Prostate cancer

vdiddy

Reaction score
So if we're taking Propecia at a young age (26), theoretically it should decrease any chances of prostate cancer at age 40+, but is that the case? are there any studies about this?

I'm thinking maybe the body will build an immunity to it after so many years.

thanks.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the point where I traditionally step in and point out the example of the pseudohermaphrodites. I believe that if you start finasteride early enough, it will greatly reduce the chance of prostate cancer later in life. Maybe even eliminate it. There aren't any studies to PROVE it, of course, because finasteride was only invented something like 15-20 years ago.

Bryan

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
I read a study the other day that indicated finasteride users showed a 40% less chance of prostate cancer, but those who developed it seemed to be more aggressive and spread more rapidly.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
My doctor told me the same exact thing. It's somewhat of a catch-22. You have a far less chance of getting it, but if you do, it's more severe.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The key is when you start using it, in my opinion. The earlier you start taking it, the closer you get to the experience of the pseudohermaphrodites, who apparently never get prostate enlargement or cancer.

Bryan

G

hmmm, now I'm confused. :?

I thought Finasteride was to treat and prevent BPH. Not Prostate Cancer.

Are you not confusing prostate cancer with BPH?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
hmmm, now I'm confused. :?

I thought Finasteride was to treat and prevent BPH. Not Prostate Cancer.

Of course.

GoodGuy said:
Are you not confusing prostate cancer with BPH?

No. We're talking about a SIDE-EFFECT of using finasteride: its effect on prostate cancer.

Bryan

unluckystat

Reaction score
So if you are genetically inclined to develop prostate problems (not prostate cancer) would it be a good idea to take propecia?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think so. As early as possible.

hardcastle

Reaction score
doubleplay said:
I read a study the other day that indicated finasteride users showed a 40% less chance of prostate cancer, but those who developed it seemed to be more aggressive and spread more rapidly.

But that was for people who were on finasteride at an age where they were more likely to have prostate problems, right?

Say you take finasteride for ten years, and quit after something better comes along. A few years after quitting, I'd think your chances of prostate cancer - for better or worse - would be the same as they were before you started finasteride.

Maybe I'm wrong?