Propecia Non Responders

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If youre a propecia non responder (i think i am) whats the next step that you should take?

Would topical anti - androgens be a waist of time or might help?

Is Minoxidil the only hope? To grow hair untill DHT eventually thins out the rest of the hair?

Basically Am i totally screwed if Propecia doesnt start to kick in soon? or do i have other options if im one of the unlucky non responders??

member5959

Reaction score
How long have you been on propecia fallout boy? I think i might be a possible non responder... I've been on propecia for just over 5 months and have gone from a norwood 1 to about a norwood 2.5, have recently noticed a thinning crown and overall diffuse thinning. As far as the next step, i was thinking about adding copper peptides (and maybe saw palmetto?) in a couple weeks to the minoxodil that i've already been taking for 4 months. At what point do you know you are a non responder though? Do you really have to go through the whole 1 year recommended period?

j25

Established Member
Reaction score
I would stay on it at least till the one year mark. If your situation keeps on getting worse, i'd jump on dutasteride or - if you fear the sides of this strong DHt-blocker - add spironolactone or fluridil to your regime.
But be patient, my friends. I've been on propecia for ten months now and have gone (and am still going) through some serious doubts.
I have certainly lost more hair at the temples. Can't be certain, but the most critical area (crown/ vertex) recently seems to have stabilized. I consider that a small succes.

hardcastle

Reaction score
Do you feel like you're losing more hair because of the Propecia, or because the Propecia isn't stopping you from losing hair?

I've read posts in which people felt like they lost more hair BECAUSE of Propecia. I don't have any idea how true this is - I know sheds are all part of the process, but I'm just wondering about your experiences.

G

Whoa guys, Before jumping to any conclusions, I just started REALIZING that my hair is thickening up VERY slowly at about month 10 (finally). I say "realize", because it's hard to realize you have had good results when it takes so f*****g long.

My point is that if you don't get over any anxiety, you may not notice the minute changes in your hair density that will boost your spirits and keep you fighting hard.

Peace

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If after a year your not responding to propecia (by not responding I mean not maintaining, regrowth is just a bonus) then I strongly suggest trying dutasteride.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im not so sure i want to be messing with dutasteride at the age of 19. Im 8.5 months on finasteride for whoever asked. Im seriously thinking about adding a topical Anti Androgen but S. Foote seems to think its not worth it? i dont want any heavy sides from systematic absorption from Fluridil....but Eucapil seems to say it has a safety feature??

AndrewU

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would stay on it at least till the one year mark. If your situation keeps on getting worse, i'd jump on dutasteride or - if you fear the sides of this strong DHt-blocker - add spironolactone or fluridil to your regime.
But be patient, my friends. I've been on propecia for ten months now and have gone (and am still going) through some serious doubts.
I have certainly lost more hair at the temples. Can't be certain, but the most critical area (crown/ vertex) recently seems to have stabilized. I consider that a small succes.
What happened after 10 months my dude?

Hussam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People seem to have been fighting baldness on this forum for a long time but was there at that time like 14 years ago a topical antiandrogens??

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
im switching to topical finasteride. Propecia didnt stop my hair fall and in already 9 months in. My hair is worse now than when I started.

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on finasteride for 1.5 year (+minoxidil+ketoconazole ) and went from NW2 to NW3 or more. I guess i have very agressive hairloss, so about 2weeks ago i decided to give a last shot and started taking dutasteride as i heard its more powerful and potent than finasteride.
Hope for the best.

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
21 months in and I’m starting to reap the benefits: terminal hairs regrowing along my hairline. If you didn’t realise patience was necessary you didn’t research your treatments properly. Hair cycles are long.

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 10 months for me and I've gone from a Norwood 2.5 to nearly a Norwood 4. I think I'm a non responder. Shedding non stop and then it doesn't come back...

XSuburbiaX

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got big sides with finasteride so I was responder. But I never figure out if it helped me or not. (Minoxidil + microneedling help for sure)

Have the feeling there are different type of hairloss and scalp health/inflammation play a big role for some people.

You can try zix with minoxidil and microneedling.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
21 months in and I’m starting to reap the benefits: terminal hairs regrowing along my hairline. If you didn’t realise patience was necessary you didn’t research your treatments properly. Hair cycles are long.
Hey, you’re probably 37 months in now. Did it really take you 21 months to start seeing progress? If so, how would you describe the first 15 months?

Last edited:

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been taking finasteride for a year and havent seen any progress, next is dutasteride or minoxidil or both basically