Question about rapid heartbeat after using minoxidil

spiffy

Reaction score
Hi,
I experienced a bad reaction to minixodil and have a few questions about it. I am a healthy 31 year old with no history of heart problems. My blood pressure is about normal.

On Monday morning, I used 5 drops (< 1mL) of 2% generic CVS minoxidil on my vertex. There was a negligible increase in my heart rate (pulse went from 75 to 80 and remained stable the whole day). I did not apply a 2nd application that day.

On Tuesday morning, I used 5 drops (< 1mL) around my receeding hair line. In less than 5 minutes, my heart rate went from 75 to 130 beats per second. I was able to slow it down to 85 by drinking lots of water immediately, but it remained unsually high (85-95) and erratic for the rest of the day. My normal resting heart rate is 65-70.

This is the second time I've attempted to use minoxidil and had a bad reaction, so I believe that it's caused by the minoxidil. During the first application, I wasn't sure if it was the minoxidil that increased the heart rate, because I also had a fever.

After several weeks of not using it, I concluded I had used too much the first time (2-3mL to both vertex and hairline), so this time, I took a lot less than the recommended dosage and it happen within two applications. When I first used the product, it took 4 applications over 2 days to produce the symptoms. This time, it took 2 light applications over 2 days to produce the symptoms.

I know it's not intended for the hairline, but I didn't have any reason to believe that it would be more dangerous on the hairline than on the vertex. All my research shows that very little is supposed to get absorbed into the blood stream. I haven't found one case on the Internet of overdose from topical application.

What puzzles me is: I don't understand why application to my vertex on Monday did not cause the same reaction as application to my receeding hairline on Tuesday. So my questions are:

1) Is it possible that the skin around my hairline absorbs more minoxidil into the bloodstream than the skin on my vertex?

2) Or, is it possible that the CVS brand of minoxidil is inferior to the Rogaine brand (causes more absorption into the bloodstream)?

3) Or I am I just extremely sensitive to minoxidil?

4) Ultimately, the question that plagues me is:

If I had followed the directions correctly the first time (apply only to vertex), would I still have inevitably experienced these symptoms?

Now, I know for a fact that it's unsafe to use it on my hairline, but I don't know if it's unsafe on just my vertex. I'm hesitant to try it a third time on just my vertex.

Thank you for considering my question.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I had side effects you described the first few weeks of using Minoxidil.. which have now subsided. I think you should stop looking at your heart rate and give it a shot for a week. If the problems don't subside, then minoxidil is not for you.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Would be interesting for you to try a "placebo" test to see perhaps its just your mind causing your increased heart beats.

But the minoxidil liquid has a characteristic that would be hard to replicate... maybe you could ask somebody to apply either the minoxidil or another liquid for you... so that you cant see or know what liquid is being used.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
You probably have low blood pressure. The minoxidil lowers the blood pressure more than it should, and makes your heart work overtime to compensate. You don't want your heart working overtime, especially with that much of a reaction. Seriously, i would look into something else, like finasteride and some tricomin, christ, even revivogen. I had the same problem. I don't mess with the Argnine or any of that stuff. I would have a doctor check it out, but the low blood pressure thing is treated by DRINKING WATER, so, if water helped..
I still have alot of hair,so I use NANO Shampoo, Tricomin and Nizoral and I'll probably get proscar, as i have some BPH. And don't even think of trying Adenogen (adeinosine) as it does the same thing, plus, while it lowers blood pressure, I have yet to read anyone touting it's successful regrowth.
Last, but not least, do alot of mild to medium cardio- don't go over board. Use a heart monitor too make sure your not going too high. It won't help your hair (there are plenty of bald tri-athletes ) but it will help your health.
Last, but not least, my mom has low blood pressure, and she is going on 78 years old, so it's not like a death sentence, just be careful.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Increased heart rate is one of the side effects of minoxidil. You can also greatly magnify these sides, by increasing absorption, and applying minoxidil to a wet head. I too experienced a rapid heartbeat for a few before they completely subsided.

spiffy

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

Interesting comment about the placebo effect. I wish the racing heartbeat was just in my mind, but it's real, because it's effects lasts several days (ex. erratic beats, tingling)

With regard to blood pressure, my blood pressure is usually on the high side 130-140/85-90. Maybe, the minixodil drops my blood pressure significantly. I measured a day after taking the minoxidil and it was still high, so it's puzzling. But I agree, I don't want to take chances with my health.

Other people say they experienced it, but it went away. I'm still not sure if mine will go away. 120/sec is double my normal resting heart rate. Maybe, my skin was wet when I applied it.

rockey007

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi spiffy/All,

I am also seeing side effect of rogaine, I was using rogaine from last 5 months, but looks like because of summer and I get lot of swaet it got entered my bloodstream. So from last 1 month I m not using it. I get sudden feeling of heartbeat racing and tickling and somewhat equilibrium problem like fear of fall when standing. So Does anyone know till how many days approx these symptoms will be there ?
Thank you very much in advance.

mikeming

My Regimen
Reaction score
i stop using rogaine for two month my heart beat goes up to (90s)which is higher than when i was on it (70s) anybody has the same situation ?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had irregular heart beats on minoxidil. Nothing crazy but definitely something odd. I stopped after 2-3 weeks due to the inconvinience of applying it You may try the foam and taper your way in over several days/weeks.