Rozzy252's Story

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I first noticed my hair was coming out a little over 2 years ago. I was getting ready for a friends wedding and a girlfriend of mine was doing my hair. She pulled out my roll brush and commented on how full of hair it was... and asked me if I cleaned it out withing the last 6 months. I was oblivous at that point until I looked at the brush and realized that I cleaned it out about 4 weeks before and it was already full.
I tinkered at the idea over the next few days....could I really be losing a lot of hair??? The day it hit me...I was sitting in my chair at home, I had just started dating Richard (my future husband) and I was loosely running my hands through my hair. 1 hair here, 2 hairs there, Oh my god...my hair is coming out!!!!! I went to my family doctor in tears and demanded that I switch to a stronger birth control. I knew I had PCOS at that point and now the side effect was my hair coming out. So throughout 2002 I was on Cyclen and my hair shed slowed down dramatically.
In February of this year, I quit the pill for a month and my hair shed dramatically again. I panicked and started up on the pill again until May. At this point I had a dermatologist consult and saw him in April. I was in the middle of a shed... he grabbed my hair (gently) and pulled out 5 hairs. He said that I had T.E. and checked my ferritin level.... it was low. My regimen was to take iron pills and start Rogaine 2% (5% is not available here in Canada). So I did what I was told...although the Rogaine made me shed quite a lot....nothing seem to improve. I saw the Dr. again in July. My ferritin level was normal and I was still shedding. He was questioning whether I had a chronic T.E. I asked him if it was possibly Androgenetic Alopecia and he said he couldn't rule it out but my shedding is quite rapid so he leaned towards the scalp biopsy for a direct answer. In August, I quit the Rogaine... my wedding was coming up in October and I was soooo scared that I wouldn't be able to have enough hair by then.... I also postponed my scalp bx. until 3 days after the wedding.
In the mean time , the past 6 months we've been trying to get pregnant without any luck.... :(
I had my scalp bx done on October 28th. I went in to see him last week for the results.....this is what the report said.... non scarring, non inflammatory miniturization of hair follicles...with preservation of the # of follicles. There is NO... T.E. process... more likely to be Androgenic related....ahhh...Androgenetic Alopecia.
I looked at my derm as he told me about the anti-androgenic medications I can go on...but not until I have a baby. I sat there and looked at him... (I have to wait). Then he said if I don't do anything about this then it will be noticable in a few years. IF I do go on the medication then it will help save my hair but the side effect is weight gain. So I have to make an appt to see him the minute I have a baby and quit breast feeding....which could be years... I told him I felt like I was getting chemo with all my shedding...and he looked at me with a sad look on his face and said I know.
Okay. On my way home, my mind was racing, my gut was sick. I HAVE TO GET PREGNANT!!! NOW!!!! Oh my god, I'm either going to be fat or bald or both. I walked in the door with tears streaming down my face and told my husband that he was going to be a widower in 10-15years because I refuse to live with this. I had it all planned for myself where I would lock myself in the garage and run the car... and fall asleep...sometime in my 40's. I sat in the bathroom all day...shaking and crying....I can't believe this. What a kick in the gut.
That night, I talked to my mother. I always knew my biological father was apparently bald....and since menopause, my mother has been thinning too. I asked her if anyone else in her family we're bald...and she was like yes... her grandmother, all her aunts....although her mother was spared(yes my Grandma has a full head of hair). I was sooo upset.I told her that I was going to die sometime in my 40's from low self esteem... she was trying to make me feel better by playing the game... "well if you had the choice between losing your hair or your left arm...which would you choose??? " I was shaking my head on the phone at this stupid game and answered my arm. Of course if the game of life told me I had a choice between cancer or losing my hair...I'd lose my hair. So my mom didn't make me feel better. My husband said I could go for transplantation.... Ahhhh what a week.... so this is my story in a nutshell....I'm trying to get pregnant right now....so I can go on medications when I'm done.....
talk to you soon,
Rozzy :x

G

Hi Rozzy,

Thanks for posting your story. Isn't it absolutely crazy what hair loss can do for a person's self esteem? Sometimes I try and rationalize it by repeating in my noggin "Its ONLY hair, its only hair!" Unfortnately that mantra doesn't work too well when I look in the mirror or see old pictures of me. :)

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you have Androgenetic Alopecia. Although it is written that Androgenetic Alopecia is a slow diffuse thinning, I think many, or at least some women have very rapid hair loss with Androgenetic Alopecia. Also, Telogen Effluvium can trigger Androgenetic Alopecia.

I believe I read somewhere (maybe it was in this forum, or another) that women tend to have good luck with treatments right after childbirth. And while you are pregnant, your body is flooded with estrogens which help will help with your hair loss. But postpartum, many many women shed or have a Telogen Effluvium because of the dramatic drop or fluctuation in hormone levels. Mayalopecia, can you confirm/reject this?

