Pill cutters...splitting finasteride pills

TM

Reaction score
Just wondering how Proscar users accurately split their pills? What type of pill splitter do you have as I'm of the belief that I've bought a crap cutter which isn't doing the trick. I've read of people splitting their pills into eighths, something I'd like to do but just not mastering. The pills are too small and not equal all the way around. Propecia pills are easier to cut accurately.

G

cut2kn.jpg

Its still next to impossible to do with a pill cutter. You can use an Xacto-knife and it makes it easier, but its still a pain in the ***. I dont think you could accurately cut it into eighths.

Redbone

Reaction score
I cut mine in fourths, first in half with a pill cutter than in fourths with a single edged razor blade. Gives me 1.25mg a day which is no prob for me, but if you want you can take it for four days and take the fifth off, repeating this cycle. This will add up to 1mg a day.

TM

Reaction score
i don't want to have to take a higher dose than I need, i.e. 1mg a day. I don't think skipping a days is such a good move either as I had been doing this with Propecia (due to laziness) and its side effects were more evident.

As you can tell by the picture above, Merck have shaped the pill to make it difficult to accurately get equal quarters anyway. They've realised that sales of Proscar have gone through the roof over the last few years and the reason for it! In saying that, I'm not sure how they were shped originally.

I might try to find a better cutter, or perhaps just try and split Propecia pills instead.

Another thing, how about the difference in packaging of the two products? It is much easier to travel with the Proscar as they come in two smaller 15-tab strips in contrast to Propecia's larger 4 x 7 strip format. The Propecia takes up a heap of room in the toiletry bag. Why don't Merck just put them on two strips like the Proscar? Such a freakin pain.

shitimbald

Reaction score
TM said:
i don't want to have to take a higher dose than I need, i.e. 1mg a day. I don't think skipping a days is such a good move either as I had been doing this with Propecia (due to laziness) and its side effects were more evident.

But Propecia is 1 mg., not 1.25 so if you're skipping a day you're actually taking less then you're supposed to. However I don't see how that would give you worse sides effects.

What I've heard on another forum is that because finasteride stays a while in your system (few days), it should make no difference if you take 4 1/4 proscar on 5 days. What I was planning to do personally was to skip 1 day a week. That way it would bring me closer to the 5mg. every 5 days that you're supposed to take, as opposed to 6.25 mg. every 5 days that you'd get by taking 1/4 proscar every day. I still haven't decided. I have until I receive my proscar to make up my mind. :)

G

I just cut my proscar up into 4 sections, and take one everyday, 7 days a week. They dont cut up perfectly, so I try to rotate a bigger piece one day, then a smaller piece, then bigger etc. I havent had any sides, but Ive only been on it about 3 weeks. Anyone else do this, or do most people skip the 5th day everytime?

Idaho X

Reaction score
I think that the natural variances in portion size are beneficial. I've heard arguments that many medications lose their effectiveness over time as the body gets used to them. Varying the dosage can offset this effect.

I cut proscar into quarters and take a piece every morning. If I miss a day every now and then I don't worry about it.