Recession buster: Diluting 5% minoxidil to go further

Michael

Reaction score
Can you water down extra strength minoxidil?

I can buy Extra Strength Regaine (5%) at about the same price as standard 2% stuff. I probably dont need extra strength but it was all I could buy at the time at the price.

I am currently unsing half the amount of 5% and it seems to be working ok with Finasteride.
(
posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=48040
)

Can it be diluted with water? to go further?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Minoxidil is only sparingly soluble in water, so I'd be afraid that some of the minoxidil would drop out of solution if you started adding water to it. Just use a smaller quantity of the solution.

Michael

Reaction score
Sounds like water might ruin the solution? If so try to just spread less more..?
Shorter hair allows me to spread 0.5ml no worries. Longer hair seems to soak a lot up...

Anyone out there doing anything similar?

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, Minoxidil is really cheap.... its about $6 a month. If you're that hard up buy some Raman noodles.

beaner

Reaction score
TAINTED-MEAT said:
Dude, Minoxidil is really cheap.... its about $6 a month. If you're that hard up buy some Raman noodles.

Since you have absolutely no idea what his current situation is, your comment is absolutely unnecessary and extremely rude. If he had stated above that he lost his job and had a family to support would you have said such nonsense?

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
TAINTED-MEAT said:

Since you have absolutely no idea what his current situation is, your comment is absolutely unnecessary and extremely rude. If he had stated above that he lost his job and had a family to support would you have said such nonsense?

Well beaner, I don't think he would be on this board and spend his money on finasteride and other hair loss products if he lost his job and his family was starving... use some common sense.

beaner

Reaction score
TAINTED-MEAT said:
beaner said:
[quote="TAINTED-MEAT":1at4sx87]Dude, Minoxidil is really cheap.... its about $6 a month. If you're that hard up buy some Raman noodles.

Well beaner, I don't think he would be on this board and spend his money on finasteride and other hair loss products if he lost his job and his family was starving... use some common sense.[/quote:1at4sx87]

...and you still don't know what his situation is. You are just surmising based on the fact that he's using finasteride---why don't YOU use some common sense before tossing out posts that could be offensive.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rogaine costs about 20 CENTS PER DAY.

I'm sure he could cut 20 cents/day someplace else if had to

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Like HT55 said, he can cut a a few cents a day if he has to. Get over it, you make no sense beaner.

beaner

Reaction score
You missed my point entirely--it's not about the cost of minoxdil, it's about being rude to people you don't know about a potentially sensitive subject, and if that makes no sense to you TAINTED-MEAT you have a lot of growing up to do.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would go with a cheaper generic over diluting Rogaine
any day. Or even use 2% if I had to. Why pay for their cost
of advertising and branding?

CCS

Reaction score
Michael said:
Can you water down extra strength minoxidil?

I can buy Extra Strength Regaine (5%) at about the same price as standard 2% stuff. I probably dont need extra strength but it was all I could buy at the time at the price.

I am currently unsing half the amount of 5% and it seems to be working ok with Finasteride.
(
posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=48040
)

Can it be diluted with water? to go further?

Not water. Dilute it with ethanol, from everclear. Then you get two 2%'s for the price of 1, which is probably 2/3 as strong as the 5% per mL.

CCS

Reaction score
beaner said:
You missed my point entirely--it's not about the cost of minoxdil, it's about being rude to people you don't know about a potentially sensitive subject, and if that makes no sense to you TAINTED-MEAT you have a lot of growing up to do.

I agree with Beaner. I don't think the other guy was that rude, but he was definitely making assumptions and not giving helpful advice they guy did not already know.

I still say dilute it with the everclear. Every clear is 750mL for $15. That is 50mL per dollar. So a $6 bottle turns into 110mL for $7, and you get like 2.7% minoxidil.

On Amazon.com you can get 6 5% minoxidil for $20 plus shipping. That is $4 per bottle. So $5 per 110mL of 2.7%. If that is still not enough, apply it after a shower, after drying off, you'll absorb 5x as much.

Michael

Reaction score
OK guys, I took no offense to any comments, nor did I consider them rude. Thanks for the replies.

**Update**

Simply- it did not appear to work so I resumed the "use as directed" approach.

Even as directed, I am still receding so I am concentrating more on Nizoral more regularly, but I losing this battle, I am afraid.

www.epharmacy.com.au has a list of Australian prices and product availability, which is likely more expensive and limited than the US.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we currently only have treatments for hairloss, not cures. Hang in there, do what you can to help treat it, and hope for the best!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Michael said:
OK guys, I took no offense to any comments, nor did I consider them rude. Thanks for the replies.

**Update**

Simply- it did not appear to work so I resumed the "use as directed" approach.

Even as directed, I am still receding so I am concentrating more on Nizoral more regularly, but I losing this battle, I am afraid.

http://www.epharmacy.com.au has a list of Australian prices and product availability, which is likely more expensive and limited than the US.

You should be on Propecia to stop the hair loss and rogaine to help regrow