Probably The First Event In Common Alopecia (androgenetic Alopecia)

Dat5Years

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right and Accutane greatly reduces sebum and DHT so why is not an effective hairlosss solution?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
The key is not the amount but composition of sebum
Regarding accutane diminish it greatly, but in persons with common alopecia, normally, agravate it, because sebum is vital for a healthy hair growth. It s a typical Doctor mistake with people with hardened sebum in scalp, when advise accutane.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right and Accutane greatly reduces sebum and DHT so why is not an effective hairlosss solution?
Who say don't ? It do wonder for hair loss. Problem, is that at High dose, it cause hair loss. So , dumb doctor used to give extremly high dose , then cause hair loss, then the bad reputation. At 10 to 20mg ( was my regimen for several years back in lates 90s ) do wonder for Androgenetic Alopecia . But , it also reduce androsteindione. And the combination of isotretinoin plut topical minoxidil, is amazing.
Anyway , I don't recomend oral anti 5-reductase and accutane is one.

Why Accutane is so """"dangerous """" for most dermatologist and Finasteride is safer than water, is one of the big mysteries in life. Or, Merk did a wonderfull propaganda back in 1997. Most of the side effects of Accutane, for example depression, are caused by the exactly same mechanism than Finasteride.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
The key is not the amount but composition of sebum
Regarding accutane diminish it greatly, but in persons with common alopecia, normally, agravate it, because sebum is vital for a healthy hair growth. It s a typical Doctor mistake with people with hardened sebum in scalp, when advise accutane.
Totally disagree. Over production of sebum is not a good thing for the follicle. Accutane don't kill the sebaceous gland, and it recude DHT and androstendione.
Accutane will not cause hairloss at a normal dose. You need really high dose to cause it and a very stupid dermatology to use that old protocol . And smart protocol is 10 to 20mg for longer period of time.

Dat5Years

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m on 20mg a day at the moment and my hair and skin have never felt better. I don’t get greasy hair, my hair feels great and my skin is amazing. I’m not coming off this anytime soon. Zero itch as well. Like none. Wish I had gone on it earlier

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this were the cause, why would reducing DHT help? Also, if it were something as banal as a mechanical obstruction of the hair canal, surely that would have been observed ages ago.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Dimitri, this is the first event, common alopecia is a multifactorial process, later problem with inflammation, fibrosis, etc.then other meds could be advised.
And yes. It was observed decades ago, an example was Saboreaud, french scientist, he was near but he did not explained the pattern of it,. and, really this is banal, can you imagine it?

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And where is there any indication that human balding scalp somehow underexpresses ceramide synthase leading to hair loss?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is easy explain it acording to my theory,
Hair cycle needs the mobilization of cells around bulge and dermal papila, the thickness of the new hair is very related to the number of cells recruited, then if the hair canal is blocked there is less cells and the new hair will be finest.
My idea goes beyond this work, because most likely the sebum not only travels towards the outside but towards the innermost part of the pilosebaceous follicle, and at the end it forms part of the hair shaft. This is not yet described in the scientific literature, but it would explain many things.
Best regards my friend.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
And where is there any indication that human balding scalp somehow underexpresses ceramide synthase leading to hair loss?

Experiments with humans have high risk, in the paper:
"Among these, only the CerS3-deficient mice show a
skin-specific phenotype [15], although CerS2 and CerS6 are
also expressed in skin. CerS3-deficient mice die shortly after
birth due to a defect in the transepidermal water barrier."

Last edited:

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, it seems Accutane kickstarted my hair loss 6 years ago. Many male users are complaining about this (quick Google research).

I have doubts this is a mere coincidence. In my case, there is no balding history in my family (not on mother's, nor father's side) / my older brother has a full head of hair / I have a super healthy diet with supplements.

Don't want to rain on the parade though.

EDIT: I did two accutane regimens in the course of 6 years, as my acne came back after 2 years. The second regimen, when my hair loss started, was low dose.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone says accutane kick started their loss but... You get acne during and after puberty. Your hair loss begins during and after puberty. They're similar hormonal conditions for anyone predisposed. It was going to happen either way, correlation =/= causation.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Experiments with humans have high risk, in the paper:
"Among these, only the CerS3-deficient mice show a
skin-specific phenotype [15], although CerS2 and CerS6 are
also expressed in skin. CerS3-deficient mice die shortly after
birth due to a defect in the transepidermal water barrier."

That's not what I asked. It's not hard to take a scalp biopsy from a balding person and test for ceramide synthase.

It is easy explain it acording to my theory,
Hair cycle needs the mobilization of cells around bulge and dermal papila, the thickness of the new hair is very related to the number of cells recruited, then if the hair canal is blocked there is less cells and the new hair will be finest.
My idea goes beyond this work, because most likely the sebum not only travels towards the outside but towards the innermost part of the pilosebaceous follicle, and at the end it forms part of the hair shaft. This is not yet described in the scientific literature, but it would explain many things.
Best regards my friend.

I don't think you realise the volumes of sh*t you're talking right now

Dat5Years

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, it seems Accutane kickstarted my hair loss 6 years ago. Many male users are complaining about this (quick Google research).

I have doubts this is a mere coincidence. In my case, there is no balding history in my family (not on mother's, nor father's side) / my older brother has a full head of hair / I have a super healthy diet with supplements.

Don't want to rain on the parade though.

EDIT: I did two accutane regimens in the course of 6 years, as my acne came back after 2 years. The second regimen, when my hair loss started, was low dose.

for sure not doubting your experience at all, I don't see any concrete research on it and male pattern baldness. It can cause thinning hair at high dosages, I can say my hair feels great at the minute and its wiped out folliculitis. This is completely pie in the sky from me but I feel like my hair declined a bit when i first got folliculitis, I got greasier skin, my hair was always greasy, being on this like it was before I got any folliculitis and honestly folliculitis completely destroyed my life so I was happy to take the risk

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There 2 types of vitamin A receptor. RAR and RXR(both types got alpha,beta, gamma subtype). Stimulating RAR can cause hair loss while RXR can stimulate hair growth. Accutane is isotretinoin which selectivly bind to the RAR receptor. Tretinoin on the other hand stimulate both RAR and RXR so it can stimulate hair growth or have no effect.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There 2 types of vitamin A receptor. RAR and RXR(both types got alpha,beta, gamma subtype). Stimulating RAR can cause hair loss while RXR can stimulate hair growth. Accutane is isotretinoin which selectivly bind to the RAR receptor. Tretinoin on the other hand stimulate both RAR and RXR so it can stimulate hair growth or have no effect.

Isotretinoin isn't selective at all it has little to no ability to bind with either the RAR or RXR, but it's metabolites are agonists of both receptors.