Ot: We Can Finally Stop Demonizing Butter

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/we-can-finally-stop-demonizing-butter-1782887412

We Can Finally Stop Demonizing Butter
Mmm, Hong Kong-style French toast. (Image:avlxyz/Flickr)
An analysis by Tufts University researchers has failed to find a link between butter consumption and cardiovascular disease. And hallelujah to that—the ongoing hysteria against butter can now finally come to an end.

For years we’ve been told to reduce the amount of butter in our diets. Health guidelines, many of which have been around since the 1970s, have warned us about the dangers of eating food high in saturated fats, claiming—and often without merit—that they contribute to heart problems and other health issues. Increasingly, however, scientists are learning that saturated fats aren’t the demons they’ve been made out to be.

A new study published in PLOS ONE is now bolstering this changing tide of opinion, showing there’s no link between butter and chronic disease. This gigantic analysis—a meta-study that included a total of 636,151 individuals across 15 countries, and involving 6.5 million person-years of follow-up—showed no association between the consumption of butter and cardiovascular disease.

What the researchers did find, however, was that butter could be linked to a decrease—yes, a decrease—in a person’s chance of developing diabetes. Each daily tablespoon of butter was linked to a four percent lower risk of diabetes.

The downside is that researchers did connect butter with all-cause mortality, however. For each tablespoon of butter consumed each day, the researchers observed a one percent increase in all-cause mortality risk, that is, death from any cause. The researchers suspect this connection is due to other factors; people who eat butter, for example, tend to have generally worse diets and lifestyles.

So does this mean we can start slathering butter on our toast and waffles with reckless abandon, and douse our popcorn in this golden syrup of deliciousness? Well, not quite. This study shows that butter on its own isn’t a pure evil. But it shouldn’t be considered a health food, either. As the researchers put it, butter is a kind of “middle-of-the-road” food. And as is often the case, it’s the foods we put the butter on that’s the problem.

Indeed, butter is healthier than sugar or starches like bread, which have been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. On the other hand, butter is worse than many margarines and cooking oils, such as those rich in healthy fats, like soybean, canola, flaxseed, and extra virgin olive oils. Importantly, margarine made from trans fats should be avoided like the plague.

As study co-author Dariush Mozaffarian succinctly put it: “Overall, our results suggest that butter should neither be demonized nor considered ‘back’ as a route to good health.”

Mozaffarian and his colleagues said further research is still required to understand why butter is connected to a lower risk of diabetes, but similar things have been observed in studies of dairy fat. This could imply that other factors are at play. As the researchers concede, ‘[Our] study does not prove cause-and-effect.”

Here's the article in PLOS ONE:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0158118

Is Butter Back? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Butter Consumption and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, and Total Mortality

Abstract
Background
Dietary guidelines recommend avoiding foods high in saturated fat. Yet, emerging evidence suggests cardiometabolic benefits of dairy products and dairy fat. Evidence on the role of butter, with high saturated dairy fat content, for total mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes remains unclear. We aimed to systematically review and meta-analyze the association of butter consumption with all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes in general populations.

Methods and Findings
We searched 9 databases from inception to May 2015 without restriction on setting, or language, using keywords related to butter consumption and cardiometabolic outcomes. Prospective cohorts or randomized clinical trials providing estimates of effects of butter intake on mortality, cardiovascular disease including coronary heart disease and stroke, or diabetes in adult populations were included. One investigator screened titles and abstracts; and two reviewed full-text articles independently in duplicate, and extracted study and participant characteristics, exposure and outcome definitions and assessment methods, analysis methods, and adjusted effects and associated uncertainty, all independently in duplicate. Study quality was evaluated by a modified Newcastle-Ottawa score. Random and fixed effects meta-analysis pooled findings, with heterogeneity assessed using the I2 statistic and publication bias by Egger’s test and visual inspection of funnel plots. We identified 9 publications including 15 country-specific cohorts, together reporting on 636,151 unique participants with 6.5 million person-years of follow-up and including 28,271 total deaths, 9,783 cases of incident cardiovascular disease, and 23,954 cases of incident diabetes. No RCTs were identified. Butter consumption was weakly associated with all-cause mortality (N = 9 country-specific cohorts; per 14g(1 tablespoon)/day: RR = 1.01, 95%CI = 1.00, 1.03, P = 0.045); was not significantly associated with any cardiovascular disease (N = 4; RR = 1.00, 95%CI = 0.98, 1.02; P = 0.704), coronary heart disease (N = 3; RR = 0.99, 95%CI = 0.96, 1.03; P = 0.537), or stroke (N = 3; RR = 1.01, 95%CI = 0.98, 1.03; P = 0.737), and was inversely associated with incidence of diabetes (N = 11; RR = 0.96, 95%CI = 0.93, 0.99; P = 0.021). We did not identify evidence for heterogeneity nor publication bias.

