Question on minoxidil 15%

Reaction score
Lets say my hairline has receded about one inch in the past 5 years. That means that area is now "bare skin". I'd like to know if minoxidil 5% or stronger versions like 15% actually can regrow hair in that area where there are no more vellus hairs, but only bare skin (where you used to have a hairline).

ChiaHead

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, i think it depends on your age and how long that area has been bald for. Ive been on the big 3 for about 11 months now and with my experience, once the hairs are gone or too small to notice, then theres not much you can do. minoxidil and Propecia really just save the hairs that are "dying" and help keep what you got left. Actual regrowth, from what I have noticed, is minimal. Im 25 yrs old and started thinning when I was about 19.

Reaction score
Thanks Chia. I'm 31 and started to lose VERY SLOWLY since 16.
Anyone else like to share their thoughts if strong minoxidil helps with "bare skin" areas just beneath the hairline. Thanks.

G

I am using minoxidil 5% on my bare temples. They have some vellous hairs and peach fuzz though. Hoping for slight growth. Take a look at my left temple pic.

G

Azaleic acid is suppossed to inhibit DHT by 98%? I saw somebody say that on regrowth.com. Isn't azaleic acid just a substitute for PPG in minoxidil? And a lot of the guys on regrowth.com are very uninformed, so i am asking here.

Concerning Xandrox 15%, i would only use that after a year on minox5% if i still needed further thickening.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Azaleic acid is suppossed to inhibit DHT by 98%? Isn't azaleic acid just a substitute for PPG in minoxidil?

Don't say "inhibit DHT" (which is vague and ambiguous), simply say "reduce DHT".

I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that azelaic reduces DHT or inhibits 5a-reductase to the extent of 98% where applied. The available evidence is against that notion.

No, I wouldn't call azelaic acid "just a substitute for PPG" in minoxidil.

Bryan

The Gardener

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Azaleic acid is suppossed to inhibit DHT by 98%?

In a test tube it might. But, in the dynamic environment of the human scalp there are a lot of variables that can affect this.

bombscience

Reaction score
Bryan said:
badasshairday said:
Azaleic acid is suppossed to inhibit DHT by 98%? Isn't azaleic acid just a substitute for PPG in minoxidil?

Don't say "inhibit DHT" (which is vague and ambiguous), simply say "reduce DHT".

I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that azelaic reduces DHT or inhibits 5a-reductase to the extent of 98% where applied. The available evidence is against that notion.

No, I wouldn't call azelaic acid "just a substitute for PPG" in minoxidil.

Bryan

Bryan, based on your reading on the web and the stories from users of an azelaic acid solution do you feel it is an effective treatment for hairloss?

G

I had a bare scalp and I didnt think I could regrow anything there. I did once I added the Xandrox 15%. The regrown hair is thin though.

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan,

after using the 15% I noticed that there was "preciptation", (chucks of minoxidil in my solution). Dr Lee said that it just happens. I have talked with a couple other suppliers of high does minoxidil and they dont feel there is any way to make a 15% minoxidil that is stable in a liquid base, and those chunks are evidence of that.
They say to get 15% minoxidil stable it has to be in either a gel or cream base. Because of this I may go back to the Xandrox 12.5%

what are your guys thoughts?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YoungGuy17,
thin is better then nothin.