Proxiphen(-N) a scam?

bcapop

Established Member
Reaction score
I still think that Proxiphen is a scam because it's way too expensive and there are no studies showing its effectiveness. I also found out that the spironolactone in the Minoxidil do react and create an offensive oder. But despite that I'm willing to be open on the subject, so could anyone tell me a positive story about Proxiphen-N or Proxiphen? And with positive I mean no more receeding or at least some regrowth.

Thanks.

B.t.w. I only see negative posts about it (except for Bryan).

I've used prox-n since October 06.... in conjunction with an array of other topicals....

it hasn't helped me

The 1st time around I used it religiously for a little over 1 year. Then took a long break and used it for perhaps another year. Like I said, t's a wonderful shampoo wth some thickening properties - but for the results I got, it wasn't worth the expense.

I have been using prox-n 1-2x a day, its been nearly 5 months. Should i give prox-n more time or look into something else. Hasnt even slowed hair loss.... What do you guys think?

i'll definitely use my remaining second bottle of prox-n, but...it's been almost 4 months and i see no new vellus hairs, just further thinning of receeding frontal areas. since dr proctor says that first visible results can be expected within 2-4 months, i'm starting to believe that i'm non responder

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this user on hairlosshelp uses proxiphen with other treatments propecia and xandrox 15. I think proxiphen is a good treatment, it contains a little over 5% minoxidil and spironolactone and some other stuff and prox-n, although overpriced, is a good supplimental treatment to your core regimen. Basically, if you can afford it, it wont hurt. Check out this guys results while using proxiphen, propecia and xandrox...

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Nightline/

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
My son has used proxiphen and finasteride for over a year and is having success. The problem is that most users of proxiphen tend to use it with something else, so it is difficult to attribute any gains to proxiphen. Likewise, it is difficult to say it is having no contribution.

bcapop

Established Member
Reaction score
pratc said:
I still think that Proxiphen is a scam... Guess I am right

I don't think that conclusion can be drawn from what people have said.

Then show me some positive results or proof for Proxiphen(-n). And if he is also using Finasteride or Dutasteride it obviously doesn't count.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Then show me some positive results or proof for Proxiphen(-n). And if he is also using Finasteride or Dutasteride it obviously doesn't count

Agreed. If someone is using two or more products at the same time or even over different times but close, it is hard to prove anything meaningful about the individual products. But, that does not disprove that one or more of the items is/are not contributing to any improvements shown - hence I don't think one of the products can be called a scam. Also, there may be users who have had success by only useing Proxiphen but do not read or contribute to this forum. From what people have said since I have been reading this forum is that some (or all?) of the constituent parts of Proxiphen should be beneficial. You are asking me to somehow prove it is not a scam. I can't do this because I do not have any research or test data on the product. As time is of the essence with hair loss, it is worth a gamble that it may work. I could ask you to prove it is a scam, likewise you can't prove it is.

bcapop

Established Member
Reaction score
pratc said:
Then show me some positive results or proof for Proxiphen(-n). And if he is also using Finasteride or Dutasteride it obviously doesn't count

Agreed. If someone is using two or more products at the same time or even over different times but close, it is hard to prove anything meaningful about the individual products. But, that does not disprove that one or more of the items is/are not contributing to any improvements shown - hence I don't think one of the products can be called a scam. Also, there may be users who have had success by only useing Proxiphen but do not read or contribute to this forum. From what people have said since I have been reading this forum is that some (or all?) of the constituent parts of Proxiphen should be beneficial. You are asking me to somehow prove it is not a scam. I can't do this because I do not have any research or test data on the product. As time is of the essence with hair loss, it is worth a gamble that it may work. I could ask you to prove it is a scam, likewise you can't prove it is.

Anybody who charges 100 dollar A month for a hairloss treatment is just a bastard. Why the hell would you rip off blading men/woman? And then the shampoo, 40 dollar? Please...People should stop suggesting Proxiphen as a good treatment, because it isn't. Finasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral and maybe Dutasteride are good treatments. If you want to use spironolactone, minoxidil, increase NO or use a SOD, there are a lot of cheaper treatments.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Doctor Proctor ain't a scammer for Godsakes. :freaked2:

He'll get mad at me but, I've used MANY things for treating my male pattern baldness. The three best chemicals I respond to topically are spironolactone., tempo/tempol and nicotinic acid n-oxide. (Actually four chemicals but I only need tempo, that stuff is the best for me.)

You can make your own spironolactone. cream and buy the Prox-N for the other stuff. Put on the Prox-N first then spread the spironolactone. cream over it.

The bad part about spironolactone. seems to be that alot of men just plain don't respond to it from what I've read here and on other sites. I remember a study, that was pretty well carried out IIRC, where one-third responded in a minor way, one-third didn't respond at all and one-third responded well. (Only one-third responded well, BUMMER!! However, that study didn't involve a mixture with tempo and nicotinic acid N-oxide added for possible synergy.)

I'm one of the one-third who responds favorably. Got lucky I guess.

