peppermint oil wow!

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
I had no idea that a natural oil could work so well. I apply it to my beard and get the same results as with flutamide when it comes to thinning my beard and slowing hair growth. AMAZING. I hope I won't get systemic effects like I did with flutamide. BUt wow I am impressed.

Rework24

Established Member
Reaction score
where did you get your peppermint oil from? How easy it is to apply?

I had great results from flut and i am trying to recapture with spironolactone. but if peppermint is working i will add it

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, but does it reduce hair growth because it is anti-androgenic or because it is an epilatory?, until you know one way or the other I would not risk applying any to the scalp. This is one of the big flaws of testing substances on your beard or body hair.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Newbaldy84 said:
I had no idea that a natural oil could work so well. I apply it to my beard and get the same results as with flutamide when it comes to thinning my beard and slowing hair growth. AMAZING. I hope I won't get systemic effects like I did with flutamide. BUt wow I am impressed.

a while ago when M. Barry posted his peppermint oil experiment, I started using lots of it.... in a mix with other oils as a leave on topical for a couple hours a day... mixed with shampoos etc... and to my best appreciation it reduced the ammount of hair id see fall per day..... plus I loved the tingling feeling and clean smell of it....

but..... as soon as the epilatory issues of it came out...I stoped using it... too bad. I would really like some proof its safe for hair.

cuebald

Reaction score
yeah, I think this is a similar problem encountered by people who used topical Licorice - it is said to be a relatively potent anti-androgen (at least, the glycyrrhizinic acid component of it), but it was shown in rats to remove a large amount of hair from their necks - it seems to be an epilatory. Only way to know for sure would be to try it on a small patch of head hair, but I don't think anyone in here is going to do that - certainly not me.
I am trialling it out on my left leg just to see what will happen - thinking of getting some peppermint oil myself, for the beard.

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
why why oh whyyyyyyyyy there always has to be some doubt. So far it works just like extra strong antiandrogen on my beard but you are correct. It might be epilatory effect. should I rist it? There is no other way to test it but on my head correct? body hair will go the same direction whether it's antiandrogen or epilator so It has to be head hair. Ok who's up for it? C mon guys what's a life without taking risk!:)

I agree with the poster that the cooling feeling of oil is great!:)

Reactions: Oro

Rework24

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm up for trying it.
Tell me where to order and cost and I will give it a 6 month trial!

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
There's probably about 480 peppermint shampoos currently on the market. I'd like to think that if it had an epilitory effect, we'd have heard about it by now.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Rework24 said:
I'm up for trying it.

I believe I got the exact brand type M.Barry used to experiment.

"NOW peppermint essential oil"... (there is a big bottle for like 9 bucks I think.)

I got it at luckyvitamin.com.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been adding peppermint oil to my shampoo for months now and adding it to my scalp massage oil. I even use my M*a*g G*r*o roller to really work the oil in, and have had no epilatory effects.

I have also recently added lavender oil to the mixture. Be warned, as wonderful as lavender smells its purest essential oil form STINKS!!!

I get my oils really cheap at GNC, about $6 for a 1 ounce bottle.

CCS

Reaction score
Newbaldy84 said:

Glad to know it can stop body hair growth. We assume its actions are purely anti-androgenic. If so, it would mean it would greatly grow head hair. But what if it inhibits body hair growth by more than just anti-androgenic means? Please apply it to one side of your head, like one temple, and tell us how it goes.

CCS

Reaction score
patagonia said:
Newbaldy84 said:

a while ago when M. Barry posted his peppermint oil experiment, I started using lots of it.... in a mix with other oils as a leave on topical for a couple hours a day... mixed with shampoos etc... and to my best appreciation it reduced the ammount of hair id see fall per day..... plus I loved the tingling feeling and clean smell of it....

but..... as soon as the epilatory issues of it came out...I stoped using it... too bad. I would really like some proof its safe for hair.

I made a bottle of peppermint essential oil shampoo and left it in my hair 5 minutes per day for about 2 months. Only reason I stopped was because I made it too strong and it made my skin a bit red. Then I read what Micheal Barry worried about, and did not use it again. We might all just be worrying. There is little way to know. I hope NewBaldy84 does a small scalp test spot on one side of his head and reports back.

CCS

Reaction score
Rework24 said:
I'm up for trying it.

it is cheap. get it at any natural store or online herbal place, even some vitamin places have it. peppermint essential oil. Add 4 drops to a 60mL bottle of something else. I just know 1/2 mL (about 16 drops) in a 180 mL shampoo bottle was very strong. It takes a few dails to fully dissolve in shampoo.

You'll pay $10 for 4 ounces. That is 120mL, enough to make 30 months of mixture. Test it on a small area on one side that is easy to find and compare to the other side.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe peppermint is cytotoxic. Although it lowers DHT it will still be bad for hair.

And why would you apply it to your beard? Don't you want to look like a man?

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't base my opinion on believes. You will miss a lot in life If you will keep that state of mind. I based it on the facts and what I see. The same exact effect I got from flutamide on my beard. As for your second concern about my sexuality ....my beard is very thick and antiandrogens make it easier to shave and reduce 5 o'clock shadow so you look clean shaven. The hair is still growing.
I started today using it on my head will keep you guys updated.

Reaction score
Newbaldy84 said:
I don't base my opinion on believes. You will miss a lot in life If you will keep that state of mind. I based it on the facts and what I see. The same exact effect I got from flutamide on my beard. As for your second concern about my sexuality ....my beard is very thick and antiandrogens make it easier to shave and reduce 5 o'clock shadow so you look clean shaven. The hair is still growing.
I started today using it on my head will keep you guys updated.

Good luck man. From everything I've read, peppermint oil sounds like a reasonable addition. It's in a TON of shampoos and hair care lotions, and there are apparently some bulletin boards (the only ones I've found so far are for African American women) where they're using it to regrow hair (possibly from traction alopecia? didn't read too closely). In any event, the posters that have used it long term haven't reported any negative effects on hair. I think you're safe.

Please try to give it a good 6 months.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
good luck with the experiment, looking forward to your results.

I am giving it a serious thought to restart with peppermint in my oil mix, shampoos and hydro-alcoholic mix again.... I used lots of it.... just in my 60ml mix of PO shampoo Id put 1ml of peppermint and about 2ml of other e.oils...

peppermint oil being in so many hair products and shampoos makes me think there is a strong possibility its safe. this big pharma and cosmetics companies might know a thing or two we dont know.....

Menthol is in Tricomin as well.