Peanut Butter & Hair Loss

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
A long time bodybuilder friend of mine saw me at the gym the other day. He had truly grown and almost doubled in size, while I just got cut up with no massive weight gain. He asked me what I was taking and I told him Creatine and Whey. He asked me if I wanted to gain weight in just a week (obviously to this I answered: "Ugh, what do you think?"). He says to consume 3 jars of peanut butter within a week, and it's sure to add at least 4-5lbs. Anyone with good success using this method, and would I experience hairloss side effects from too much unsaturated fat and protein found in PB? Input is appreciated...

Late-

X

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
to be honest your friend doesnt know much of modern sports physiologie..
high caloric intake to gain weight is very old fashioned and counter effective (especially in the long run..its for intance very good to f*** up your insuline system)..

gaining weight ==is not gaining fat its about gaining lean muscle mass!!
this is a slow process...

altough peanut butter is healthy (due to the polyunsaturated fatty acids).. it contains a lot off calories.. the excess in calories will be turned to fat!
(a lot of it will be around your organs!! ...wich increases cardiac diseases)..
u can savely add peanut butter to your diet..but try not to eat more then 10% more calories than u use when u wanne gain lean body mass (try to eat protein rich food..but dont exaggerate.. also get the fats 15-25% of your diet from fish and for instance peanut butter...avoid single carbohydrates (exept directly after your excercise...than the act anabolic) ...eat complex carbo`s

besides high caloric intake increasses inflamation markers ...

G

im not sure if that post was a wind up but anyway.
if you arent gaining weight then you need to revise your weight program or your simple diet.
body builders do not need to eat any more protein than the standard population. the amount of protein needed to build muscle and maintain it is minute compared to keeping the body ticking over. and most people eat fat too much protein anyway.
peanut butter wont make your hair fall out to my knowledge but excess consumption for a prolonged period of time may make you want to vomit everytime you think of peanut butter.
or in more scientific terms... Poppycock!
and if anyone wants to take me to task on any of that be aware im a nutritionist with a strong biochemical background.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a big time fan of peanut butter, and can eat it all by itself (With a glass of water to wash it down of course). But on the real side, anything in excess isn't good, and surely I would get sick of it after 3 jars in just a week. However, if I can get 4-5 lbs of muscle tissue in just 7 days by doing this, I'm all for it, especially if it's only one week a month or so. Another important factor is that I strength-train for 2 hours 6 days a week, so any monounsaturated fat that enters my system is more likely to turn to muscle than fat, due to the consistent muscle exertion. Any feedback on this gentlemen? Descender, I'd like to hear your opinions on this too.

Xzel

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
i rub peanut butter all over my testicles and have my cat lick it off.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
descending_again said:
XL...once again...we need to talk :eek:

Hey hey hey, all I said is that I love peanut butter! I didn't say I was going to take the 3 jar plunge yet! :lol: What did you have in mind D?

XL

Reaction score
Yeah....I need to write down some stuff for you. I'm not big on the diet knowledge, but I know a bit about supplements.....and routines, and stratagies...and the like. But DOOD.....don't go with the peanut butter, ya jackass!!!! :D

G

>>body builders do not need to eat any more protein than the standard population. the amount of protein needed to build muscle and maintain it is minute compared to keeping the body ticking over. and most people eat fat too much protein anyway. >>

Since you are the "biochemist", perhaps you can produce some studies on your assertions that BBs and other athletes do not need more protein to build muscle, than say, your local CPA. Also. what data do you have to support the contention that "most people" eat too much protein anyway." Who are most people, and how much is too much? Data please?

Rather than opinion, can you back this up or is this just dogma????

Brucelee

G

When i counsell people every day based on my training, i dont have to back up every single point with research papers now do i?
and dont write biochemist in quotation marks, i know it must make you seem big but it just illustrates your bad communication skills.

G

>>When i counsell people every day based on my training, i dont have to back up every single point with research papers now do i? >>

Well lets see, you do assert strongly the points you made (about dietary protein needs) but can't back them up with any research? Did they teach you that approach in "biochemistry school"? Stong opinions trump research any day, huh?

