Propecia vs Saw Palmetto Side Effects: Any Experiences?

GoodRun

Reaction score
Mostly wondering if anyone tried both propecia and saw palmetto separately, and noticed similar side effects. Also curious about dutasteride / avodart vs saw palmetto.

Hair is looking thinner, doesn't seem to be recovering. I was thinking to try propecia / proscar / finasteride , but while I was thinking it over, I tried saw palmetto extract to see what happened.

Most I took was 160 mg a day (320 mg is recommended). Didn't notice any problem the first day, so figured it was fine, but within 2-3 days libido disappeared. It was a unique feeling, no sex drive at all. I think I missed a dose about a week in, and then had above average libido for a day or two. Basically chronic boner.

Only experimented with it maybe 3 or 4 weeks, and tapered off by skipping days. I didn't really take it long enough to see if it resolved itself, because I wanted my system normal so I can get some hormone baselines before I try finasteride. Maybe I'll try saw palmetto again after tests and before finasteride, to see if it self resolves.

Will probably start finasteride at 0.25 mg since that's supposed to be pretty effective, and monitor any chronic side effects.

Thanks.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did SP for years with no real help I presume from it.
I took finasteride and had awful sides that still linger off and on. Everything is a crapshoot.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If you took one pill of proscar, then you took 5mg of finasteride, which is 5 times the dose recommended for the treatment of hair loss. I am sure you did feel weird afterward.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
If you took one pill of proscar, then you took 5mg of finasteride, which is 5 times the dose recommended for the treatment of hair loss. I am sure you did feel weird afterward.
Good point. In the FDA trials they did some single doses as high as 80 mg with no reported side effects though.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Aside from the depression, you are saying that you never achieved any noticeable benefits from SP (less shedding, etc.,)? Thanx.
I took SP for 6 months, no sides whatsoever that I could think of. Maybe a little increased depression but that's it. My junk worked fine. But I took only one pill of proscar which is probably like 1.25 mg Propecia and felt so weird that I immediately stopped. Prayed nothing bad would happen but then noticed a month later during sex I didn't have as much feeling, then masturbated a few times consecutively a few weeks later and that's when I felt just really strange: brain fog, rubbery penis, lack of libido. I was scared to death. Visited the propecia help forum, stopped drinking smoking and recreational weed smoking, working out even harder now and taking natural t boosters 3 weeks on 1 week off. I made this video here to help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3oTKY3T1DY

Jack A

Established Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I had no side effects off saw originally. Eventually I jumped to finasteride and I had a poor libido and also developed mild gyno which I still live with now.

And now I can't go back to saw without my libido/erections being affected, so I just leave it alone.