Propecia Testicular Pain - Will it go away?

Edward21

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have been lurking for a while.

I'll start by giving you a quick overview of my case.

I have been suffering from hair loss since I was 15/16 (when I first noticed my hairline was receding) but fortunately it has been very gradual (I'm now 21). However, recently it became more noticeable and as a result I decided to take action. I started on Nizoral 2% (3X a week) last week and propecia 1mg yesterday.

Within 4 hours of taking my first propecia tablet I started to experience a dull ache in my testicles/right thigh. This has lasted until the present (roughly 30 hours). While it's not particularly painful, it is quite unnerving. Essentially I'm interested to know whether anybody else has experienced this side effect and what they did about it? Did they discontinue or reduce the medication? Does it go away with time?

Many Thanks for your help!

Edward21

Reaction score
Thanks for finfighter/Fanjeera. I thought the same tbh, but then I can't think of any other explanation other than finasteride. The pain's manageable and consists of a dull ache that emanates from the lower abdomen/testicles/right thigh. It's difficult to pinpoint where it is and it feels similar to the growing pains I experienced as a child. Essentially I have four options: 1) continue under the assumption that it's transitory, 2) reduce my consumption to 0.5mg or 1mg ever other day, 3) temporarily discontinue the medication to see whether the symptoms clear and then restart 4) discontinue permanently. What would you advise? Btw, have you noticed a decline in your libido since starting finasteride?

Thanks for your help

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Yes, I believe everyone gets a permanently decreased libido from finasteride.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
You're joking right? You took the pill and 4 hours later your balls started to ache?

Edward21

Reaction score
Why would I make this up? I agree with your sentiment though, it doesn't seem to make sense. It could just be a coincidence and the pain is a the result of something else. Anyway, I plan to stop taking the medication for a few days to see if the pain disappears. Assuming it does I will restart the treatment next week. If it doesn't I will visit my GP.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I had nut pains for about three weeks, not all the time, just shooting pains every then and again. I didn't do anything about it aside from ride it out, but my pain was not constant.

dezertfox

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have been lurking for a while.

I'll start by giving you a quick overview of my case.

I have been suffering from hair loss since I was 15/16 (when I first noticed my hairline was receding) but fortunately it has been very gradual (I'm now 21). However, recently it became more noticeable and as a result I decided to take action. I started on Nizoral 2% (3X a week) last week and propecia 1mg yesterday.

Within 4 hours of taking my first propecia tablet I started to experience a dull ache in my testicles/right thigh. This has lasted until the present (roughly 30 hours). While it's not particularly painful, it is quite unnerving. Essentially I'm interested to know whether anybody else has experienced this side effect and what they did about it? Did they discontinue or reduce the medication? Does it go away with time?

Many Thanks for your help!

In the same boat, just curious as to if you continued taking finasteride and if the ache subsided later?