Conclusions
This systematic review and meta-analysis suggests relatively small or neutral overall associations of butter with mortality, CVD, and diabetes. These findings do not support a need for major emphasis in dietary guidelines on either increasing or decreasing butter consumption, in comparison to other better established dietary priorities; while also highlighting the need for additional investigation of health and metabolic effects of butter and dairy fat.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No.
It's certainly a source of oxidised cholesterol - a cousin of trans fat.
(And meta-studies are worth nothing.)

LOL whatever. Your here-say from 1985 is worth a lot, but meta studies from 2016 are worth nothing? OK.

There is nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol, it's not the same thing as blood cholesterol which has been shown many times. Researchers have tried hard, really hard, to vindicate your fantasy, and they've failed to link dietary and serum cholesterol.

Here's a study on ghee (clarified butter), showing that it decreases blood cholesterol and fats:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215354/

By all means: Stick to bread, vegetable oil, and margarine, and get cancer, high blood pressure, and heart disease.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Butter is better then fake crap. But let's be real. Butter is high concentrations of calories. You're better off without it period. Calories in calories out.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Butter is better then fake crap. But let's be real. Butter is high concentrations of calories. You're better off without it period. Calories in calories out.

Butter gives you calories (energy) without raising your insulin levels. So it doesn't slow down your metabolism the way sugar does.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Butter gives you calories (energy) without raising your insulin levels. So it doesn't slow down your metabolism the way sugar does.

1 table spoon of butter has over 100 calories. Go ahead and pile the butter on everything you eat and see what happens.
While you're at it use lots of salad dressing on your healthy salad.

I'm not saying butter is bad. But it's about your lifestyle. If you're eating 5 red lobster biscuits and the buttered up lobster everyday and aren't working the calories off through exercise you will get fat.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing with sugar is that it doesn't satiate your hunger. I've given up cereal, pop, and juice for the most part for this reason.

My concern with butter is people will glorify it and eat too much of it.

Im a huge proponent of raw fruits and vegetables. and meat. Carbs are good for when you're doing excessive exercises. Dairy is good when you're working muscles. In the end it comes down to one simple equation: calories in, calories out. Doesn't matter if your calories came from fat(butter) carbs (bread) or protein (meat)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
1 table spoon of butter has over 100 calories. Go ahead and pile the butter on everything you eat and see what happens.
While you're at it use lots of salad dressing on your healthy salad.

I'm not saying butter is bad. But it's about your lifestyle. If you're eating 5 red lobster biscuits and the buttered up lobster everyday and aren't working the calories off through exercise you will get fat.

Let me know of anybody that gets fat off a high-calorie, high-fat diet.

It's not an issue without a lot of carbs. Fat doesn't get converted to adipose fat well, and is in any case satisfying.

Butter tastes good in small quantities, but you won't eat 4,000 calories a day of the stuff. It's quite distinct from chocolate chip cookies and coca cola in that sense.

They've tried overeating studies with meat, it doesn't work. You can't overeat on meat nearly as easily.

So your example is wrong. You're not going to overeat butter. You're going to eat moderate butter and then feel full.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
You didn't read what I said. I said meat is good.

Do you drink skim milk? Why not whole milk? Butter is just the separation of the butterfat from the milk.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
You know how much butter is used on chocolate chip cookies? It's like a whole stick in a batch. It's gross.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You didn't read what I said. I said meat is good.

Do you drink skim milk? Why not whole milk? Butter is just the separation of the butterfat from the milk.

Skim milk is disgusting, and in general I consider low-fat dairy products to be bad for you.

Low-fat yogurt.
Low-fat milk.
Dangerous, disgusting sh*t.

I'm moving to the USA in September. It's very hard to find real yogurt there. They only sell low-fat yogurt. Americans think that Greek yogurt means low fat. I'm not looking forward to having a hard time finding real yogurt.

The yogurt I bought today in Australia, per 100 grams serving,
5.5 grams protein
10 grams of fat
8.5 grams of carbs

That's real yogurt. Hard to find in the USA. They sell unhealthy low-fat sh*t. And in turn, Americans are substantially fatter.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know how much butter is used on chocolate chip cookies? It's like a whole stick in a batch. It's gross.

It's not the butter that's gross in chocolate chip cookies. The butter is fine. Lard would be ok too. Cocoa butter would be ok too. Avocado would be ok too.

The sugar though?

Not good.

If you have to eat cookies, the high-fat cookies are less bad for you than the low-fat cookies.

Honestly man you come off as having absorbed the standard unhealthy low-fat doctrine that the medical establishment pushed in the 1980s and 1990s.

Are you one of those people who eats egg whites and removes the egg yolks because he's afraid of the cholesterol and saturated fat?

lol.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Photo courtesey of google. This is the yogurt I eat.

Attachments

• old-home-plain-greek.jpg
    old-home-plain-greek.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 191

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong.. I use butter. And not the low-fat kind. The only low-fat thing I go for is skim milk. I'm just saying calories in calories out. A steak has let's say 500 calories in it depending on how much "butter" and other crap you put on it. Whereas you can easily eat a 1500 calorie salad by putting too much cashews and dressing on it.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm saying the steak is better for you.. cause you will probably misinterpret me like you always do.