Anyway my homemade concoction includes spironolactone., tempo/tempol and nicotinic acid N-oxide. (I also buy Prox-N from LEF so as not to feel too guilty.) I don't sell this stuff and it is only for MY personal use. Not much in the way of innocence but I don't sell this stuff and never will. So, I've tried the Prox-N with spironolactone. cream over the top of it and it is good stuff for me.

I don't think Doctor Proctor's Prox-N is a scam at all. At least for me, his main chemicals work. Especially the tempo/tempol mixed with spironolactone. And his Prox-N lasts a long time because you don't need to use much of it.

In fact, I don't know why Doctor Proctor doesn't sell a cream with just these three chemicals in it (or four chemicals of he put both tempo and tempol in it). It would be alot cheaper than the Rx version and, I'd bet, would work for many men at a more reasonable cost? (This stuff would still be Rx but I assume it would be cheaper because it is easier to make and has far less stuff in it.)

I mean this "Proxiphen Lite" still has it "all" so to speak. The spironolactone. for anti-androgen, tempo/tempol for a very strong anti-oxidant and probably some regrowth and nicotinic acid n-oxide for some regrowth. He should make a cream like this for a reasonable cost. I bet he'd make some money with that one! Plus, these three chemicals just plain make my hair more healthy looking IMHO.

I bet this cream would be cosmetically acceptable also. If my homemade cream is cosmetically acceptable you can believe a professional like Doctor Proctor could do better. Probably WAY BETTER.

In the end though, you guys who haven't tried Prox-N covered with a little spironolactone. cream should give it a try. Leave it on for at least 2 to 4 hours IMHO. The longer the better IMHO.

It doesn't get stinky at all btw.

pippo24

Reaction score
don't think Doctor Proctor's Prox-N is a scam at all. At least for me, his main chemicals work. Especially the tempo/tempol mixed with spironolactone. And his Prox-N lasts a long time because you don't need to use much of it.
For me it´s a scam because it´s damn expensive there are no double blind studies and no positive user experiences (despite of bryan).
But anyway spironolactone works good for me too-and i´m thinking to of ading spintraps to it too.
So it`s quite interesiting you use this with sucsess.
His tempol are spin traps ,right?Do you know if you can mix spin traps with spironolactone?How often do you use spin traps and with which %?
thx

bcapop

Established Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Doctor Proctor ain't a scammer for Godsakes. :freaked2:

He'll get mad at me but, I've used MANY things for treating my male pattern baldness. The three best chemicals I respond to topically are spironolactone., tempo/tempol and nicotinic acid n-oxide. (Actually four chemicals but I only need tempo, that stuff is the best for me.)

You can make your own spironolactone. cream and buy the Prox-N for the other stuff. Put on the Prox-N first then spread the spironolactone. cream over it.

The bad part about spironolactone. seems to be that alot of men just plain don't respond to it from what I've read here and on other sites. I remember a study, that was pretty well carried out IIRC, where one-third responded in a minor way, one-third didn't respond at all and one-third responded well. (Only one-third responded well, BUMMER!! However, that study didn't involve a mixture with tempo and nicotinic acid N-oxide added for possible synergy.)

I'm one of the one-third who responds favorably. Got lucky I guess.

Anyway my homemade concoction includes spironolactone., tempo/tempol and nicotinic acid N-oxide. (I also buy Prox-N from LEF so as not to feel too guilty.) I don't sell this stuff and it is only for MY personal use. Not much in the way of innocence but I don't sell this stuff and never will. So, I've tried the Prox-N with spironolactone. cream over the top of it and it is good stuff for me.

I don't think Doctor Proctor's Prox-N is a scam at all. At least for me, his main chemicals work. Especially the tempo/tempol mixed with spironolactone. And his Prox-N lasts a long time because you don't need to use much of it.

In fact, I don't know why Doctor Proctor doesn't sell a cream with just these three chemicals in it (or four chemicals of he put both tempo and tempol in it). It would be alot cheaper than the Rx version and, I'd bet, would work for many men at a more reasonable cost? (This stuff would still be Rx but I assume it would be cheaper because it is easier to make and has far less stuff in it.)

I mean this "Proxiphen Lite" still has it "all" so to speak. The spironolactone. for anti-androgen, tempo/tempol for a very strong anti-oxidant and probably some regrowth and nicotinic acid n-oxide for some regrowth. He should make a cream like this for a reasonable cost. I bet he'd make some money with that one! Plus, these three chemicals just plain make my hair more healthy looking IMHO.

I bet this cream would be cosmetically acceptable also. If my homemade cream is cosmetically acceptable you can believe a professional like Doctor Proctor could do better. Probably WAY BETTER.

In the end though, you guys who haven't tried Prox-N covered with a little spironolactone. cream should give it a try. Leave it on for at least 2 to 4 hours IMHO. The longer the better IMHO.

It doesn't get stinky at all btw.

You ignorant or what? You are saying it is a scam only in other words, don't you see it? I could start selling some topical spironolactone/Minoxidil/Finasteride and sell it for 100 dollars a month, but I would be scamming you. And Proxiphen-N doesn't have spironolactone.

