Ototoxic drugs (Minoxodil) and hearing damage

Michael

Reaction score
Can anyone shed light on the ototoxic effect of topical Minoxodil please.

Ototoxic drugs damage the inner ear and cause tinnitus and hearing distortion and/or loss.

My hearing has deteriorrated over the last few years and it seems to conincide with when I started on topical Minoxodil.

The only reference to ototoxicity of minoxodil I can find is here http://www.hlaabq.com/ototoxicdrugs.html (external link, opens new browser window)

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
DidntReadLolYellowShirt.gif

T

Timi

Yes i have become Tinnitus from minoxidil
Ear Noise-Pipes in the Ears
Red burning Ears and Face-burning Nose
burning Sinus

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Timi has had every side effect under the sun from minoxidil. He is either a cat, or lying, or one in a billion with an extreme allergic reaction to Minoxidil, because he's the only poster I've ever seen across the many forums I've read stating such side effects.

Timi I don't know why you insist on posting this stuff in every minoxidil side effect thread. You're not saying anything useful like 'you should get allergy tested before using minoxidil because I'm allergic and it messed me up', you're just listing a load of crazy sides that no-one else on minoxidil has ever experienced. That really does nothing to help anyone.

I also don't see how you could have all those sides and not quit when you experienced your first side-effect, or did they all suddenly hit you on the same day?

T

Timi

hairhoper said:
Timi has had every side effect under the sun from minoxidil. He is either a cat, or lying, or one in a billion with an extreme allergic reaction to Minoxidil, because he's the only poster I've ever seen across the many forums I've read stating such side effects.

Timi I don't know why you insist on posting this stuff in every minoxidil side effect thread. You're not saying anything useful like 'you should get allergy tested before using minoxidil because I'm allergic and it messed me up', you're just listing a load of crazy sides that no-one else on minoxidil has ever experienced. That really does nothing to help anyone.

I also don't see how you could have all those sides and not quit when you experienced your first side-effect, or did they all suddenly hit you on the same day?

i was by the Doctor and testet
he says No Allergic
but when i apply minoxidil than swollen eyes and my ears get red
and and noise

I know not where should it come otherwise?

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeh sorry that post of mine was a bit aggressive. I honestly think if the minoxidil was the cause for your problems then you are literally a one in a billion, extremely rare case. :dunno:

Michael

Reaction score
Minoxidil is apparently ototoxic, but hearing problems are not a listed side effect. Presume this one is rare.

Here is some information on oxotoxic substances copied from another post:

Researched the latest workplace health and safety info and Oxotoxic substances combined with noise exposure is a significant source of hearing damage.
That is, oxotoxic drugs render your cochlear more easiliy damaged by noise exposure that would otherwise not be damaging.

Also, more information from another site, quoted below :

Cochlear side effects (Oxotoxicity)

Tinnitus:
Tinnitus, commonly called "ringing in the ears," is the number one indicator that you may be damaging your ears from an ototoxic drug. At least 447 drugs are known to cause tinnitus.4 Tinnitus can manifest itself as a wide variety of sounds. It may be a ringing, roaring, beating, clicking, banging, buzzing, hissing, humming, blowing, chirping, clanging, sizzling, whooshing, rumbling, whistling or dreadful shrieking noise in your head. It may also sound like rushing water, radio static, breaking glass, bells ringing, owls hooting or chainsaws running.3

Hearing loss:
More than 230 drugs are known to cause hearing loss.4 Hearing loss can range from mild to profound and may be temporary or permanent. One of the insidious things about ototoxic drugs is they generally first destroy hearing in the very high frequencies which are not normally tested (those above 8,000 Hz). Thus, you're not even aware you are losing your hearing until it is too late to do anything about it.

Distorted hearing:
Some drugs, instead of causing hearing loss (or in addition to causing hearing loss), cause hearing to be distorted so we do not understand some (or much) of what we are hearing.

Hyperacusis:
Hyperacusis is a condition where normal sounds are perceived as being much too loud. It is as though the body's internal volume control is stuck on "high." At least 38 drugs can cause this condition.4

Feelings of fullness in your ears:
You can experience this feeling for a few reasons. One, because your ears really are blocked by a middle ear infection or by earwax. Two, because your ears feel "blocked" because of sudden hearing loss. Three, exposure to loud sounds can result in a feeling of "fullness" too.

Auditory hallucinations:
At least 8 drugs can cause you to hear phantom sounds—voices and music that are not there. Another 165 drugs can cause hallucinations, some of which may be of the auditory variety.4 Most of these hallucinations seem to be the result of a damaged auditory system rather than the effects of a mental illness.
"
Reference:
http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles ... iology.htm (external link, opens new browser window)

I don't understand German, Timi, but I presume your link is a post about minoxidil symptoms silimar to yours.

Michael

Reaction score
Timi,
Does the ringing stop when you stop using minoxidil? Have you seen a doctor about the blisters and swelling?

T

Timi

i can not say is that 100% from minoxidil!

today i goes few Days in a Allergic Hospital

slowly i think that comes from finasteride
and High Bloodpressure than rings my ears!

17Years finasteride i hope i have not damaged my Body!

Timi

Michael

Reaction score
raptorizedamazing said:
There are no significant side affects to TOPICALLY APPLIED LIQUID MINOXIDIL. - My dermatologist.
Ask your dermatologist to explain to you how long-term topical application to your skin is entirely different to ingestion. This stuff does absorb into your surrounding tissue. If it didn't;
1. It would not be effective at stimulating hair growth (desired effect) and,
2. It would not cause unwanted hair growth other than the applied area (undesired side effect).

The cochlear is close to the scalp, so if the minoxidil or added diluents are ototoxic, it is entirely plausible that Minoxidil can damage hearing in some people in some situations..

Also consider for a side effect to be proven it must have affected a significant number of people in the same way. During clinical trials, the most likely side effects manifest themselves and the less common observations are also stated on the drug information as part of due diligence. Not all side effects get detected during clinical trials and printed on the drug information literature.

Addy1981

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.. I am living in Singapore and I started using monxidil 0.2 % last year in August 2015 and after 2 months I had vertigo Attack as I woke up in the morning. While turning towards right side I felt extreme dizziness and almost fainted . The stituation got better after 2 weeks. I informed my GP about using Regaine but he said its fine so continued Regaine Un aware after that.
But this year in April 2016 I got nausea and dizziness again one night after dinner. So I rushed to emergency. They gave me some medicine to clean my stomach and referred me to ENT.She did my hearing test and I was found to have asymmetric hearing mild hearing loss( high frequency). Doctor prescribed labryhthitis and told me to stop Regaine. She was also interested to know the side effects and searched online about it and told me that this could cause hearing loss. My vertigo is slightly getting better after 3 months but I heard it takes a Long time to get completely stable. Doctor has asked me to have hearing test after 1 month again...
Anyone else had same effects ??

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
She was also interested to know the side effects and searched online about it and told me that this could cause hearing loss.

I don't think it is very wise for a doctor to look online for the side effects of popular drugs. I guess there might be more reliable sources. So to speak.

Anyways, the copy of the leaflet says nothing about hearing problems

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/rogaine-side-effects.html
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a689003.html

charlie76761

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this thread is a joke; i have tinnitus in one ear that came from 12 year of nailing dutasteride.

I've tried to get on minoxidil several times as i want the growth, but each time i have to drop it as within hours of an application my tinnitus has intensified