Question on tumeric curcumin supplements

abcdefg

Reaction score
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... meric.html

"Limited animal studies show that a component of turmeric, curcumin, may increase liver function tests. However, one human study reports that turmeric has no effect on these tests. Turmeric or curcumin may cause gallbladder squeezing (contraction) and may not be advised in patients with gallstones. In animal studies, hair loss (alopecia) and lowering of blood pressure have been reported. In theory, turmeric may weaken the immune system, and should be used cautiously in patients with immune system deficiencies."

According to this blocking tgf beta seems to cause hairloss? Is something like curcumin safe to take as a supplement?

docj077

Reaction score
Ask the thousands of 60+ y/o men living India that eat curry on a regular basis. The doses that cause those side effects are well above and beyond what a normal human being taking curcumin as a supplement will ever take in. We're talking about 5 grams a day or more in some studies to get those effects, I believe. Many people here are taking 900 mg a day at the most.

michael barry

Reaction score
The doses that cause those side effects are well above and beyond what a normal human being taking curcumin as a supplement will ever take in.

.................When drug companies want to bury a supplement, it seems they fund a study that gives an uber dose of some natural to a little critter or another, and hype the ensuing side effects or give the supplement (like in the case of saw palmetto) to some hopelessly sick men, and when no improvement is seen, loudly proclaim it not to be helpful. Splenda and the sweetening ingredient in "Sweet n'low" was "cancerfied" in much this way. Sweet n'Low's sweetening ingredient was given to some very very sick little rodents, who were getting cancers with injections of mere water. When they got sick, it was reported that "active ingredient in Sweet n'Low causes cancer in some lab animals in large doses", etc, etc.

Over dosage is a dishonest way to invalidate some natural supplements like tumeric. Regular dosage of tumeric cant be that bad, its been eaten for too damn long in India and there would be absolutly obvious cultural observations of negatives by now for sure.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
So MB you think internal Saw Palmetto supplementation has been killed off by unscrupulous big pharma studies?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well my hair is pretty thick still but its very very slowly thinning. Im scared of finasteride and the risks of messing up the hair I have I dont want to chance it. That being said tgf beta if as important as it is maybe some supplement would help me.
Curcumin like this:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?pr ... age=search
Seems to be the best tgf beta inhibitor although green tea and L-taurine are also. I was thinking it might be worth taking if I dont take finasteride for a while.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah i bought tumeric from a bulk food store what a waste of money. wikipedia says curcumin doesnt get absorbed unless you take pipperine with it. So basically i can eat as much of this spice as i want and it will do nothing.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah i bought tumeric from a bulk food store what a waste of money. wikipedia says curcumin doesnt get absorbed unless you take pipperine with it. So basically i can eat as much of this spice as i want and it will do nothing.