Reducing the scalp flakes

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I have a severe case of minoxidil scalp flakes, which is in a roundabout way causing tricholomania (That's incorrect spelling, I know)...

It's really upsetting me. I've tried shampooing and lowering the minoxidil solution, but it doesn't seem to work. Could I be allergic to something in the minoxidil? I'm getting great results if I would stop pulling out my hair.

Any suggestions?

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1,

I think it is most likely the 5% Rogaine that you're taking. Probably most everyone experiences dandruff from that stuff (I know that I did). But you could mitigate the problem by not putting so much of it on. Additionally, instead of using it twice daily, maybe just use it once every other day. When I was on 5% Rogaine I would actually skip a day every now and then to let my scalp "air out." I eventually dropped the 5% and went to 2%. Now, I started the 5% again, but now I use Dr. Lee's 5% PPG free minoxidil instead. In sum, no more itch or dandruff. The Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo that I use helps a lot also.

http://www.minoxidil.com/ (see product# 540)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe I'll take a day off every week to let things rest on my scalp. I'll still stick to the two applications daily, but maybe I'll use PPG-free products... Even though they are more expensive...
Thanks again!

eskimo23

Reaction score
Ya I use the 5% everyday that I can. Im a grad student which means Ive put off the real world for an extension of partying and spurging like the worlds about to end. In this case, Im not in the condition to apply this stuff at night, or do anything else, every night of the week, so my scalp gets some rest and Ive only experienced a minimal of flaking. And I dont use any anti dandruff shampoo so I think the day off theory might be a good one.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Do you guys drop the stuff on your head, or do you gradually just apply it all over (This is what I do... And by this, I mean push down on the applicator so that it gradually puts on the minoxidil on your head)

I wish I could word this better.

eskimo23

Reaction score
Well no one stands there to tell me if im doing it right but I put a squirt in the areas where I want the results and then I have to kind of rub it in so it dosnt just run down my head. I have kind of thick hair everywhere else and its kind of medium length because it curls and the girls like it. but it makes it a pain to apply it where id like. I saw your pictures and since you keep your hair shorter, I would bet that a more stratgic application (like pressing the application and gradully dispusing the agent) to areas would help prevent run off and is probably the correct method.

Mr Wabbit

Reaction score
Hi, Just a quick question, whats the difference between the "540 Minoxidil 5% without Propylene Glycol, 65 mL " and the "501 Minoxidil 5% with Retin-A 0.025%, 65 mL" other then the cost?

Also do you need to wash your hair every night when applying minoxidil and spironolactone? due to my hairs becomin dry and i would like to change to washing it every other night, but im in two minds, 1) i dont know about leaving this stuff on my scalp, but then i think well it should all soak in cus thats its aim?

Thanks

Rodger

Bod

Reaction score
I apply emu oil an hour after applying minoxidil (Kirklands) and it stops scalp flakes, before using this I had terrible case of flakes, also Emu Oil is suppose to provide hair regrowth, make sure you get Pure Australian Oil though.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Mr Wabbit said:
Hi, Just a quick question, whats the difference between the "540 Minoxidil 5% without Propylene Glycol, 65 mL " and the "501 Minoxidil 5% with Retin-A 0.025%, 65 mL" other then the cost?

Also do you need to wash your hair every night when applying minoxidil and spironolactone? due to my hairs becomin dry and i would like to change to washing it every other night, but im in two minds, 1) i dont know about leaving this stuff on my scalp, but then i think well it should all soak in cus thats its aim?

Thanks

Rodger

Propylene Glycol is a mixing agent that increases Minoxidil's shelf-life. A lot of people are allergic to it, and it causes major flaking... For those scalp-sensitive to Rogaine, this is a good product.

Retin-A is an anti-acne treatment. However, it's been studied that when applied with minoxidil, Retin-A greatly increases absorbtion and gives out much better results. It should only be used at night.

Wait at least 4 hours before you wash your hair... Most of the absorbtion will occur in 1 hour, but, for full benefit, wait 4 hours.

Mr Wabbit

Reaction score
Hi, What do you lot think is the best minoxidil then? Iv been using standard regaine for about 5 mths and havent really noticed any improvments, so do you think swoopin for something with Retin-A could help? and will this help get rid of any flakes? or is there some minoxidil with no ppg and retain-A aswell?

Could you please provide a link of any minoxidil you suggest cus im still new to all this.

Thanks

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't think there's a Retin-A solution of minoxidil that's scalp friendly.

You can buy it at http://www.minoxidil.com for relatively cheap and use it at night. You should see results. Also, look at using Xandrox in the morning. It contains an element of Azelaic Acid, which should help with scalp DHT.

Do a little research and you'll learn lots about the power of minoxidil.

Mr Wabbit

Reaction score
HI thanks for the reply. Iv started to use the minoxidil and spironolactone just on a night time now after 5mths of using it twice a day, What do you all think is the best minoxidil to use just on a night time? and is Xandrox any diff cus i dont wanna swoop and loose any thing the minoxidil has cause?

Thanks again

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I would stick to the same minoxidil you've been using. Xandrox is good, and contains minoxidil plus more, but it will probably induce a shed, and you don't want to deal with that right now.

Just stick to the regimine you already have going for you.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Kinda if a weird question, but I have to ask...what are those flakes anway?

- Are they dried up ppg residue or are they dead skin that's flaking off?

- Is it because the skin dries up because of the PPG or the minoxidil?

Maybe it's skin flakin off because of all the new hairs pushing through :) , here's to hopin.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aplunk,
you are only a NW1.5, why do you need 1.5 ml minoxidil for every application.
I am a NW5, I never need more than 1.5 ml.
Remember use a dropper and apply a drop in your weak areas, then rub it in.
There is no need to soak your head with minoxidil.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've cut down a lot with the minoxidil and spironolactone-- I've been only using enough to slightly moisten my scalp... about 1 -2 ml per application.

This is suiting me much better... with less scalp irritation, too.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aplunk, again 2 ml is too much for you.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
2ml is too much for the entire hairline, temples, anterior, and crown? It seems like it takes that much just for coverage.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aplunk,
a very thin layer (thinnest possible layer) is enough. I believe you are just droppig minoxidil on head and you are losing most of it to your hairs.
apply directly on the scalp.
According to Dr. Lee, find 6 weakest spots in your entire head. drop 1/6 of ml in each spot and rub it in.
Personally I take 0.5 ml in the dropper, drop it in 3 different weak spots.
There is no need to soak your head with minoxidil. getting the thinnest possible coating of minoxidil is the key.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
hey...what about my question? :( , I'm serious, I'm not sure what those flakes are...