Rogaine foam excessive hairloss almost 3 month into use?????

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their help in this stressful ordeal.

I am 25 yrs old and I noticed my hair slowly thinning about 5 months ago. I would lose about 5-10 hairs a day. About 1 month ago, I started using rogaine foam. I have red that new users expirence a shedding for the first 2 weeks. I did not really notice any shedding the first week, but the last 3 weeks have been horible. I have probably lost close to 50 hairs a day the past 3 weeks, and there is no signs of it stopping. My hair loss is now starting to be noticable.

*****UPDATE***** Please Help
Heres the update. I am 11 weeks in and I do not notice any hair regrowth. The last 9 weeks I have shedded and continue to shed atleast 100 hairs a day. Its been so long since I went a day without losing that many hairs, I forget what is normal to lose.

The hairs I lose look thick and usually have a large white ball at the end. Does this mean anything?

Also, recently, I've noticed for the first time I have lost double hairs(two hairs in 1 white ball)?

Can I expect my shedded hairs to regrow?

I plan on buzzing my hair for the summer the end of next week unless something changes. I am scared that this will be the last week of my life with hair.

Thanks

JWM

Reaction score
Re: Rogaine foam excessive hairloss almost 1 month into use?????

First off, the average person can shed up to 100 hairs a day so don't sweat the numbers.

Second , Rogaine WILL cause you to shed. It doesn't have to be at exactly 2 weeks. It could be one week or one month. BUT shedding is a good sign and means you are likely responding. Ride it out and stay strong.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

agree - shedding means you're responding to the foam. keep using it everyday and don't stop for at least 6-12 months, at the very least you should maintain the hair. i've seen some nightmarish sheds posted on this board, and everytime the hair has recovered.

Reaction score

Thanks for the advise. I really hope your right. You dont realize how bad hairloss is until it happens to you.

Thanks

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score

The shedding took me 5-6 weeks to stop, but to my surprise it actually did stop. It was very excessive at times. It's been 4.5 months and I have regained some of what I've lost but not all. Stick it out for 3 months to see what your hair cycles do. It should get better. But I wouldn't wait 6 to 12 months to assess like some say. I think the 6-12 mark is for seeing real progress above baseline. If it's approaching 6 months and you haven't seen at least a stop in shedding with some return towards your baseline, it's not working. Oh, and at about the 3 month mark I had another semi shed, right when a new cycle should have started. So don't freak if you get another shed, though it won't be as rough.

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score

i' was at a Norwood 2.5 when i started foam, and now i'm seriously a solid 2.0.

no sheds at all ~

was on propecia for 1.5 years before switching.

what i did notice was that when the minoxidil hairs first grew, they were TINY. and instead of falling out, i noticed the portions near the roots were coming out thicker n thicker.

JWM

Reaction score

ps1freak

Were you a liquid minoxidil user before using the foam?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score

when i first started foam after 15 months of liquid i saw a massive shed,i hadnt seen my mum for a while and when she saw me she asked how come my hair got so thin again (she had seen my previous success with liquid/finasteride/nizoral).

i explained it was a foam shed and that it would grow back thicker and it did!

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score

JWM said:
ps1freak

Were you a liquid minoxidil user before using the foam?

no i never used liquid.

propecia for 1.5 years first.

Reaction score

Should the hair shed gradually lessen each day, or will it just stop?

beaner

Reaction score

philly said:
If fallout of hair after starting a new treatment persists for more than 2, maximum 3 weeks, then it's not due to the treatment working but PROOF it doesn't work.

You're so full of crap your eyes are brown. Why hasn't my hair fallen out if it doesn't work, Philly? Why is it growing in if it doesn't work, Philly? Why are there all those pictures in our success forum if it doesn't work, Philly? Why is it working for many people on this forum, Philly?

WHY DO YOU RECOMMEND IT TO PEOPLE IF IT DOESN'T WORK, PHILLY?

Can you answer these questions for me?

You're a very hard person to take seriously, when your stance on a product seems to change every other week. Have you ever even used the foam?

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score

"Should the hair shed gradually lessen each day, or will it just stop?"

it was both for me. there was a somewhat quick drop off of most of the shedding with some slight shedding continuing for a bit.

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score

i would think it would gradually stop

that's what it did for me, even after 1 year on propecia i still was shedding around 100 hairs a day

now it's prob down to 20-30

some may say 100 is normal, bu tnot for me because b4 male pattern baldness that was the norm.

Reaction score

I think the shedding is gradually slowing over the past couple days. Everytime I used to wet my hands and run them through my hair before I was loosing like 15 hairs. Now its like 5.

Should I expect that hair loss to stop completly, or is the impossible?

Thanks Again

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

You have to stop looking for changes day to day, minoxidil foam is a process that takes months. Keep applying it and forget about it, you're doing all you can do. I am of the opinion that minoxidil does not make anyone's hair fall out - if might do nothing, and your hair continues to thin, but it's not having a negative effect on the hair long term.

Reaction score

1 more question:

If my hair is shorter, will the hair loss be less?

alkulk

Established Member
Reaction score

No!

beaner

Reaction score

philly said:
beaner said:
philly said:
P.S. Beaner, one and for all, read the official FDA study on the foam. It will be a eye-opener for you :youbet: Personally, when I first read it I thought it was a joke.

I read the study. It means absolutely nothing to me since the foam has been far superior than the liquid in my case and in the case of many others here. A 4 month study on a hair loss treatment doesn't mean jackshit anyway---they already proved minoxidil grew hair, they just needed to prove that it was effective in a new vehicle which they were able to do in 4 months--the trials for the liquid lasted almost a year.

Why don't you take a look at the success stories forum. I think it will be a real eye opener for you. :jackit:

You have absolutely no business telling people that the foam doesn't work when all anyone has to do is take a look around this forum to prove that you are wrong.

I also don't think you should be recommending the foam like you do if you're convinced it is useless....and don't deny that you have. I've seen multiple posts by you advising people to use the foam as part of their regimen and then you turn around and tell people it doesn't work.

There is something wrong with you other than hair loss.