Saw Palmetto Question

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read people saying that Saw Palmetto does not reduce DHT in serum levels(does that mean blood levels), but it seems to block it locally at the Prostate. This is very interesting, because this could mean that there is still just as much going to the scalp, rendering it useless. Anyone have any theories regarding this?

People sware buy it, but there are no scientific studies on it for hair loss.

bombscience

Reaction score
I think you've answered your own question. Saw P is shown to reduce DHT and be helpful in prostate health. However there are no studies indicated it helps with hairloss. So, if you take it it's your own decision. Some people say it helps, some say it doesnt. I've been on it for 6 months, with no reduced shedding. I'm going to take it for another 4 weeks, and if nothing happens.. i'm done.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Garth, there are two types of 5-alpha reductase that form into DHT.

Propecia inhibits one type predominantly.

Saw Palmetto inhibits the OTHER type predominantly.

The type Propecia inhibits is found most predominantly in the scalp.

The type Saw Palmetto inhibits isn't.

The end.

HairLossTalk.com

Redbone

Reaction score
Who swears by it? I know people us it but I never heard anyone say "Wow it really made my hair come back thicker and fuller."

In the health food stores Saw Palmetto is marketed for Prostate health.

Let me ask you, Would you rather take Saw Palmetto or Propecia?

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Garth, there are two types of 5-alpha reductase that form into DHT.

Propecia inhibits one type predominantly.

Saw Palmetto inhibits the OTHER type predominantly.

The type Propecia inhibits is found most predominantly in the scalp.

The type Saw Palmetto inhibits isn't.

The end.

HairLossTalk.com

So wouldn't this somewhat imply that dutasteride is not much better than Propecia and SP combined, but if i remember correctly dutasteride (which blocks both enzymes) reduces DHT by 90% or something.

Stingray

Reaction score
I thought Saw Palmetto actively competes with DHT for receptors. Is it a 5AR inhibitor?

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
redbone said:
Who swears by it? I know people us it but I never heard anyone say "Wow it really made my hair come back thicker and fuller."

True i guess alot of people don't swear buy it, but alot of people do use it
"just in case". I plan on dropping it, cause it just seems like a waste. I bought one thing of it though, and it had 120 pills. I don't like to waste, but I'm trying to figure out if logically it could be detrimental as many people have also stated that it made them shed.

G

garthbrooks said:
redbone said:

True i guess alot of people don't swear buy it, but alot of people do use it
"just in case". I plan on dropping it, cause it just seems like a waste. I bought one thing of it though, and it had 120 pills. I don't like to waste, but I'm trying to figure out if logically it could be detrimental as many people have also stated that it made them shed.

I used SP for 3 yrs. Did nothing for me, except make me depressed as hell. Propecia DID regrow my crown.

No contest as far as I can see.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Garth, unfortunately no, you can't arbitrarily just compare drugs like dutasteride and SP and say they're exactly the same. There are so many intricacies in what these things do, and the complicated nature of the endocrine system. Can't just say one is better, or the same or etc.

You can only establish that if one performs better than another in trials for the goal you are seeking, in this case, treating hair loss and monitoring resulting hair counts. Assuming both are tested and compared. Thus far that hasn't happened.

Its interesting to note though, people seem to be reporting nothing but excessive shedding for up to 6+ months on dutasteride. Its also interesting to note, there are similarities between a Propecia/Saw Palmetto regimen and a Dutasteride regimen. Its further interesting to note, people report nothing but shedding when they use Saw Palmetto.

Peculiar similarities.

Its even more interesting to note that Glaxo for some reason opted not to continue the final phase trials for dutasteride after watching its performance in the first phases.

Stingray - yes SP is also a 5ar inhibitor. This is why the less educated just arbitrarily assume its "JUST LIKE PROPECIA!" Problem is, the more educated know that there are two types of 5ar, and it doesn't inhibit the type predominantly found in the scalp very well.

HairLossTalk.com