"It grows significantly more hair on more people than any other agent." Yeah sure it does.. :thumbdown2:

By the way, 254 views and not 1 positive report.

viperfish

Reaction score
You can't call it a scam, but it sure does not work that great. Well, actually if you want to call it a scam that's ok by me. The word "scam" is a bit harsh though, even for money bags Proctor :hump: ! It's funny because I have been on these boards for years (maybe a good 6 years now) and proxiphen comes and goes. People use it and it does not work that great for them. Then a year goes by and someone brings up proxiphen and it's all over the boards again and everyone is talking about it like it's some awesome product! The bottomline is........ it is not worth the money at all. I've spent loads of money on Proctor's products with zero results. I honestly think regular old minoxidil works better. And your all right, if it really works that great then lets see some proof.

bcapop

Established Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
You can't call it a scam, but it sure does not work that great. Well, actually if you want to call it a scam that's ok by me. The word "scam" is a bit harsh though, even for money bags Proctor :hump: ! It's funny because I have been on these boards for years (maybe a good 6 years now) and proxiphen comes and goes. People use it and it does not work that great for them. Then a year goes by and someone brings up proxiphen and it's all over the boards again and everyone is talking about it like it's some awesome product! The bottomline is........ it is not worth the money at all. I've spent loads of money on Proctor's products with zero results. I honestly think regular old minoxidil works better. And your all right, if it really works that great then lets see some proof.

Yes you can call it a scam, because Proctor scams your money with phrases like "It grows significantly more hair on more people than any other agent", but it doesn't. There is NO proof that it even works. Yeah sure he has some patents, but that doesn't prove anything. Like I said before, if it costs way less then the 100 dollars a months he is charging, then maybe it wouldn't be a scam. Just buy some plain 5% Minoxidil (and/or spironolactone) and some Finasteride. THAT will work most of the time.

Even if it does work to some degree, you shouldn't "give" him 100 dollars a month. It pisses me off that somebody would rip bald(ing) people off like that.

Toyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
bcapop said:
pratc said:

Anybody who charges 100 dollar A month for a hairloss treatment is just a bastard. Why the hell would you rip off blading men/woman? And then the shampoo, 40 dollar? Please...People should stop suggesting Proxiphen as a good treatment, because it isn't. Finasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral and maybe Dutasteride are good treatments. If you want to use spironolactone, minoxidil, increase NO or use a SOD, there are a lot of cheaper treatments.
my thoughs exactly .Proctor is a god damn son of a b**ch.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, so I am not misunderstood, I am not saying it is a scam. All I am saying is it may be worth using due to its constituents. I don't have any irrefutable evidence either way. Also, cost alone doesn't make it a scam.
OK, it is expensive, but the supplier has been very generous (relatively speaking) as when I last ordered eight phials I was sent four free and some other stuff. Taking this into account with the need for using less than one phial per month makes the cost less than first impressions would suggest. I consider it could be a good adjunct to something like finasteride. I realise cost is an important factor to most and there may be other alternatives that are cheaper and more proven.

bcapop

Established Member
Reaction score
pratc said:
Just for the record, so I am not misunderstood, I am not saying it is a scam. All I am saying is it may be worth using due to its constituents. I don't have any irrefutable evidence either way. Also, cost alone doesn't make it a scam.
OK, it is expensive, but the supplier has been very generous (relatively speaking) as when I last ordered eight phials I was sent four free and some other stuff. Taking this into account with the need for using less than one phial per month makes the cost less than first impressions would suggest. I consider it could be a good adjunct to something like finasteride. I realise cost is an important factor to most and there may be other alternatives that are cheaper and more proven.

It's not only the costs that make it a scam. Read the thread again please.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Yes BCA, Proxiphen Rx is expensive. It isn't a scam though IMHO. Just research the chemicals he uses and you'll see they have potential IMHO.

However, your title was dealing with Prox-N and the quotes you provided in your original post were comments on Prox-N. You can buy 4 bottles of that for about $30.00 apiece from LEF and they'll each last way more than one month.

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00321.html

I was discussing Prox-N because that was the original subject of your thread. And I explained the success I've had with spironolactone. and some of the chemicals Doctor Proctor uses in Prox-N.

If Proxiphen Rx was $30.00 per two ounce container I'd purchase that in a heartbeat. So, for me it isn't a scam. It is too expensive.

However, since your original post and title to this thread was dealing with Prox-N, I discussed that for Godsakes but maybe overlooked the entire subject you were trying to discuss. (My mistake.)

Pippo: I think tempo/tempol are called spin labels. PBN is the spin trap in his concoctions and it is VERY expensive. Check out the prices from chemical suppliers of PBN. You'll be shocked.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
We should also mention something that's been strangely overlooked so far in this thread, which is the fact that Prox-N has a money-back guarantee. In all the railing that's been done about what a "scam" Prox-N supposedly is, why has there been no acknowledgement of that? :nono: