prostate shrinking? i'm urinating all the time!

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
The ONLY side effect I have noticed while being on dutasteride (approaching 4 months) has been that i urinate much more frequently. This really doesn't make any sense to me, considering that i thought older men take this (partly) to cure this problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Same for me. I´m not on dutasteride, but on finasteride, instead.

It has come to the point that yestaerday, when I arrived home,I found a sitcky written by my mom hanging in my room´s door, I will translate it for you:

"Please son, don´t urinate from the balcony. The grass is growing no more in the zone you´re peeing. Also the painting of the house is going becouse of the stains. I hope it wouldn´t be too difficult for you"

It could sound extrange, but the fact is that I pee that many times that I´m tired to go all the time to the bathroom, so I just open the door and pee from the balcony.

I hope my parents don´t throw me out of their house becouse of finasteride, I´m finishing my college, and housing prices here are insane.

Britannia

Reaction score
I can tell you for a fact (and I very rarely say "for a fact") that finasteride and dutasteride will not cause excess unrination. You are correct in the fact that these drugs are used to treat people with difficulty urinating, but only if these people have an enlarged prostate that is restricting the urine flow. In a normal healthy person, the prostated plays no role in regulating the flow of urine, so shrinking the prostate will not increase urination. Even in patients with their protates removed, no increase in urination is seen (unless the reason for removal was a decrease in urination obvioulsy).

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go tell my mom

G

Well I'm on 3-4 months of dutasteride and I don't have this problem. I did feel wierd sensations from the prostate area but I haven't noticed in the last 2 weeks so it's going away. I felt the same thing on finasteride but the sensation increased with dutasteride use. It was nothing that concerned me though.

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
i have been on finasteride for over 5 years and have NEVER had any side effects, other than a hit to my libido. the excessive peeing (especially at nite) that i have experienced since starting dutasteride is definitely not just my imagination. could be from something else, i dont know.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've noticed i started urinating more since starting finasteride over two years ago, even worse when drinking alcohol, never mind when i drink alcohol and smoke weed. My g/f cannot believe it either, though she don't know about the finasteride. Definately does something, maybe not in all...

Britannia

Reaction score
Paradise Lost said:
I did feel wierd sensations from the prostate area.

This is called an orgasm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
trentender said:
Paradise Lost said:
I did feel wierd sensations from the prostate area.

This is called an orgasm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or it may just be the cruel wind that blows though all bald men.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
trentender said:
I can tell you for a fact (and I very rarely say "for a fact") that finasteride and dutasteride will not cause excess unrination.
This is incorrect information. Finasteride does in fact reduce the size of the prostate, even in a healthy individual with a normal prostate size. In fact it is is for this very reason that people on Proscar are advised to get a PSA test done prior to taking it, as the proscar can artificially reduce the PSA level by one or two points, thus rendering an inaccurate result. In a study published in the Journal of Urology. 162(4):1295-1300, October 1999 they demonstrated that finasteride 1mg decreased both the ejaculate volume, prostate size, and PSA test results in normal healthy men ages 19 to 41. Effects were reversed upon cessation of treatment for all men.

In a normal healthy person, the prostated plays no role in regulating the flow of urine
This is also inaccurate. The flow of urine goes directly through the prostate, and its size does directly affect the flow. In a normal healthy person, this can result in normal urinary flow turning into excessive urinary flow that causes "dribble" after urination. When I was on Propecia, I could have taken a picture to prove this, as I walked back to my cubicle from the bathroom almost daily looking like I had just pissed my pants. Quite discomforting for a 25 year old. The original poster described it as "Peeing a Lot" however, which has absolutely nothing to do with Propecia, but moreso due to his intake of fluids. I have found that other factors such as cessation of workout supplements containing Creatine have consistently resulted in a day of excessive urination. My theory being that creatine causes water retention, and stopping it results in a release of that fluid from the body. Propecia and Dutasteride do not, however cause volume of urine to increase. They only result in a better flow (which to a fairly dumb individual might be confused as "more fluid"). No offense.

shrinking the prostate will not increase urination.
It can, and in fact it does. Over the last 7 years running this site, and as per personal experience, decreased urinary control is a very common side effect of those who take Finasteride and Dutasteride. Prostatitis is also a fairly common occurance for those who do see side effects on Finasteride. This can result in discomfort and even a stabbing or shooting pain in the prostate region.

HairLossTalk.com

Britannia

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, you seem to have missed my point, or I maybe did not make my point clear. I agree finasteride will reduce the size of the prostate but if the prostate was not enlarged and blocking the passage of urine in the first place, the decrease in size of prostate should not affect urination. The prostate does not regulate the flow of urine in a normal healthy person at all. The prostate only starts affecting urine flow once it has become enlarged.
If you believe that finasteride is in fact increasing urination, I believe the problem could possibly lie with the bodies ability to excrete the drug.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, you seem to have missed my point
Nice sarcastic tone. You're right, Im a dummy. I didn't read or comprehend what you wrote.

trentender said:
I agree finasteride will reduce the size of the prostate but if the prostate was not enlarged and blocking the passage of urine in the first place, the decrease in size of prostate should not affect urination.
Addressed this, and the study showed otherwise. Did you actually read my response or just skim it? I addressed "normal healthy individuals" issue more than once, to address this very point.

The prostate does not regulate the flow of urine in a normal healthy person at all. The prostate only starts affecting urine flow once it has become enlarged.
Incorrect. The prostate regulates flow of urine in every human being. If there is no constriction, that flow is open to a "normal" extent. That constriction can be further reduced (see the cited study) and this can and does result in increased urinary flow. I would like to see some data showing that finasteride does not do this. I can show you hundreds of posts of guys who report decreased urinary control on finasteride, and my coworkers who laughed and pointed at my piss spots on my khaki pants at work can also verify it.

HairLossTalk.com

Britannia

Reaction score
I dont believe my facts are inaccurate, I stand by everything I wrote. Science is never black or white. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Just like we do on the "science" behind revivogen. I certainely do not think I know everything, I have asked for advice on this site many times. Although I have only been posting here for 3 weeks I have been studying pharmacology (especially pharmodynamics) and biomedical science for many years. And I have never "corrected" you, only offered my opinion on matters where you and I disagree.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
trentender said:
I dont believe my facts are inaccurate, I stand by everything I wrote.
Thats fine. You're still wrong. And you've expressed nothing but an opinion. So stand by your opinion. I have facts proving your opinion is incorrect. Deal with it and drop the attitude.

Science is never black or white.
Science is black and white when studies have been done to prove something. Science is only "gray" when there are no studies to point to.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
I dont agree to disagree with people who ignore the data, and declare an unscientific truth based upon opinion.

I certainely do not think I know everything, I have asked for advice on this site many times. Although I have only been posting here for 3 weeks I have been studying pharmacology (especially pharmodynamics) and biomedical science for many years.
That only proves that you have the same problem most doctors have. A medical related education that has resulted in an irrational arrogance and god complex where 90% of your facts are wrong, but you arrogantly proclaim them to be right to the educational demise of your patients. I have learned not to give a rats *** about someone's "education" level in medicine. Some of the dumbest people I've met are doctors with medical degrees. The simple fact is anyone can know more than a doctor on any given topic by spending an equal or greater amount of time simply studying that topic. The fact is most doctors don't spend as much time as most consumers studying any given topic.

Besides, your education credentials have absolutely nothing to do with hair loss, so please, stop bragging about them to people here. I've seen you do it in several discussions now and quite honestly, your education is irrelevant. Especially if you blatantly ignore studies and facts.

And I have never "corrected" you, only offered my opinion on matters where you and I disagree.
Feel free to correct me when I am wrong. I welcome it. But you better have more than your uneducated opinion when you do it. I listen to studies, data, and facts. Medicine is only "gray" when there are none to draw upon. Someone who ignores them and declares a conflicting belief, to me, is no different than a person who believes the world is still flat, and sneezes are the result of demonic posession.

That british flag is really gaining a reputation around here lately.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Just like we do on the "science" behind revivogen.
Aha. You just proved my point. The single most proven "unproven" product out there data-wise and you don't "agree" it has science backing it. Surprise. This time I am not going to ignore this issue. Im going to take (no offense) this idiotic comment head on. Tell me ONE OTHER unproven product out there that has greater or equal science backing it in the treatment of hair loss, other than Revivogen. Just one.

You have just elected yourself king of the people who think revivogen has no science backing it. I have to listen to these tards come to these forums and declare Revivogen "a waste of money" every day yet I have yet to hear a single one of them tell us all what we should be using instead.

And do me a favor - don't cop out and say "spironolactone" or "Fluridil". Don't cop out and say "Im not saying there are better ones, we just disagree on Revivogen". <-- non answers like this don't count. Also, don't use an opinion.

HairLossTalk.com

Britannia

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com your problem with me simply seems to be the fact that I am British. I have never taken any kind of attitude with you, or anyone on this forum, only given my honest opinions on subjects I have some knowledge of, but dont claim to be an expert in. It seems most people I have tried to help have been greatful.
To solve your little Anti-British complex you seem to have developed why dont you just set up seperate forums for British and Amercian people and you can have your website run the same way as South Africa was for many years, with the Blacks and Whites not mixing. How sad when British and American troops are dying alongside each other in Iraq. :(

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
trentender said:
HairLossTalk.com your problem with me simply seems to be the fact that I am British.
LOL ... man you really are weak. Are you kidding me with this? Im not surprised you bailed on this debate. How does it feel to be verbally backed into a corner and forced to change the topic? Let me know when you're ready to back your uneducated opinions up with some facts.

Decreased urinary control is a common complaint of finasteride use in young, healthy, individuals. I have 7 years of personal experience and my own wet spots to prove it. I highly doubt it is a coincidence that urinary flow increases when these people are using a drug intended to increase urinary flow. Duh?

HairLossTalk.com

Britannia

Reaction score
I simply do not believe DHT suppression through a topically applied DHT inhibitor could be effective. This is my opinion - I cannot prove it doesnt work anymore than you can prove it does work. You may argue it has worked for you and others and if so great, but Im not convinced. I can recall posting a reply in one thread about revivogen the fact that In my opinion it didnt work, but many here believe it does work. You choose topical DHT suppression, I dont.

Britannia

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
trentender said:
HairLossTalk.com your problem with me simply seems to be the fact that I am British.
LOL ... man you really are weak.

No just patriotic and observational.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
trentender said:
I simply do not believe DHT suppression through a topically applied DHT inhibitor could be effective.
Its not a "DHT Inhibitor"? Someone with all your medical education (which you remind us of repeatedly) should know the error of this phrasing. Can you tell me why its improper?

This is my opinion - I cannot prove it doesnt work anymore than you can prove it does work.
Your way of thinking is almost comical. I never called it a proven treatment. In fact I have called it an "unproven" treatment. This has nothing to do with proving it can or can't work. That wasn't the topic.

You said you don't believe the science backing its potential. I have multiple studies showing that when applied topically, it markedly reduced DHT levels in the local area. Can you tell me what study Im referring to? I am SURE your opinion was formed *after* reading the studies, right? Have you even read the studies? Did you even know there are conclusive studies showing that your opinion is wrong?

HairLossTalk.com