Sounds like you have a mail order degree in "biochemistry"

Come back when you have done your homework!

Brucelee

G

Your reply didnt bear any relevance on what i said and what you quoted!
When i counsell people every day i dont provide research papers on every bit of advice i give based on my training!

When you have a headache do you traul the internet to search papers to see if aspirin works? Just to make sure its not a conspiracy against you? How about leaving the house? Is that a cancer risk? What about all those traffic fumes? Thats go you worried hasnt it?
Dickhead.

G

>>When i counsell people every day i dont provide research papers on every bit of advice i give based on my training! >>

No, nor did I suggest that you do so (or even that you counsel anyone for that matter). However, you asserted that BBs simply do not need more protein than the average person and that most folks eat too much protein. These statements are not as self evident that aspirin works on headaches.

If you can't see that, you are clearly in need of a course in remedial logic.

Oh, yes and calling someone a name such as Dickhead, would certainly prove your mettle as a biochemist! High level of dialog indeed!

Grow up! If you are going to arrogantly proclaim yourself an expert on this forum, you are going to have to better than you are doing so far. Easy to assert, tough to back it up, no?

Brucelee

G

what are you on about? im not an expert in hair loss!! im a nutritionist! pure and simple and i know a lot about it!
what is your problem? ok i will stop posting nutrition advice then!
f*** me.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
So that means that with 3 meals a day and the common 50-gram protein intake a day that a normal person consumes daily I will be able to build mass? I thought that when a muscle tissue is torn due to a strenous excersise, a higher supplementation of protein is required in order for the body not only to repair the ripped muscle, but also in order to build a larger muscle. It's common science. Can anybody clear this up?

Xzel

G

>>im a nutritionist! pure and simple and i know a lot about it! >>

You have failed to substantiate this claim. You simply keep repeating that you know a lot about it and that you have clients. Yet you have not provided any hard data to back up your claims.

We would have to conclude that you are deluded in your self assessment or that you are trying to mislead us.

Put up or shut up!

Brucelee

G

>> I thought that when a muscle tissue is torn due to a strenous excersise, a higher supplementation of protein is required in order for the body not only to repair the ripped muscle, but also in order to build a larger muscle. It's common science. Can anybody clear this up? >>

Here is one approach to this. If you want to gain muscle mass you will need to increase your caloric intake to some degree, all other things being equal.

In doing so, you would almost certainly increase your protein intake even if you kept the percentage of protein constant. Ergo, you would have to take in more protein to do the job.

Having said that, there ARE studies that support the intake of .6 gram of protein per one lb of bodyweight per day. If you were 200 lbs, that would 120 gms per day.

Notice I said some studies and this is far from an accepted fact in science today. But, you can experiment with little chance of harm.

So for 60 days, up your intake of protein to the appropriate amount and train for mucle mass (a whole sep conversation, no?). See what happens..

If you are happy with the outcome, great. If not, change.

Good luck

Brucelee

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Bruce. At the moment I am at 90 grams per day, but since I weigh 170lbs, I'm going to up the ante to 110 grams starting today. As I gain weight, I will re-proportion my protein intake. Thanks for clearing up the .6 ratio, since I was doing .5 and getting minimal results. I will report back about weight gain in 2 months.

XL

G

Good luck on this. Do you have a good weight routine that is focused on gaining mass? As you likely know, weight training is very specific, so if mass is what you are going for, the routines can be quite different than if you were going mostly for strength for example.

Peace my friend,

Brucelee

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Good luck on this. Do you have a good weight routine that is focused on gaining mass? As you likely know, weight training is very specific, so if mass is what you are going for, the routines can be quite different than if you were going mostly for strength for example.

Peace my friend,

Brucelee

Actually, I've been training for both simultaneously. The thing is, that I am very strong for the size that I have, so concentrating on mass right now would be the key to sucess in my regimen. You had any suggestions? Descender you could also contrubute if you want...

Holla bak!

X