Rogaine Foam vs Kirkland minoxidil

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
I get that the two products have the same active ingredient that promotes hair growth. Rogaine foam has retin a which from what i understand helps it absorb better. But the price difference between the products is huge.

Does anyone who has used both products have suggestions?

Currently i am using the foam, but obviously would rather opt for the cheaper product if it will yield the same results.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Kirkland's at night and Foam in the morning. As the person above me said, liquid minoxidil leaves a really greasy residue on your hair and it also takes a lot longer to dry. It's obvious that there is something applied to your hair. It irritates my scalp a little as well. Using it at night and maybe weekends or something is a good way to cut costs without giving up the benefits of the foam.

I'm not sure you heard about the Retin-A in it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Some say the liquid is more effective, but I'd imagine they're about the same.

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
generic foam was approved last year.. Idk how long until we will see it, but I have strong hopea

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
kc444 said:
I'm not sure you heard about the Retin-A in it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

If it did, it would be prescription only.

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
looking into buying kirklands as i will be down to one bottle of foam shortly.. how bad does it dry the scalp out? will nizoral help the dry scalp problem?

also how greasy is it? i would not want to go to bed with super greasy hair and get the stuff all over my pillow/bed as it would lead to my face getting greasy as well.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it getting all over your pillow/face. It's just greasier than other minoxidils and is more noticeable in your hair.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I find it to be really greasy personally, but I haven't really noticed any problems with the pillow at night. It's only $15 shipped at Amazon so it's probably worth a try.

carrotbumzz

Reaction score
I used both Rogaine foam and liquid (twice a day) and they gave me the same effective results after potentially 2 months. Then, I stopped minoxidil for 3 months.

I started to use Kirkland since Jan (2012) because of its nice deal, comparing to Rogaine. I only apply minoxidil once a day at night like an hour before bed time. My first experience with Kirkland is all my hair regrown by Rogaine fell out. Stressful. Frustrated. However, I'm still keeping faith in it and only 2 months later, hair was growing back.

So, the sequence that I came up with is Rogaine and Kirkland give me the same effective result. AND, apply minoxidil once a day does not affect the time the result coming to me.

ademas

Reaction score
I just stopped at Costco to pick up some of the 5% minoxidil drops that I've been using for years with great success.

I was surprised to see that it wasn't in stock, and that it appears to have been replaced by Kirkland brand minoxidil foam, which is about 3x more expensive.

Has anyone else experienced this, or heard if the liquid drops have been discontinued?

Just curious. Thank you.

Student

Reaction score
ademas said:
I was surprised to see that it wasn't in stock, and that it appears to have been replaced by Kirkland brand minoxidil foam, which is about 3x more expensive.

Has anyone else experienced this, or heard if the liquid drops have been discontinued?
Ya, I had the same issue and they were clueless as to whether it was discontinued or what. I put in a complaint.

Know of another place to get 5% liquid? Foam is too hard to use (have to waste too much of it to get it on my scalp)

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bob Chylan said:
why would switching from rogain foam to kirkland cause your hair to fall out? its the same ingredient

He took a 3 month break, that's why.

Shobi

Reaction score
i m 17.5 male ...plz someone answer my ques in detail?..i m suffering from male pattern baldness ( male pattern baldness)?I hv consulted a dr. He recommended me 2 tables that is adgain and another one is pheloxy-hc he also suggested me to apply minoxidil daily 2 times nd he gave me ketoconazole shampoo too to apply on scalp 2 times a week ...i just wanna ask is ketaconazole nd nizoral same ???? As i hv seen one site that says big 3 includes minoxidil propecia and nizoral...i wanna take nizoral but dr. Has recommended me ketoconazole...is nizoral and ketoconazole same??? Nd plz also tell me is s5 cream good as i dont wanna take propecia coz of sides .......i can see my scalp from sides nd middle of my hair

scort

Reaction score
ketoconazole Nizoral

i m 17.5 male ...plz someone answer my ques in detail?..i m suffering from male pattern baldness ( male pattern baldness)?I hv consulted a dr. He recommended me 2 tables that is adgain and another one is pheloxy-hc he also suggested me to apply minoxidil daily 2 times nd he gave me ketoconazole shampoo too to apply on scalp 2 times a week ...i just wanna ask is ketaconazole nd nizoral same ???? As i hv seen one site that says big 3 includes minoxidil propecia and nizoral...i wanna take nizoral but dr. Has recommended me ketoconazole...is nizoral and ketoconazole same??? Nd plz also tell me is s5 cream good as i dont wanna take propecia coz of sides .......i can see my scalp from sides nd middle of my hair

Yes ketoconazole shampoo and Nizoral are the same thing. Over the counter Nizoral is 1% ketoconazole while prescription is 2%.

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess foam for really short hair, Liquid for longer (if you can afford it). I have 10cm hair and use kirkland on crown 15 minutes before i go to bed. Can"t say its noticable or greassy. Could even use it in the morning.