saw palmetto

thinstinks

Established Member
Reaction score
i feel that it helps my hair loss

is there any evidence that saw palmetto isnt good in combo with propecia????????????????

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
There isn't any evidence of anything, period, because saw palmetto hasn't ever been shown to do anything for hair loss in any studies...

...so there have not been any follow up studies on the various intricacies of its use for hair loss, like there has been with Propecia. Propecia has the basic study establishing its effectiveness for hair loss, and then several others that help us answer questions like these. varying doses, etc.

If you personally feel that pouring urine on your head will help with your hair loss, you are free to do it, if that gives you peace of mind. :) Just as long as you know SP has never been shown to do anything for hair loss, and scientists have tried.

SP causes several side effects in many people, and using both SP and Propecia together would be a real shot at your endocrine system, so I would drop the SP and use Propecia, not use them in combination... but its your choice.

HairLossTalk.com

Stingray

Reaction score
There's no evidence either way. I personally believe it's working for me though. I think it's more of a reassurance thing... but 8 bucks for 6 months of peace of mind... well worth it.

-Edit-
Always the naysayer HairLossTalk.com :p

bombscience

Reaction score
Saw Palmetto may have helped me. I'm not sure but I am losing more hair now that I dont take it anymore. I am not going to use it for another 6 months until june. Then based on my status I may add it again.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Stingray said:
Always the naysayer HairLossTalk.com :p
No. Always the reminder of the facts. Don't you think I'd love to have another treatment that has been shown to work? Trust me that I would. Saw Palmetto just plain doesn't work for hair loss. That's been established. Give me something new to say and Ill say it! :)

HairLossTalk.com

G

Drop the SP. It doesn't work for hairloss. I used it and I wished I didn't. Dont waste your cash.

KeVlaR

Reaction score
Well to my knowledge, saw palmetto has never been studied for hair loss due to the fact that they can't patent it - they did however test its effect on androgen receptors (see bottom of post for study). It is used in Germany and the EU by many in place of Proscar for prostate enlargement - for which condition it has been shown in studies to work faster and better than Proscar.

Saw Palmetto may not have hair science behind it but I have always taken it myself. Since I take both 1/4 Proscar and Saw Palmetto I have noticed that I can piss with something like fire hose strength. I have never had any side effects from it. The 1/4 Proscar on the other hand does kill the libido a bit - I got really horny after I switched to Avodart for 3 mo.

Just in case you don't know the chemical name for saw palmetto is Serenoa Repens. Permixon is a brand of saw palmetto extract specifically targetted towards the prostate market.

The effect of Permixon on androgen receptors.

el-Sheikh MM, Dakkak MR, Saddique A.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Permixon, the liposterolic extract of the plant Serenoa Repens is a recently introduced drug for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The effect of Permixon on dihydrotestosterone and testosterone binding by eleven different tissue specimens was tested. The drug reduced the mean uptake of both hormones by 40.9% and 41.9% respectively in all tissue specimens. Since hirsutism and virilism are among other gynecological problems caused either by excessive androgen stimulation or excess endorgan response, we suggest that Permixon could be a useful treatment in such conditions and recommend further investigations of the possible therapeutic values of the drug in gynecological practice.

PMID: 3218455 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

G

Unless we are talking about SP used topically, I don't know why we would care. Why take SP internally when you can take finasteride internally.

What is the real difference IF they are both effective against male pattern baldness??????????
Notice I said IF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
don't get it

I don't understand why so many people have a problem with HairLossTalk.com stating the facts and LACK of evidence for many "so-called" treatments. It is not about being a naysayer, it's about talking only about treatments PROVEN to work. It's that simple.

When another drug or topical is in the trial stage, I think it is appropriate to talk about it, that is reasonable, but if there is no scientific data to back up the use of any particular vitamin, topical or drug, there is no reason for US, to ponder it.

Having said that, can someone please tell me what the side-effects of Saw Palmetto are? :)- Loss of libido? increased?

It appears it helps with prostate enlargement, but does it also harm in any way known through studies?

G

Re: don't get it

Celtictigyr said:
I don't understand why so many people have a problem with HairLossTalk.com stating the facts and LACK of evidence for many "so-called" treatments. It is not about being a naysayer, it's about talking only about treatments PROVEN to work. It's that simple.

When another drug or topical is in the trial stage, I think it is appropriate to talk about it, that is reasonable, but if there is no scientific data to back up the use of any particular vitamin, topical or drug, there is no reason for US, to ponder it.

Having said that, can someone please tell me what the side-effects of Saw Palmetto are? :)- Loss of libido? increased?

