Reversing gynecomastia with Raloxifene.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Attempting to reverse gynecomastia with Raloxifene.

Gynecomastia, from what I gather, is a very rare side effect from taking finasteride. However, I know that it does happen, and I want to share my experience in trying to reverse it through a log on here so that maybe someone else may be able to get rid of theirs, if this even works. I'm not a doctor and I don't recommend taking this medication. However, if you do, be aware that long term use of raloxifene can result in a loss of bone density, so the duration of use is usually around 6 months, with 12 months being the absolute maximum.

A little background:

In the last year, I lost a lot of weight, and somewhere along the line, I found out that I have a moderate case of gynecomastia, most likely due to puberty, being overweight, or a combination of both. While taking propecia, my nipples began hurting and I would get aching pains under my nipples, in my chest, most likely growth of the gynecomastia. Since on propecia, I can comfortably say that it has probably grown about 25%. Initially, I tried taking zinc because of its mild aromatase inhibiting effects, but it didn't really work. Instead of shelling out $6,000 for surgery, I did some research and found out that a powerful SERM called Raloxifene has been used in the treatment and reversal of gyno by bodybuilders, and even for pubertal gyno in some lab studies. It seemed promising enough, and it was pretty cheap, so I bought a six month supply of 60mg tablets from alldaychemist. This was about a month ago.

I took measurements of how far out my nipples protrude from the middle of my chest. The left side was about .60 inches and the right side was about .75 inches.
Dose is 60mg every day.

Week 1:
- Pain in nipples and under nipples has completely disappeared.

Week 2:
- No changes since week 1.

Week 3:
- No changes since week 1.

Week 4:
- Left side is now at .55 inches and is a bit flatter, less angled. The difference is subtle. No changes in the right side.

Here is the study done on the matter:
ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15238910

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

kasabian19

Reaction score
Harsher sides and worse for your hair though.

Based on....?

Low does Nolvadex (tamoxifen) would be my choice, even 5mg a day will have a significant effect on gyno. All SERMS are powerful drugs and should not be taken lightly - particularly the vision-related side effects, but Nolva would be my choice for dealing with gyno. BUT if ralox is doing a job for the OP then stick with it and hopefully it'll clear up!

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Week 4: Measurements are the same, however, the whole area is starting to feel a bit "mushier", rather then rock solid as it was before. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Taking an extended break from Raloxifene. Something over the last 6 weeks has been making my hair start shedding again, this time in weird places, and combined with my dry scalp from the winter causing excess oil secretion to compensate utlimately causing sebhorric dermatitis, things are getting worrisome.

So, I need to start cutting out things that I have added or have been doing in the last 6 weeks to try and determine a cause.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Gynecomastia has only one solution:

Surgery.

I agree with you for the most part, however, with newly formed gynecomastia, many have had success with SERMs. I was responding well but I think that it may be interacting with finasteride or something, so I'm going to see what happens if I stop for two months. I Was probably going to get gyno surgery done in the future anyway as I have a bit of gyno from puberty - far too old for a SERM to have any effect.

shookwun

Reaction score
Serms don't get rid of the lump, and glandular tissue that's already formed. all they do is minimize, and shrink the lump while on.

shookwun

Reaction score
Put you under general anesthesia, cut a slit under the nipple, and remove the gland. Throw on a band aid, and it's done.

Iv'e heard of severe cases where men needed to be drained? that wasn't the case for me.

In Canada, provincial healthcare covered it :)

shookwun

Reaction score
First cycle of steroids I ever took I was being careless, and didn't think Id develop any estrogen related side effects. Decided not to take an aromatase inhibitor, and started developing the itch which was followed by the gland towards the end of my cycle. Estrogen rebound was pretty intence once I came off, and started my post cycle therapy.

I should of known better especially being on finasteride, it's almost 100% bound to happen.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Serms don't get rid of the lump, and glandular tissue that's already formed. all they do is minimize, and shrink the lump while on.

Gyno surgery doesn't get rid of all the glandular tissue either. You need a full mastectomy for that

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny how all these guys will do everything in their power to avoid surgery, when it would be cheaper, less stressful and way less time-consuming.

If you visit gynecomastia support forums, they don't even have a medication section like we have for hair loss. It's because nothing can get rid of actual boobs but surgery.

You would think this was common sense, but no, people are afraid of surgery, but cancer drugs with harsh side-effects are OK I guess.

That's funny because I don't see you bitching at the entire forum for using a cancer drug to combat hairloss instead of getting an "inexpensive surgery".

And Raloxifene isn't a cancer drug. If you did two seconds of research you would have known that, but instead you just mindlessly spew garbage out of your mouth to antagonize others for making decisions that you disagree with. I seriously don't even know why you're still allowed on here, all you do is spread negativity and absurdity that is not backed by anything and people eat it up.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Put you under general anesthesia, cut a slit under the nipple, and remove the gland. Throw on a band aid, and it's done.

Iv'e heard of severe cases where men needed to be drained? that wasn't the case for me.

In Canada, provincial healthcare covered it :)

wtf free in canada?? noone had told me this when my gyno was actually noticeable fkkkk

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride is proven to work against hair loss. On the other hand, no drug can combat gynecmastia, I've heard from the mouth of many health professionals.

You're ****ing retarded then. If a health professional told you that your hair was falling out because the moon is getting closer to the earth, would you believe them? You've told me and other people on this board that our experiences didn't happen because you're always right. I guess we're all lying, like it's some giant conspiracy against you. Go on a bodybuilding forum and tell them that their AI and SERM use doesn't "combat" their gyno, see what replies you get.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15238910
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14759718

And tell me that my gyno didn't shrink to half the size since I started it. Your generalizations are complete bull****, I've seen you make them many times already.

shookwun

Reaction score
You're ****ing retarded then. If a health professional told you that your hair was falling out because the moon is getting closer to the earth, would you believe them? You've told me and other people on this board that our experiences didn't happen because you're always right. I guess we're all lying, like it's some giant conspiracy against you. Go on a bodybuilding forum and tell them that their AI and SERM use doesn't "combat" their gyno, see what replies you get.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15238910
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14759718

And tell me that my gyno didn't shrink to half the size since I started it. Your generalizations are complete bull****, I've seen you make them many times already.

U most likely didn't have real gyno, because no SERMS, AI and letrozole get's rid of glandular tissue that's already formed around the areola, and the lump.

This is what I had. The nipples were hyper inflamed, Areola had that rubbery gyno tissue all around, and big lump the size of a nickle underneath.

I also played with AIs, and serm. Didn't do ****.. except minimize the appearance. Once I came off it inflammed back up.

Trust me, I read, tried and did all the research. This is common in the bodybuilding community, and the only way to get rid of it is surgery.

But then again maybe steroid induced gyno is different?

pro-bodybuilder-5576-2.jpg

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
U most likely didn't have real gyno, because no SERMS, AI and letrozole get's rid of glandular tissue that's already formed around the areola, and the lump.

This is what I had. The nipples were hyper inflamed, Areola had that rubbery gyno tissue all around, and big lump the size of a nickle underneath.

I also played with AIs, and serm. Didn't do ****.. except minimize the appearance. Once I came off it inflammed back up.

Trust me, I read, tried and did all the research. This is common in the bodybuilding community, and the only way to get rid of it is surgery.

But then again maybe steroid induced gyno is different?

pro-bodybuilder-5576-2.jpg

Quote me where I said that any of those can get rid of the glandular tissue. It can be shrunken. Again, not even gyno surgery gets completely rid of glandular tissue. That requires a full mastectomy. And yes, I did have true gyno, and no, it didn't completely go away. It did shrink though. I'm a lot leaner then the guys before photo and the rings around my nipples were almost twice as big as his, now they can hardly be seen.

shookwun

Reaction score
You will always have a lump under neath, and the only way to remove that is surgery once it becomes fully inflamed.

I no longer have the lump, it was completely removed.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
You will always have a lump under neath, and the only way to remove that is surgery once it becomes fully inflamed.

I no longer have the lump, it was completely removed.

Do your nips/chest look completely normal now? I understand that most surgeons prefer to leave a tiny bit of gland in as the nipples can concave/look weird when the whole thing is removed.

shookwun

Reaction score
completely normal.

Have a little slit of a scar under neath my nipple by areola, that's about it. to be expected.