I wish you the best of luck in trying to conceive and with your hair! Please keep us posted,

Laura

mayalopecia

Reaction score
pregnancy and Androgenetic Alopecia

Hi Rozzy,

I am sorry you're dealing with this. I can imagine the frustration you must be experiencing at wanting both to conceive and to keep your hair. It is a decision that most young women using anti-androgens to treat Androgenetic Alopecia have faced or will face in the future. Laura is correct in that your hair should improve with pregnancy. The estrogens in the body do increase, as does progesterone. Progestrone keeps the hair in the follicle, which is why most pregnant women have such thick hair. Unfortunately, almost immediately after childbirth, both estrogen and progesterone levels fall. For you to begin taking anti-androgens immediately following pregnancy, you would have to forgo breast-feeding your child. However, it is possible that you could breast feed for a few months then jump on the meds to retain some of the gains you may have made hair-wise during pregnancy. Unfortunately, this is mostly art and timing, not a science.

If you're not too averse to the idea, you may want to try going on minoxidil while you are trying to conceive. There have been women who are able to reap the benefits of the minoxidil treatment, gradually stop using the drug during pregnancy (allowing nature to help out in the interim), then jump back on the minoxidil post-pregnancy and keep some extra hair. Adding anti-androgens at that point could only help, I would think.

Please let us know what you decide, and let me know if I've explained myself poorly--I'll try again!

-maya

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Laura and Maya,
thank you for your words of wisdom. I actually am trying out the Rogaine 5% for now... I'm putting it on at night because I find it too greasy to go to work with it on my head. My derm said that I've lost at least 30% of my hair this year alone...and he's only been seeing me since April and this started again in February. I'm going to continue with the Rogaine 5% at night...even if it just keeps my follicles a little active until I get prego then that's fine with me. I just started it last week and I'm not looking forward to the shedding its going to cause. :shock: . But oh well...there is no turning back now. I hope all is well with you both...and I'll yack with you soon.... take care!!

Anita

Reaction score
Hi Rozzy-

I haven't started Rogaine yet, but I just ordered Folligen which has gotten excellent reviews on the male and female boards. I think it would be safe enough to use while trying to conceive and while preganant, although as you already read, your hairloss will probably improve while pregnant.

Anita

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Anita, I actually haven't looked up on Folligen yet but I will do so now. You'll have to keep me posted on how its working for you. I started using the Rogaine 5% last week. I can't believe how greasy it is. I was reading the directions on it and it says to use 1 ml. I doesn't seem like 1cc will cover my whole head.....hmmm.... there is no way I can put this stuff on before I go to work. I'd have to wake up at 4 and then wait until it dries.....so.... I'll put it on at night and hope for the best. I gathered my hair yesterday and it all fits now into a small elastic. Back in the old days...the small elastic would only hold up the front part of my bangs.....this has not been a good day. I hope to god there are dermatologists seriously looking for a cure for this. (and find a cure within my lifetime!!!!) :x . Anita, what other tx's have you been using????

G

Hey Rozzy-
I don't know why I only saw your post today! I actually am starting Folligen spray tomorrow. I also want to use 5% minoxidil, but I'm trying to introduce one product at a time because I've read so many people had irritation with the minoxidil. So I want to go slow. I'll let you know how the folligen goes! I actually have already begun using the Folligen conditioner and it makes my hair feel very soft. My husband has male pattern baldness and he started using Folligen about a week ago. It's a green liquid but his head doesn't look green when he uses it :)

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Anita, ohhh I'm so excited that you will be using the folligen and trying it out. Did you order it from the website?? Or did you get it somewhere else?? I was also wondering...how big is the bottle??? I was going to order it from the website but I'm thinking that I may wait until after Christmas :) ... I still have a lot of gifts to buy....and the budget is tight. I'm finding the 5% not very irritating right now although yesterday I noticed that I had instant dandruff :!: I think it must have dried out my scalp but I'm not too worried....I'll keep you posted on the minoxidil progress.....

G

well its been about 4 weeks since I've started using the Rogaine 5%. I was cleaning my main bathroom today and cleaning out my hairbrush. The hairloss is massive...and the Rogaine continues to cause dread shed. Today after my shower I was blowdrying my hair and because of the increase in Rogaine shed... my hairline is growing wider. I looked in the mirror and choked up and then went to the garage and smoked a cigarette. (Bad habit but boy oh boy did it help me to relax). I'm trying to stay positive.... I don't know if starting the Rogaine was a good thing or not... I really think the anti-androgenic medication combined with the Rogaine would be more of a benefit....but I'm throwing the dice on the table with just the Rogaine until I get pregnant. The Rogaine has thinned me out bigtime....but I'm hoping to God its working and this dread shed will stop soon. My husband and I went to see the last Lord of the Rings on Sunday night (fabulous movie!!!!) and there was a part near the end (I won't blow it so I'll be vague) where there was a family with two little kids. My husband looked at me and said..."see?? there's us in the future". I looked at the screen and looked at the woman who had thick curly hair and bawled my eyes out....I don't think 2 kids are in the picture now. Maybe one and then I'll commit to the medication for the rest of my life. :x ...if I can't get pregnant and continue to shed the way that I am...then maybe children will not be in the picture all together.... What a load to carry over Christmas...I can't believe I'm gambling on Rogaine which right now feels like its ruining my life....ah what to do..what to do

