Proprcia long-term effects

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd love if for someone ( hemm bryn hemm) would help me out here:
1) Is it known as a fact that body responds to procecia by making more receptors and more 5ARD?
2) Is it's known if those parmeters change when finasteride is stopped?
3) IF the answer to 1 is YES, won't that mean DHT LEVELS will be eleveted even with finasteride ?
4) was Azelic proven to inhibit 5ARD-2 ? And will 20 precent of azelic on my head be harmful ? or maybe even better?

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HARM1 said:
1) Is it known as a fact that body responds to procecia by making more receptors and more 5ARD?
3) IF the answer to 1 is YES, won't that mean DHT LEVELS will be eleveted even with finasteride ?
4) was Azelic proven to inhibit 5ARD-2 ? And will 20 precent of azelic on my head be harmful ? or maybe even better?

Good question. Based on the success rate of propecia, the human body does not generally create new receptors, nor does it upregulate levels of DHT, except in unusual circumstances of reflex hyperandrogenicity. This is however very rare.

I don't rate Azelaic acid. I haven't heard of a single person who's had succcess with it (and I've been about for a while). I've heard it has a harsh - (skin peel) effect on the scalp, which i conjecture may help in increasing the speed of growth of hair, just as how stressing fingernails will cause greater growth; this will not affect the underlying mechanism of male pattern baldness, and you will in all likelihood still go bald.

CCS

Reaction score
i heard that some skin topicals use 20%, but that does not mean they won't cause redness, burning, or skin peels to some degree in some people.

i've already asked this question and was told that while it works in vitro, it does not work in vivo.

also, what makes you so sure the body would not get androgen sensitivity from the acid as well, if such a condition exists?

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
iamnaked said:
HARM1 said:

Good question. Based on the success rate of propecia, the human body does not generally create new receptors, nor does it upregulate levels of DHT, except in unusual circumstances of reflex hyperandrogenicity. This is however very rare.

I don't rate Azelaic acid. I haven't heard of a single person who's had succcess with it (and I've been about for a while). I've heard it has a harsh - (skin peel) effect on the scalp, which i conjecture may help in increasing the speed of growth of hair, just as how stressing fingernails will cause greater growth; this will not affect the underlying mechanism of male pattern baldness, and you will in all likelihood still go bald.
THX. anyway, im just afraid about what happens if you go off propecia, you have more receptors, that can cause more balding ane cancer. I read that this is a pissebilty, it was said by a doctor, and i am trying to talk to him. Anyway I think that the body will decrease receptors after a while.

docj077

Reaction score
HARM1 said:
iamnaked said:
HARM1 said:

THX. anyway, im just afraid about what happens if you go off propecia, you have more receptors, that can cause more balding ane cancer. I read that this is a pissebilty, it was said by a doctor, and i am trying to talk to him. Anyway I think that the body will decrease receptors after a while.

This won't calm your fears much, but this is the exact information that doctors use when they desire to seek drug information online. It's from first consult or mdconsult.com. Take this with a grain of salt.

Long-Term Data
There is no evidence of increased adverse experiences with increased duration of treatment with Proscar. New reports of drug-related sexual adverse experiences decreased with duration of therapy.

During the 4- to 6-year placebo- and comparator-controlled MTOPS study that enrolled 3047 men, there were 4 cases of breast cancer in men treated with finasteride but no cases in men not treated with finasteride. During the 4-year, placebo-controlled PLESS study that enrolled 3040 men, there were 2 cases of breast cancer in placebo-treated men, but no cases were reported in men treated with finasteride. The relationship between long-term use of finasteride and male breast neoplasia is currently unknown.

In a 7-year placebo-controlled trial that enrolled 18,882 healthy men, 9,060 had prostate needle biopsy data available for analysis. In the Proscar group, 280 (6.4%) men had prostate cancer with Gleason scores of 7-10 detected on needle biopsy versus 237 (5.1%) men in the placebo group. Of the total cases of prostate cancer diagnosed in this study, approximately 98% were classified as intracapsular (Stage T1 or T2). The clinical significance of these findings is unknown. This information from the literature (Thompson IM, Goodman PJ, Tangen CM, et al. The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2003;349:213-22) is provided for consideration by physicians when Proscar is used as indicated (see INDICATIONS AND USAGE). Proscar is not approved to reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.