Problem with lace front attachment

LivinwithaHairPiece

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a woman with a bonded hair piece that includes a lace front. I got it for the first time a little over 2 weeks ago from a private salon. I have two issues I was hoping someone could help me with:

- I can't get the lace front to stay down. I have Sigma Bond adhesive, and it sticks to everything but my scalp. The applicator is also pretty large and its difficult to get the glue on the piece or my scalp without getting it all over the small bit of my own hair that I still have in front. Any ideas for how better to get the adhesive to work?

- How do I get the adhesive out of my own hair? I have a few pieces of my own hair that are really caked with glue right now, and it looks fake if you really look close up.

I'm due to go back in for a rebonding in a little less than two weeks. I'm wondering if I need to ask about different attachment methods, but I want to my scalp to be able to breath, so I'm hesitant to use the tape in front and totally seal it down. It seems like the adhesive glue lets it breath better, but I can't get the glue to work.

thanks,

Kelly

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
1. Some people's personal "chemistry" just doesn't work with certain adhesives. Maybe you could try different glues? Also, it sounds like you may be applying a good bit of glue (applying it to the base, getting it in your natural hair, etc), you should strive to apply thin, thin layers. Make sure you use enough, but keep it light. Be sure that you're letting it dry until tacky (but not dry too long, check the bottle for instructions).

2. If you're only doing a little "clean-up" while keeping your piece attached, then you can use a q-tip dipped in 99% alcohol to clean the hair and soften the caked-on glue (which can be CAREFULLY combed out). If you're removing the piece and doing a full clean-up then you can use a glue solvent such as PURE or Desolvit (I wouldn't do these with the piece on your head, as the residue could get on the lace, preventing adhesion or even break your bond on the back and sides).

Are you only removing and reattaching at the front (with the sides and back being done only by your stylist)? If so, then you may want to check into a video made by Michigan Baldy (a poster on here) that tells you how to do your own cleaning and attachment. Even if you're only reattaching the front on your own, you can learn "proper" ways to do it (and you'd have the know how to do a full attachment, if there is ever a time that you can't make it to the salon and are in a bind).

Good luck. I hope you can get this figured out. It took me several weeks of experimentation to figure out the whole glue issue.

~Evan

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
Lace Tape is the way to go

I have the same problem as you, its hard to keep the lace down, but I chose t stick with the tape because the glue was a headache.. Hair systems have their pluses and minus and when its real hot and humid out (or if youre really oily like me) its not going to stay down perfectly (which I know all about, being oily and living in Florida).Lace tape is SO much easier to use, although probably not the best for a longer bond (maybe 2-3 days in the summer maximum) I use lace tape and just wear my hair down in the front so if my piece is lifting alittle it doesnt show..and I use only a small amount of tape...the reason I recommend tape is because its easier to clean up and if you use only a little of it your clean up time is that much more easier and faster ( for example I dont need to use solvent or clarifying shampoo just alcohol to lift the piece) Secondly, the less adhesive you use and the easier the adhesive is to remove, the less aggressive youll need to be with changing it or cleaning up..and for those of us who wear hair, we all know that cleaning up the glue has its wear and tear on the base and the hair. Im wearing a lace system now for almost 5 months and the base is practically intact because Im gentle during the cleaning process..trust me you want your hair to last as long as you can, so choose an adhesive wisely. Bare in mind that cleaning your adhesive after a while has considerable wear and tear on the piece.