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry that was me that just wrote that... for some reason I wasn't entered automatically like usual...... :oops:

thinning gal

Reaction score
Hi Rozzy, I just read your story and my story (which is posted) is sooo similar. I am almost 30 and was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia :(. I was told the same thing about pregnancy and the anti-androgen meds (I was told spironolactone and yasmin - what were you told?) I am going to start trying to conceive in January and also heard the being pg is great for hair. For no reason related to hair, I have chosen that I will not breastfeed. So, right after baby I will go on the meds. I am hoping just to go on yasmin - I hate medications and don't really want to do the spironolactone, I will if I have to though. I have been thin since I was in my early teens (on the top). It seems like it got worse this year. I'm afraid it's going to start being noticeable. I had to go on paxil a few months ago to deal (now I'm off since I'm trying to conceive). I tried Rogaine once and like you thought it was to greasy and made my head wet looking and my problem more noticeable. I didn't continue using it and really do not think I would go that route personally. Anyway, I just had to chime in when I readyour post - I too worry that I'll only be able to have 1 kid due to the meds. I'm also scared that I'll be a bald freak and all the kids will make fun of my kid. So scared of passing on this crappy gene to a child. My husband too consoled me with the thought of transplants, I must admit it does make me feel better tot hink about that for the future. Anyway, if you need to talk or vent, feel free - I totally understand what you are going through!! Please let some scientist be working on a fix for this, ASAP!

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Thinning Gal,
thank you very much for sharing your story with me. I apologize for the late response.... this holiday season has been a busy one. oh my, it seems as though we are in the exact same predicament. I'm starting on my new cycle (menstrual that is) and I'm hoping I conceive in January as well. I am still using the Rogaine for now... all that seems to be happening is my dread shed is decreasing now and my eyebrows are thickening... the hair above my lip now needs bleaching....ahhh I'm hoping with pregnancy hormones I'll feel a little more feminine. Its so sad the # of kids we may have in the future is heavily weighed upon our hair. Don't worry about kids making fun of your child because of your hair. I know kids are shallow but I think it would be a long shot to think that this would happen. And no you won't be a "bald freak". Your child will love you unconditionally no matter what you look like. Its so much easier telling you this than telling myself the same thing. There are wonderful hair extensions and well I can't fully say the "w" word yet... but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an effective tx for this nasty gene we carry. Just whatever you do... don't get stressed about the baby making. Have fun with it and relax and this should help you conceive sooner. My gyne has been telling me that putting huge emphasis on my hair and conception is not a good thing. well I guess easy for him to say... .. but I'm going to try the advice myself. Well if we conceive in January....that would give us October babies.... and hopefully in a few months time we'll be writing eachother talking about how the pregnancy hormones have magically made out hair look like chia pets.... :hairy: take care , I'll keep my fingers crossed for you this month and happy baby making :lol:

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've taken a little break from the hairloss thing for a while.... I was getting soooo consumed by it , I had to take a break. Update. I quit the 5% Rogaine in January, the facial hair was getting to be too much.... I couldn't stick it out and it was sooo overwhelming. I went for laser treatment and had my stash removed as well as the hair sprouting on my neck. I still have the peach fuzz on my cheeks around my ears but its managable right now. I chopped my long hair into a bob and it looks a lot fuller at this point. So my game plan is to get pregnant (still trying) then go on the meds afterwards to save my hair. It still is sad. On the days I don't wash, my part has little horizontal slits of scalp I can see. My bangs are slowly disappearing. But I do notice less shedding now that my hair is shorter. I don't pull on it as much looking for loose hairs. I've been trying to research wigs but to be honest... I don't know how to get one that actually looks real. So this is the update... I'm going to read what's new around here since I've last showed up..... :wink:

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for your story Rozzy. While I think hairloss is really depressing for men (and more common), I can only imagine for women. I saw a beautiful woman the other day with a little baby and it was clear she was losing a lot of hair, and already had lost, having diffuse thinning around the top. It could have been because of pregnancy, or genetic, maybe temporary (although it wasn't your usual post-pregnancy thinning).

She was really good-looking (Russian or Slavic it appeared from her accent) and I was thinking, she would look good with a shaved head. If more women did it, it would become more accepted. She wouldn't have looked bad at all.

bluebird

Reaction score
Hi Rozzy,

I hear you on the self-esteem issue. I'm "hung over" from crying hysterics last night, during which I told my beloved he had to think about whether to stay with me or not. Even while thinking and speaking the words, I knew it was ridiculous -- I have so much more to offer him than my hair! But all I could focus on was that he deserves to be with someone who is not going to be the object of stares or whispers in 5-10 (can't bear to think it might be less time than that) years.

Sigh.... I'm new and hoping to get strength from other people. Interested as much in your psychological battle as the follicle one, if you care to share.