Proscar Dosage: Not Splitting?

RS

Reaction score
I've been taking proscar for around 3 weeks now after seeing my dermitoligist. I asked him about splitting proscar tablets into 5th's, 4ths etc, and was quiet suprised when he told me he takes one 5mg proscar tablet as a whole per week himself for his hairloss.

I was quiet suprised at this, and wondered "Could it still be as effective?" :shock:

He seemed quiet confident, but I'm still opting for my "split it into 4ths" method.

What are peoples thoughts on taking one 5mg tablet every 5-7 days?

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
It may be effective but less so than spreading it out. finasteride has a short 1/2 life. I forget the number but it is like 8 hours or something less than 1 day. For sake of argument say it is a day. That 5mg will be 2.5 after 1 day and 1.25 the next day and .625 the next and .3125 , .15625. But its less than that cause the half life is less than 1 day. Also the higher dosage might make you feel crappier.

Splitting it up is better because it gives less of a jolt to the system.

khan

Reaction score
High dosages will have higher risk of side effects. The only things I can think of in favour of his approach are simplicity and also that big warning on the box that the pills are not to be broken up. I don't think that really anything to worry about though.

G

khan said:
High dosages will have higher risk of side effects. The only things I can think of in favour of his approach are simplicity and also that big warning on the box that the pills are not to be broken up. I don't think that really anything to worry about though.

My box doesnt say that. Is that true??? :eek: Or are they just saying that so you'll buy the more expensive propecia?

khan

Reaction score
Mine says

'TABLETS TO BE SWALLOWED WHOLE> NOT TO BE BROKEN.

Consumer Product Information is available from your pharmacist or doctor.'