Propecia every other day ... has it worked for you?

hare

Reaction score
Responses preferred from those who've tried 1mg finasteride every other day for at least a few months, or have witnessed someone who did and/or are knowledgable about the subject.

1) For how long have you taken this dosage?

2) Any difference in hair compared to 1mg/day?

3) Any lessening of sides?

Mr Mayhem

Reaction score
In theory it should work fine , but I really don't see the point. You won't dodge any sides by doing this

- - - Updated - - -

If you are prone to them that is

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Didnt work for me

Took it for 6 months
hair got worse. was a nice nw1 when I started with some thinning. The thinning got way worse and now my crown is thinning. On dutasteride for 3 months atm
no sides at all

Dikek

Established Member
Reaction score
I read about people who take 0.5 daily, even 0.25 and even 0.05 fina can be clinical effective, i don't know why so many people take a full 1mg /day if what it matter is dht level, can someone explain me this?
And the sides seems to be much lower, it's doesn't make any sense to me take 1mg, i soon will start treatment and i will take 1/2 or 1/4 daily of Propecia, usually i'm sensitive to medications

i found this old article http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=477940#qundefined, to me still make sense to lower dose

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Responses preferred from those who've tried 1mg finasteride every other day for at least a few months, or have witnessed someone who did and/or are knowledgable about the subject.

1) For how long have you taken this dosage?

2) Any difference in hair compared to 1mg/day?

3) Any lessening of sides?

Taking finasteride every day is slightly better than every other day, but the difference in effectiveness is very small. It is still best to take it every day though. Lowering the dose to reduce side-effects is pointless, because finasteride has an almost flat dose-response curve.

I read about people who take 0.5 daily, even 0.25 and even 0.05 fina can be clinical effective, i don't know why so many people take a full 1mg /day if what it matter is dht level, can someone explain me this?
The reason why Merck set the standard dose at 1mg was to account for all outliers. Most people don't need a dose anywhere near as high as 1mg to bring their DHT levels down to the required level, but a small minority do need a dose this high. 1mg was therefore chosen as the standard dose, to account for those who are not sensitive to lower doses. As I mentioned above, finasteride has an almost flat dose-response curve for all dosages above the threshold dose that is the lowest possible effective dose. However, this lowest possible effective dose is different for each person.

Lucas92

Reaction score
I cut 5mg tablets into six pieces (appoximately .8mg per tablet) and take every second day. I've noticed reduced sides in the form of reduced hot flashes, which I suffered constantly when taking every day (yep, menopausal symptoms eeach day, every day). However, this could also mean the tablets aren't working as effectively at attacking hair loss as they could, but since my hair loss has stabilised it seems over the past half-year, and I'm not getting hot flashes as bad (it was unbearable otherwise), I'm okay with that.

Virginityrocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I was originally on EOD but decided to go to daily because it was too much work having to remember which day I was suppose to take the drug? Did I take it yesterday? No... Wait I took it thursday last week, so that means... I was suppose to take it yesterday, so I must have... So no. Not today...

**** that. I just take it every day at 7pm now.

jacobi33

Reaction score
Well, my story is this: I started on 1mg ED, and I did that for about two months. At that I point I suddenly got very ill with an (I think) unrelated case of chronic gastritis. I was also having some pretty depressing sides like occasional ED, very soft erections, and very watery sperm.

I decided to cut down to .5mg ED and see if that helped. I felt like it was fine, side effects-wise, for a few months, but then my gastritis flared up again, and I simply didn't want to do anything more to exacerbate it. So finally I settled on .5mg EOD.

The good: My sides are gone. I get an occasional ball ache, but my erections are fine and my sperm looks passably normal again.

The bad: Obviously, this raises my suspicion that it's not working anymore. More than that, my hair is noticeably worse than it was eight months ago when I began propecia. I was a Norwood 3 when I started, with thinning on the top, and I may be a Norwood 3.5 now with a much thinner top. I can't even cover it up anymore when I get a bad haircut. Very depressing.

I really don't know if it's working or not, long story short. It's done wonders for the side effects. Otherwise, my sense is that it's not really doing much. I've heard others say 8 months isn't long enough to see results, so of course I'll stick it out (nothing to lose).

Oh, and one more thing - Whenever I heard people talk about "sheds" I got the image of clumps of hair falling out in the shower, on the pillow, etc. Evidently this is what happens with a lot of people. What's odd in my experience is that I never notice any shedding hair - granted, I don't fiddle with my hair too much, but in the shower there's never clumps, and not on the pillow either. I simply notice my hair is thinner; considerably thinner.

This is more of a question, in addition to OPs: Do people in fact "shed" sometimes without noticing with "clumps of hair" that they are shedding? Maybe, just maybe, my hair looks so bad now because I'm going through a shed... That would be better than the alternative: .5mg isn't working.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was originally on EOD but decided to go to daily because it was too much work having to remember which day I was suppose to take the drug? Did I take it yesterday? No... Wait I took it thursday last week, so that means... I was suppose to take it yesterday, so I must have... So no. Not today...

**** that. I just take it every day at 7pm now.

Haha I do the same. 1 mg EOD, it's not like I forgot a dose but it was just tiny effort to remember is it on/off day. Now on 0.6 mg daily just for convenience sake. Can't imagine it's much better dht wise, maybe slightly.

hare

Reaction score
been doing 1mg eod over a month now

havent noticed significant changes hair-wise or tit-wise

at least it saves money. i'll keep u guys updated

oh and to the forgetful ... if u have a calendar, use that to keep track ;)

McGlynn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not really seeing any hair in my hands after I start taking propecia every other day.
I am going to try Propecia every other day and see if that changes.
I also only use rogaine once a day at night.
propeod.png

Last edited: