Real propecia stats! which one is it..

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
why does propecia.com say 9/10 people using propecia were better off. thats 90%

while everywhere else it says 83% maintained.

"Propecia's claim to fame is maintenance. 83% of men studied were able to maintain their original hair count, and 64% experienced regrowth after 2 years" - hairlosstalk.com

"In clinical studies, 9 of 10 patients on PROPECIA had visible results (maintenance or improvement) according to photographic assessments by an independent panel of dermatologists.

An expert panel of dermatologists determined that 90% (251 of 279) of men on PROPECIA at 5 years showed improvement or no visible hair loss vs 25% (4 of 16) on placebo (sugar pill)." propecia.com

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
I think we're splitting hairs here, no offense or pun intended.

If it really concerns you let's split the diff and say 86%?

Britannia

Reaction score
The FDA trials reported a success rate of 86%. I believe this to be the correct figure. It is published here: http://www.propecia.com

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
doesnt concern me. its just i encountered different stats on 3 different websites. and to top it off the generic version of the drug that i'm taking says "95% maintenance".

Deaner

Reaction score
Or take it and see how it does for you. Stats mean jackshit to you if you're in the 14% that it doesn't do anything for.

Britannia

Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
doesnt concern me. its just i encountered different stats on 3 different websites. and to top it off the generic version of the drug that i'm taking says "95% maintenance".

Theres loads of independant studies out there assessing 1mg Finasteride's effect on hairloss with varying results. I personally take the FDA trials to be the gold standard of drug testing (as the US and UK government do).

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
No, it's exactly 83%.

Merck only invited ten men to participate in the FDA trials.

One of those men did not respond at all. His dick fell off, actually.

Eight men maintained their hair with varying levels of regrowth.

But the other unlucky sonofabitch only had just under 1/3 of success on Propecia. Only 33% of his scalp responded -- a strip right down the middle.

That man was Mr. T.

Britannia

Reaction score
Freestyle said:
No, it's exactly 83%.

Not sure if you were being serious, but for the record the offical Propecia success rate as reported by FDA approved trials was 86%.