sama's story...weird case

sama

Reaction score
I am female, mid 50s. I have/had thick good hair but about 8 yrs ago was undergoing some stress and my hair looked awful, brittle and dry, and then what seemed from 1 day to the next, I just noticed a bald spot in the front center hairline. I was entering menopause and thought it could be that and started estrogen then and the hair texture returned but the bald spot never grew back. About 2 yrs ago it started falling out a lot and I was diagnosed hashimotos thyroiditis with very high antibodies. I started taking low dose of thyroid meds which stopped hairloss but the bald spot never came back. My antibodies are 3000 so I just started taking 200mcg of selenium each day, not b/c any dr was kind enough to enlighten me, but b/c I read in London Journal of Medicine that it could reduce antibodies within about 3 month period. My hair is still fairly thick with good volume except for the top which is definitely thin and volume-less now. I cannot understand this, there is no family history, I have no bumps or itching or anything like that. I tend to think it could be the antibodies but can't get any diagnosis. I saw a derm a couple yrs ago who just handed me a bottle of rogaine, never asked for any blood tests. I dont like taking that due to putting chemicals in my head and it also causes my color to fade and it is not a permanent solution unless i take it the rest of my life. But I was desperate lately and started it again and it looks now worse, the hairline actually looks thinner so I don't know if the rogaine is killing my good hairs, or if this is a temporary thing. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me information, has anyone had a similiar experience...I am very self conscious about it, but I would like to know what it is at least to try to cure. I am going to take the blood tests recommended on this site for AA on my own and take them to a derm myself but in interim would appreciate any input. Would appreciate any input, thanks very much.