Rogaine Waxy Build-up

Aplunk1

Reaction score
(Forgive if repost.)

HI all,

So, I've been using Foam for maybe 2/3 years, and prior to that, I was using liquid.

However, the waxy build-up on my scalp has gotten really bad, to the point where I find myself scratching off small bulbs of it. And while Rogaine is working well on me, I'm losing hair in these little waxy balls.

What is it? Sebum? I'm inclined to believe it's something in the Rogaine.

How do I get rid of it? Perhaps tea tree shampoo? Wash hair with fingernails?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you have this problem with the liquid?

Try using a salicylic acid shampoo. Like Neutragena T-Sal or something with that ingredient in it.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Good call, I like Neutrogena. I'll give it a shot.

I was debating about purchasing a new shampoo like Nioxin, but Neutrogena's a good brand that I totally overlooked.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having this same problem with kirkland's liquid. Huge waxy flakes, almost like a layer of skin pealing off. Nizoral doesn't do anything. Do you guys have any tips? Apple cider vinegar? T-Sal?

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score
The rogaine is causing irritation, which is causing sebhorreic dermatitis. The "waxy build up" are scales.

Don't scratch at them. Use a shampoo like Nizoral. It worked wonders for me. H&S was a total dud for me on this. I think it made it worse, or at the very least, did less than a standard shampoo.

Also, the scales might have hardened, which means a shampoo won't be enough to remove them. You need to use an oil on your scalp, wait 15 minutes and then comb your scalp to loosen/remove them. You then use the Nizoral to get it all off and use the Nizoral to keep it at bay.

SD from Rogaine can continue or it can calm down as your skin gets used to it.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the salicylic acid helps loosen the scales and prevent new ones from forming. Once under control probably best to use a rotation of a Salicylic acid based shampoo(like T-Sal) and something else like Nizoral 1% or a Piroctone Olamine based shampoo.

Emoney1

My Regimen
Reaction score
The rogaine is causing irritation, which is causing sebhorreic dermatitis. The "waxy build up" are scales.

Don't scratch at them. Use a shampoo like Nizoral. It worked wonders for me. H&S was a total dud for me on this. I think it made it worse, or at the very least, did less than a standard shampoo.

Also, the scales might have hardened, which means a shampoo won't be enough to remove them. You need to use an oil on your scalp, wait 15 minutes and then comb your scalp to loosen/remove them. You then use the Nizoral to get it all off and use the Nizoral to keep it at bay.

SD from Rogaine can continue or it can calm down as your skin gets used to it.
I’m all late but I’ve came across this I’m having that same problem i put oil in my hair the build up loosen it up but I’m scared to comb it because i was lose some hair is there any way around it instead of combing it off?