Protein Drinks

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK, I want to gain weight, my problem is simple. I have a unbelieeeeevable metabolic rate. I struggle to gain weight.

Is it bad to to take protein drinks? Will this affect my hair in a negative way? Anyone where take them and any tips?

Cheers guys.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
you will be fine

Cheers. I don't want to become the hulk or anything. I recently went travelling and lost a lot of weight. I want to gain about 2 stone, maybe over the next 6-12 months.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
Heres my protein shake recipe for gaining weight:

2 scoops ON 100% whey protein (i use chocolate flavor)
4 cups whole milk
3 raw eggs
banana
almonds
some honey

This contains the fats, proteins, and calories that will support your body in a clean weight gain.

Protein shouldn't increase hairloss at all. I would watch out for other body building supplements though, such as test boosters, anabolic steroids, and maybe creatine.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
People eat raw eggs or eggs in general because they are rich in protein and clean fats....fats that are easily burned off. When added to a shake like mine you can't even taste them.

Cassin

Reaction score
Nuli said:
People eat raw eggs or eggs in general because they are rich in protein and clean fats....fats that are easily burned off. When added to a shake like mine you can't even taste them.

people eat raw eggs because of the health myth the Rocky movie created. Go to any bodybuilding forum and people chow down on cooked eggs. Eggs got a bad cholesterol image but you can get good ones like "Heart Land" eggs..I eat a pack every week.

And like patagonia said..."salmonela"

GNUist (formerly FC)

Established Member
Reaction score
get a weight gainer protein drink, There is one called, I think, Russian Bear 5000 that you can add 5000 calories to your daily intake with.

ali777

Reaction score
5000 kcal a day is too much?? That's about 700gr of body weight in 1 day. That sort of weight gain in 24 hours can't be healthy.

I'll do the maths. 1kg~=7000kcal.

Optimus wants to put on 14kg in 12 months, let's say 1kg a month. That would mean he needs to consume 7000kcal more than he spends in a month. Let's call it roughly 2000kcal a week....

So, he needs to consume about 300kcal extra everyday. That's exactly 2 pints a day. Two pints every night for a year should do it :whistle:

Seriously, there is no other way of gaining weight, you have to consume that extra 300kcal everyday. I've been trying to put on weight for more than a year now, but most of the time I don't eat that extra 300kcal a day. All I managed in 12 months is 3-4kg... 75kg for a 6'0" is actually ideal, but I have large shoulders, so a few more kilos would be better.

Here is an idea, go to the gym. Muscle is heavier than fat, so that should make you eat more and put on some weight.

PS: I have a protein drink after working out. I use the generic stuff sold in Holland&Barrats. Some of them are disgusting, try a few and see which one you prefer. Flavoured ones are easier to drink.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Nuli said:

people eat raw eggs because of the health myth the Rocky movie created. Go to any bodybuilding forum and people chow down on cooked eggs. Eggs got a bad cholesterol image but you can get good ones like "Heart Land" eggs..I eat a pack every week.

And like patagonia said..."salmonela"

No im sorry people do NOT eat raw eggs just because of rocky...I mean come on you can't be serious. People eat raw eggs because they're VERY cheap, good in nutrients and easy to add to protein shakes(which most body builders drink 2-3 a day). I eat cooked eggs too, but to get to the daily calorie intake I'm reaching, raw eggs in my protein shake help. I'm not worried about salmonela. At all.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
GNUist (formerly FC) said:
get a weight gainer protein drink, There is one called, I think, Russian Bear 5000 that you can add 5000 calories to your daily intake with.

IMO its better to use 100% protein and add foods with complex carbs/calories, then buying the generic weight gainer.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nuli said:
GNUist (formerly FC) said:

IMO its better to use 100% protein and add foods with complex carbs/calories, then buying the generic weight gainer.

Darn, I just brought a weight gainer. lol. Its something like half protein and half carbs, got some great reviews. For every 100g I get 333Kcals.

So, the plan is to eat like I do now, just drink once in the morning, and once before I sleep...or maybe just once a day...see how it goes.

ali777 said:
So, he needs to consume about 300kcal extra everyday. That's exactly 2 pints a day. Two pints every night for a year should do it :whistle:

Lol...I did think about that...

ali777 said:
Here is an idea, go to the gym. Muscle is heavier than fat, so that should make you eat more and put on some weight.

I know this sounds stupid, but I just don't enjoy eating. I eat to live rather than live to eat. Of course I love to eat a burger and fries, but I can't eat that more than 6 times a year. So I eat potato or pasta, and that is boring.

If I could have a meal in a pill and it was healthy, I would do it.

barcafan

Reaction score
Eggs need to be cooked in order for their nutrients to become bio available. I'm 181 cm, and have been gaining weight steadily with 3500 Cals (from 160 lbs to 185). Might need to bump it up because i too, have a very hgih metabolic rate as well as being highly active.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Raw egg whites are said to cause a Biotin deficiency.
Biotin deficiency can be caused by excessive consumption of raw egg whites over a long period (months to years). Egg whites contain high levels of avidin, a protein that binds the vitamin biotin strongly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albumen

So, if you're concerned about hair loss, DO NOT EAT RAW EGG WHITES.

ali777

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
ali777 said:

I know this sounds stupid, but I just don't enjoy eating. I eat to live rather than live to eat. Of course I love to eat a burger and fries, but I can't eat that more than 6 times a year. So I eat potato or pasta, and that is boring.

If I could have a meal in a pill and it was healthy, I would do it.

I'm on the same boat. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy nice food, but I get full too quickly, and I don't have the appetite to stuff my face 10 times a day.

I try to be an organised eater. I go through my three meals a day, and I might have a few biscuits with my tea/coffee and the odd apple here and there. Apart from that I don't eat. It can feel like a chore sometimes.

On the subject of beer. My body doesn't like alcohol, I develop a beer belly very quickly. Seriously, if I want to put on weight for the sake of putting on weight, alcohol is a very quick fix... Obviously, it's bad weight...