Repigmentation And New Growth Of Hairs After Anti–interleukin-17 Therapy With Secukinumab

westonci

Experienced Member
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352512618300158

We report on a patient with psoriasis who experienced darkening and noticeable increase in scalp hair while he was receiving anti–interleukin (IL)-17 therapy.

A 61-year-old man with a 2-year history of plaque psoriasis treated only with topical steroids and calcipotriol

After 6 months of therapy with secukinumab, the patient, who also had androgenetic alopeciatype II/III noticed that his scalp hair, which had been totally gray/white for 10 years was becoming darker over the entire scalp with a diffuse increased hair density of approximately 15%

Repigmentation of hairs has been associated with the intake of various drugs including latanoprost, thalidomide, lenalidomide, para-aminobenzoic acid, corticosteroids, cyclosporine, L-thyroxine, verapamil, tamoxifen, levodopa, cisplatin, retinoids, and, most recently, with targeted anticancer therapies

-> In our patient, we attributed his hair darkening and thickening to increased anagen growth phase, as a result of a changed immune control over the hair cycle removing the inhibitory influences of IL-17 after secukinumab administration. In fact, IL-17 may increase the synthesis of antimelanogenic cytokine IL-6 in cultured normal human melanocytes.7 Moreover, a synergistic effect on melanocytes from IL-17 and TNF-α, both inhibiting pigmentation-related signaling and melanin production and inducing keratinocyte production of β-defensin-3 (an antagonist for melanocortin1 receptor), have been described.
-> Actually, blockade of TNF-α and IL-17 resulted in a restoration of pigmentation gene expression

-> Hair darkening and regrowth after administration of some drugs suggests that hair whitening and thinning caused by the aging process might be reversible

https://i.imgur.com/mL6T1Qc.jpg

mL6T1Qc.jpg

Last edited:

el_duterino

Reaction score
Wow at this age this is stunning
The drug is available in many countries and with a molecular mass of only 147 you can use this as topical on the scalp no issue

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352512618300158

We report on a patient with psoriasis who experienced darkening and noticeable increase in scalp hair while he was receiving anti–interleukin (IL)-17 therapy.

A 61-year-old man with a 2-year history of plaque psoriasis treated only with topical steroids and calcipotriol

After 6 months of therapy with secukinumab, the patient, who also had androgenetic alopeciatype II/III noticed that his scalp hair, which had been totally gray/white for 10 years was becoming darker over the entire scalp with a diffuse increased hair density of approximately 15%

Repigmentation of hairs has been associated with the intake of various drugs including latanoprost, thalidomide, lenalidomide, para-aminobenzoic acid, corticosteroids, cyclosporine, L-thyroxine, verapamil, tamoxifen, levodopa, cisplatin, retinoids, and, most recently, with targeted anticancer therapies

-> In our patient, we attributed his hair darkening and thickening to increased anagen growth phase, as a result of a changed immune control over the hair cycle removing the inhibitory influences of IL-17 after secukinumab administration. In fact, IL-17 may increase the synthesis of antimelanogenic cytokine IL-6 in cultured normal human melanocytes.7 Moreover, a synergistic effect on melanocytes from IL-17 and TNF-α, both inhibiting pigmentation-related signaling and melanin production and inducing keratinocyte production of β-defensin-3 (an antagonist for melanocortin1 receptor), have been described.
-> Actually, blockade of TNF-α and IL-17 resulted in a restoration of pigmentation gene expression

-> Hair darkening and regrowth after administration of some drugs suggests that hair whitening and thinning caused by the aging process might be reversible

View attachment 90621

Are you going to try this?

I don’t see why you’d need to with your results :p

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have 2 thoughts on this, first is the cost at £2k per month and the second is that it was probably the psoriasis that was causing the hair loss/greyness in the first place not DHT so probably wont do much for male pattern baldness.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have 2 thoughts on this, first is the cost at £2k per month and the second is that it was probably the psoriasis that was causing the hair loss/greyness in the first place not DHT so probably wont do much for male pattern baldness.

Having grey hairs is genetic. Also I think you rarely have psoriasis on 100% of your scalp. It's often situated on the borders and top of the scalp(?). Here we can safely conclude darkening of all his hairs. I am always amazed/impressed to see such result because this happened on human and not usual mouse studies. this is a reminder, something good can always happen. btw If you find the ultimate topical drug for grey hair+topical ultimate drug for male pattern baldness this would obviously be the winner

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If you had read what I've posted it's stated that the man has male pattern baldness stade 2
He has both.

Moreover Tnf alpha and Il-17 are strongly related to AA.

Last edited:

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would be nice just to get 2 injections a month and not have to bother with all the crap we have to do now! I am guessing that £2k per month is going to be out of reach for most of us though. Maybe they will take pity on our poor bald asses and reduce the cost one day!

sito

Reaction score
How often did they used it? In Greece this costs almost 600 Euro per injection. But if sb could get it prescribed you can get it 75% off.

Hairloss2020aga

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just googled the side effects. Less than 10% of people had upper respiratory infections when using the drug. That appears to be the worst side effect, everything else was negliable. The side effects seem much less intense than finasteride... This seems much safer...

Hairloss2020aga

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol.. after googling upper respiratory track infection yeah, it looks like it's just a common cold. BUT I would clarity on that. That was 30 seconds of me googling...