Saw Palmetto

G

Hi,

Has anyone seen any positive results in taking this, if so what effect did it have on your hair?

I have read that Saw Palmetto has a similar mode of action to the receptor sites as Spironolactone, I ask as I took oral Spironolactone for around 3-4 months a while back and saw positive results, a definite thickening towards the root of the hair but decided to stop as it is a health risk.

Distressed…

G

Gynaecomastia, gastrointestinal symptoms including cramping, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, gastric bleeding, ulceration and gastritis; drowsiness, malaise, dizziness, lethargy, headache, maculopapular or erythematous cutaneous eruptions, leucopenia (including agranulocytosis), thrombocytopenia, abnormal hepatic function, electrolyte disturbances, hyperkalemia, leg cramps, alopecia, hypertrichosis, pruritus, rash, urticaria, mental confusion, drug fever, ataxia, inability to achieve or maintain erection, changes in libido, benign breast neoplasm, breast pain, menstrual disorders, including irregular menses or amenorrhoea, and post-menopausal bleeding, and acute renal failure.

hopewas

Reaction score
for those of you who don't get it, grant was joking on oral spironolactone. he's kind of like frasier...sometimes he has to laugh after he posts something to know he was joking.. :moon:

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Distressed said:
...I ask as I took oral Spironolactone for around 3-4 months a while back and saw positive results, a definite thickening towards the root of the hair but decided to stop as it is a health risk.
hopewas said:
what's the health risk?
Distressed said:
Gynaecomastia, gastrointestinal symptoms including cramping, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, gastric bleeding, ulceration and gastritis; drowsiness, malaise, dizziness, lethargy, headache, maculopapular or erythematous cutaneous eruptions, leucopenia (including agranulocytosis), thrombocytopenia, abnormal hepatic function, electrolyte disturbances, hyperkalemia, leg cramps, alopecia, hypertrichosis, pruritus, rash, urticaria, mental confusion, drug fever, ataxia, inability to achieve or maintain erection, changes in libido, benign breast neoplasm, breast pain, menstrual disorders, including irregular menses or amenorrhoea, and post-menopausal bleeding, and acute renal failure.
hopewas said:
i've had none of those symptons
Hopewas - I wasn't trying to be funny but thanks anyways. Maybe you can explain it to some of the people I work with?

Distressed is clearly referring to oral spironolactone and you've indicated that you've had none of the symptoms. Yet your posted regimen doesn't include oral spironolactone. (I didn't know there was such a thing) Therefore, it's safe to conclude you wouldn't have symptoms.

Apparently I missed something here but I still can't see it. Please explain.

jerry grant

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think most of us know who missed what. :roll:

Distressed, SP doesn't work like spironolactone. You wont get those side effects, but I don't care for SP at all due to psychological and libido reducing side effects.

drinkrum

Reaction score
fluxster,

You don't care for SP at all because of its libido reducing side effects? You mistaking it for spironolactone.? To my knowledge, Saw Palmetto has no noteworthy side effects ...

D.

cinter99

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Saw Palmetto has no noteworthy side effects ...

Oops, you might have gotten that switched around. Saw Palmetto has several noteworthy side effects. What it doesn't have is any noteworthy EFFECTS for treating hair loss.

If you're going to use an oral DHT inhibitor, use the one with data supporting it. Propecia. Completely illogical to use SP instead of Propecia, considering both have potential for side effects.

chris31

Reaction score
Cinter99 you are wrong....

There are clinical data supporting the efficacy of Saw Palmetto in male pattern baldness and Saw Palmetto shows no serious side effects unlike Finasteride.

The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medecine, Volume 8 Number 2, April 2002