reaction score
I have been taking propecia 1mg a day for about 8 months and was thinkin of adding saw palmetto to the mix. Does anyone think its a good idea or anyone think that that is just too much stuff?

G

There are no studies that I am aware of that suggest SP will assist in hair loss fight. IT does seems to deal nicely with enlarged prostate though.

Brucelee

rockstar

Reaction score
if it woks on prostate due to lowering of dht levels then at the very least it will lower dht bodie levels further which in turn theory wise should benifit hair.....no studies to confirm this as brucelee said 8)

G

i dont think its worth it as even if it does inhibit DHT its not going to be as good as propecia. you might think it will inhibit more dht, so why not pop two propecia pills a day? because its dangerous and not tested.
it doesnt sound worth it to me.

G

I used SP orally for about 5 yrs with no noticable benefits (it could have lowered hair loss but no regrowth noted).

After 12 months on propecia, lots of regrowth on crown.

In my personal experience, it is no contest BETWEEN these two.

Brucelee

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Bruce, like you, I definately think SP has helped stop hair loss, or at least shedding. In my personal use, I have been on Propecia 0.5mg and Saw Palmetto 320mg every day for about 2 months. I have to say that I haven't had any serious side effects, and my hair couldn't be any better than it is now. I highly recomend at least adding SP to your regimen, even if you have to slightly decrease your finasteride dose in order to avoid side effects, slthough SP alone has never reported any, unless consumed in high quantity dosages...

XL

G

xz
when you say u r on 0.5mg of propecia... is that with your doctors approval? or are you cutting up the tablets yourself? I thought the recomended dose was 1g?
I dont understand why people are messing with their own doeses... the side effects of propecia are transient so after the initial few months you will be back to normal...
i was attracted to SP too, but in my own admission i like the fact that there arent any reported side effects. buts thats only because there hasnt been any trials.
2 months isnt long enough for effects to be seen on the quality of the hair anyway...

in fact when people start on the hairloss remedies they try almost everything at once. isnt it any wonder that you have magnified side effects? why dont people go on propecia for a year then add stuff one by one.
i bet people are taking 3 or 4 products that arent having any additional benefit than propecia alone.

G

The "recommended" dose is 1MG. There are studies that support lower doses (see the one referenced on this web site in the research section).

I for one am not suggesting the tinkering of routines in short time intervals. Personally, I have been on 1MG for about 18 months.

Having said that, I am open to the POSSIBILITY that combining SP with Propecia MIGHT be an interesting way to attack male pattern baldness. That is why I asked for anyone who might have experience with this approach.

Brucelee

Losingit

Reaction score
bruce lee

got a q to ask u....

do u experience any shedding while u were on propecia???

regards

G

I have never had any abnormal shedding while on propeica. Just the usual 10 hairs a day after showering. Almost none on my pillow in the AM>

Lucky I guess or it was the combo approach of nizoral, minoxidil and propecia that helped me avoid the sheds.

Brucelee