It appears it helps with prostate enlargement, but does it also harm in any way known through studies?

Back to my point. We know that SP works on the prostate by lowering DHT levels. Taking it should bring on side effects similar to finasteride IF the side effects from finasteride are tied to lowered DHT levels.

In my experience, the side effects are indeed the same BUT the effectiveness in fighting DHT is not. I grew hair on finasteride, not on SP.

Reaction score
Do NOT take saw palmetto. It is not proven to work when taken orally. Although it is good for the prostate and urological disorders. It won't grow you one hair, it might even make you lose hair. Take finasteride, the one 5ar inhibitor proven to work in FDA trials.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
n00p said:
Well to my knowledge, saw palmetto has never been studied for hair loss due to the fact that they can't patent it
This is incorrect. Here's why:

Go to PubMed and type in Serenoa Repins and Prostate.

You will be presented with over 100 detailed clinical studies on Saw Palmetto's effect on the prostate.

The whole "Its herbal and therefore we cant patent it and therefore saw palmetto REALLY DOES work for hair loss and there's an agenda against it" thing is just wrong.

There is no reason why there would be over 100 studies on it, if there was some anti-herbal conspiracy going on.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that there are over 100 studies with SP in the prostate and not a single one for hair loss? Think, think, think...

HairLossTalk.com

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
and...

I have reason to believe many of the HairLossTalk community posters, were recently seen at a conference put on by "psychic" Jonathan Edwards, who made numerous connections with their deceased family members whose "names start with....I'm getting like a "j" or, "James" or 'John' or something....did you have anyone in your family whose passed on whose name started with like...(pause)...like a "J" or "T" or "S" ?"

"Why yes...I had a great-great grandfather named John..."

"He says he's happy that you are using something for your hairloss...and that...ok, he's smiling now...and that it was a family thing...he says you will understand what he means"

Crowd oohs and ahhs...HairLossTalk poster (with an obvious Norwood 5) stands in SHOCK at the frighten specificity of the psychic's claims, and how pointed they are to his situation...

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
LOL!

Bingo. And none of the people you directed that to will get your point. Trust me.

HairLossTalk.com

Stingray

Reaction score
OK! Fine, I admit it, I just like the way it tastes when I burp up the olive oil late at night.. mm mm mmm.

Cassin

Reaction score
Not sure what whips my *** worse

"Is this website legit/where can I buy Finasteride online?"

Or

"saw palmetto "

Posters and viewers, I beg of you. Please just go back one or two pages before posting this topic again and again.

These f*****g topics get beaten to death once every f*****g week here.

Sometimes the vaunted F-BOMB is needed.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
We know that SP works on the prostate by lowering DHT levels. Taking it should bring on side effects similar to finasteride IF the side effects from finasteride are tied to lowered DHT levels.

In my experience, it just doesn't work this way. SP has actually increased my libido a lot. I'm actually going to lower my intake and just take one pill a day of it. I want to have a rest, i've used my sex enough in the past year..

The other reason is i want to give a try to Propecia. And don't want to have a high intake of SP while on it. I used to shy away from Propec because of the potential side effects.

So my regimen will be propecia, minoxidil 5%, a little bit of SP, and the common vitamins and minerals.

jwallen

Reaction score
Thyroid and Sol Palmeto

I have read many studies on SP and have found that almost all of them state that SP can help the prostate, and none state that it will specifically help male pattern baldness. However, one particular study stated that it may also have an effect on the thyroid gland, but that further research needed to be done to prove it.

For those of you who don't know, the thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland located in the neck and has been directly related to hairloss in men and women with a thyroid disorder. SP may have a affect on the thryoid gland in aiding to keep it under control. A suggestion to those of you who are experiencing hairloss and SP seems to slow it down or stop it: Go see a doctor. You may have a thyroid disorder (known as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism) instead of male pattern baldness (which can easily be treated). Thyroid disorder has many symptoms, one of which is a thinning of the hair and slow hairloss over a period of time (some people experience a dry almost straw like feel to their hair usually in the morning when they wake up). It is estimated millions of people in the US alone suffer from thyroid disorder; many cases go undiagnosed.

Don't just assume that your balding is male pattern baldness. You should always see a doctor first and make sure you ask to have yourself tested for a thyroid disorder especially if you experience some of the other common symptoms. Disorders of the thyroid, left untreated, can have long term effects on your overall health. Thyroid disorders are sometimes misdiagnosed, so you should get a second and third opinion about your hairloss.

So perhaps some of those who seem to think SP is working for them MAY be correct afterall, however, they may not have MBP.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
interesting...

jwallen, do you know the other symptoms of thyroid disorder?