Propecia and Impotence

flip

Reaction score
Hi people,

I bought a months worth of propecia yesterday and have had 2 tablets so far. One yesterday and one today. Appears I have side effects already. Libido has dropped and its hard to get an errection. I didnt realise how quickly these side effects can set in. Im getting of these things and hopefully it gets me back to normal. Anyone else has the side effects kick in so quickly?

also, how long do you think it will take for the side effects to go away?

Flip

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Get in to more detail on whats different now and before taking propecia. Because it take a couple of weeks to tell if it's hard to get a boner. If this problem goes on more then month or 2 then go to the doctor about it. Could lower the doses of the drug which it works for some people. If you want to stay on it with 1MG then other time the problem will go away.

flip

Reaction score
ok more detail... well this morning after a crank, (it was harder to get up), and the ejaculation was weak, very weak. then since then Its been hard to get an erection.. ill manage to get one but then it will go away. This isnt good cause I was supposed to be staying at a girls house tonight and now I had to call up and say I cant come cause I dont want to get in the situation where I cant get it up.

I am on antibiotics so I wonder if that had any effect

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
flip, next time go to your girlfriends house and have sex and see if it happens there. It could be all in your mind.

Lanza

Reaction score
flip said:
ok more detail... well this morning after a crank, (it was harder to get up), and the ejaculation was weak, very weak. then since then Its been hard to get an erection.. ill manage to get one but then it will go away. This isnt good cause I was supposed to be staying at a girls house tonight and now I had to call up and say I cant come cause I dont want to get in the situation where I cant get it up.

I am on antibiotics so I wonder if that had any effect

Its all scary isnt it. Poor thing. So many of us are in this crap situation.

flip

Reaction score
after about 2 days my sex drive has come back quite a bit and I can get an erection again. I still dont think I am 100% but I should be in another day or so. I was so scared, so many thoughts ran through my head, I think being impotent is alot worse than losing hair. I need to think about what I am going to do with the rest of my prescription. whether I try again, or not.

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
flip said:
after about 2 days my sex drive has come back quite a bit and I can get an erection again. I still dont think I am 100% but I should be in another day or so. I was so scared, so many thoughts ran through my head, I think being impotent is alot worse than losing hair. I need to think about what I am going to do with the rest of my prescription. whether I try again, or not.

My guess is that "I was so scared, so many thoughts ran through my head" is a major reason. I don't think Finasteride will have affected your whole system so gravely after only two days.

But of course, someone with wider knowledge of the subject than I have may want to add something to this.

G

Has anybody else not had sexual side effects until later on in treatment? I'm a year into my finasteride treatment, and i'm having soft eretions and really bad performance too. Has dropping the dosage of finasteride helped anyone personally? I'm having very good results with finasteride and it would hate to have to drop it because of side effects but in all seriousness soft erections is worse than hairloss.

wino

Reaction score
Dropping to 0.5 mg made a world of difference for me. Try it out, guys.

For the OP, it's probably in your head.

Axon

Reaction score
2 doses will not affect you in the fashion described. It's probably all in your head.

But if you are uncomfortable with the drug, discontinue use.

G

I'm really happy with my results with finasteride, but its just that recently this sexual side effect issue has been affecting me. Within the first year of treatment i had no sexual side effects to note of... i was having a pretty damn good sex life. I really do think it might be in my head. I think i'll my dose to 0.5mg and just try to ride this out. Thanks.

krubban

Reaction score
i was on finasteride for close to 3 months and my libido was a rollercoaster. The first 2 weeks i was hornier then ever, then it was set to normal for a while before i started noticing a definite decrease in libido. softer erections, harder to maintain an erection. I kind of forced myself to be horny because i knew that i should be if everything was normal :p
I also started getting migraine which I have never had a problem with before, is this common among "bad finasteride responders"?
Anyways, those two factors made me quit taking finasteride. Now i'm thinking about starting minoxidil but that seems to be a pain in the *** having to apply stuff in your hair twice a day...

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
Flip, totally know what ur talking about.....after about 3 days for me, i felt totally spaced out and total dip in libedo. For people who think its in the mind, its just because the drug didnt effect you in that way.

flip

Reaction score
exactly dimebolt, I felt spaced out aswell. almost like I was losing my emotions. felt like a zombie. It definately wasnt in my head. I also had no urge to work out, just sleep. anyway I am back to normal now but yeah, I must be a bad responder to that drug.

In saying that though, I would like to know what the drug effects that causes the libido drop/impotence does it effect your prostate? cause prostate conditions can cause similar effects. If we can find out the exact thing thats effected maybe we can take something else to combat the side effect until they go away.

just a thought.

also, I cannot believe that less than 2 percent of people experience the sexual problems when on this drug. There seem to be quite alot of people on this forum that are having these effects whether it be within the first week or within the first year.

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
yeah flip, 2% my ***, but the general response fromt his forum is that the people who have problems will b**ch about it on this forum, and everyone else doesnt say anything, so it "appears" that everyone on this forum has side effects. Merck is a fruad imo, but life goes on and ultimately, money rules this deteriorating society and economy. Woops, let my emotions get out a little, lol. Anyways flip, *** is way more important than hair at this point in my life, im 23 and love pounding!

flip

Reaction score
yep, it sure is. Its funny how people are saying keep on it for a year and see if the symptoms go away. Seriously, I dont reckon my girlfriend could go more than 2 weeks without sex.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Impotence from Propecia? Oh man! I have enough of a problem now as I'm on 150mg a day of Effexor for my anxiety. The Effexor has knocked down my libido like you wouldn't believe! Now of course, not everyone that is on Preopecia (finasteride)will experience what you're talking about but man oh man! I'm just now figuring out a way to overcome the dastardly effects of the Effexor! I was seriously thinking about augmenting my treatment program with finasteride but eeesh! now...I dunno.

Greg

flip

Reaction score
just an update. Its been almost a month since I tried propecia. Things have gotten better however I am still not 100%. I still find that its more difficult to gain and keep an erection. I need my girlfriend to give me head for a while to get a complete hard on. Its like I am not producing semen as well because I definately ejaculate less. I hope that I return to normal in the next couple of weeks or so. I might try getting that mega men stuff and see if that helps.

BTW This was all from just 2 propecia tablets. I dont care what you guys say, Its not in my head, this stuff can have some bad side effects. my dick lost all feeling on the second day of using propecia. I stopped right away. The only plus I guess, is I can last alot longer during sex because of the reduced sensitivity.

Anyway, I dont think I will try this stuff again. I am only letting you guys know so that you be careful. obviously some people dont get the same side effects but I cant believe how sudden I got them and I just hope its not permanent and doesnt effect my chance of ever having kids. I am only 23.

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah my story is similar to yours. Right when I got on finasteride I was like damn, no sex drive, no boner firmness either. It's stabalized alot since then (it's been over a month) but I still have days (like today) when I have absolutly no desire for sex. If I had a bangin' girl in here right now rubbing my leg i'd probably fart and tell her to get the hell out of my room. I digress... i'm gona stick with it an hope it normalizes even more (because some days my sex drive seems to be perfectly normal). It's really quite strange how it varys day to day (at least for me) and it's not "all in my head" nor is it in yours I imagine. But thanks for the update; good luck.